RPG Maker Forums

BurningOrca
BurningOrca
I just hope I can post under myself. 140 characters are not very much. They are satisfying to beat, but mostly not worth the time, unless the game is real fun and has no time limit.
bgillisp
bgillisp
Agreed. Too many games now think final boss = HP brick that takes longer to defeat than it takes to watch the movie Titanic.
bgillisp
bgillisp
After all you can do an epic final boss fight and only have it take 5 minutes if you do it well. See also about any 80's/90's RPG.
cabfe
cabfe
I remember when I faced the boss of FF10. Unbeatable without heavy grinding. Even with cheats, it took a lot of time and it was boring. Cool game, bad final boss.
NeoFantasy
NeoFantasy
I'd much rather the boss take a long time because it's difficult and I need to find the perfect strategy than it just being a damage sponge. Fire Emblem Warriors did this where you'd just end up attacking a boss unit forever.
Poryg
Poryg
I don't mind bosses you can't beat in the blind run. I just hate it when the "difficulty curve" is out of bounds.
Aoi Ninami
Aoi Ninami
Depends what you mean by "blind". I wouldn't expect every boss in a game to be beatable on the first try, especially optional bosses. I would like to need a few attempts to get to know them and have to think about strategies for them. But if I can't beat a boss because of choices I made earlier in the game when I had no idea what to expect, then yes, that's bad.
bgillisp
bgillisp
@cabfe : Not sure if we mean the same boss, but I found the final boss in FF10 fell really easily once you inflicted it with Zombie.

@NeoFantasy : About every 80's/90's western RPG says hello here. In most of those you'd die often and quickly but once you found the strategy it was over in a few minutes. Except for Pools of Darkness. I haven't heard of anyone who has beaten that final boss without cheating.
Marsigne
Marsigne
Thankfully I've been saved from that. The original Kingdom Hearts didn't even have the super-difficult optional boss in it. ;)
OmnislashXX
OmnislashXX
An optional boss? Fine. One that is required? Meh. Actually, I would expect that a boss be difficult for those going in blind. You have to use strategy to beat.
Marsigne
Marsigne
@OmnislashXX Going blind doesn't mean not using strategy, it merely refers to the fact that they don't have any spoilers from outsiders. ;)
OmnislashXX
OmnislashXX
Ah. You mean like not using any Gamefaqs to win. No harm, no foul.
Marsigne
Marsigne
Yep. While it's pretty easy to get spoilered on the main plot, having a spoiler on such bosses would generally give a big advantage against said boss.
BurningOrca
BurningOrca
I don't mind if it has very high HP and is still beatable using a good strategy once the area where the boss recides is unlocked, but if it needs hours of griding or perfect knowlegde of the game mechanics it is just a overcomplicated and bad boss.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hey everyone! No Studio Blue RPG Maker Critiques Stream today! But you can always check the playlist for old streams you've missed!

I ran out of paper sheets to draw, so I guess I'm forced to do digital for a while now...
x778xt8.jpg

Still haven0t found a colouring style that I like :kaoswt:
woods.pngshop.jpgboss.jpgRoom.png

Mapping is becoming so much easier!
FirestormNeos wrote on Neikoku's profile.
the cat in your profile picture is adorable
Are the default-size "chibi" sprites really a bad thing for a project? I'm not planning to sell my game anyway but I was wondering if they were as hated as some videos seem to claim...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gh05tinblack