Comments on Profile Post by Tai_MT

1. Mystic_Enigma
    Mystic_Enigma
    You said it! What's the point of putting us through a tough battle if they're just going to just make me lose anyway? It's a waste of time and not fun...
    Jul 3, 2019
    Tai_MT likes this.
  2. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Or end it before you waste time and restoratives, like say after the first turn?
    Jul 3, 2019
  3. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    For me, it's more about the tease. If you are putting me in combat, it gives me the expectation that I can win that combat. Having me lose at all, once you put me in that combat, through no fault of my own... even if I could've curb-stomped your monster...

It makes me angry. I'm quite tired of it.
    Jul 3, 2019
  4. cabfe
    cabfe
    Some games make it obvious when you deal 0 damage, but some others are lying to us and that's not good :(
    Jul 3, 2019
  5. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Well, just like in RL, you can't win everything you fight. But yes, some games are bad about it, Fairy Fencer F for instance I was laying the smackdown on the boss, then when it was about half dead it went to the cutscene "We can't beat it!". Really? I seemed to have been doing quite well, thank you very much.
    Jul 3, 2019
  6. zerobeat032
    zerobeat032
    my biggest issue with these kind of setups are when I blow through a bunch of decent items before realizing "I'm supposed to lose"...
    Jul 3, 2019
  7. Wavelength
    Wavelength
    This is really similar to what we were discussing in "Despair for 15 Seconds" and... I'm not totally sure how I feel about it! Like you, I don't like the "tease" of being set up like I have a chance in the combat. But I also don't like the "disrespect" of having something happen to my characters in...
    Jul 3, 2019
  8. Wavelength
    Wavelength
    ...a cutscene that I *should* be able to prevent through the means of normal gameplay (like a villain walking up right in front of me and kidnapping a character, or outright overpowering my characters). To me, that can be worse than the tease. I know there must be some better way - but I don't know what that way is.
    Jul 3, 2019
  9. Windows i7
    Windows i7
    In a game I plan on making, this will be in there but as a tutorial level which can be skipped. Any used items would be restored after battle.
    Jul 3, 2019
  10. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    The best way I've ever seen it tackled was the way it was done in Chrono Trigger. On your first playthrough, there seems to be a point where you MUST lose. You MUST lose Chrono. The thing is... You don't have to.

You can beat the game. Right here. Right now. If you do, you get an ending and everything.

I think this is the way it should be tackled. But, that's my personal preference.
    Jul 3, 2019