RPG Maker Forums

Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Toldya :D Now just wait until you go up in difficulty... start getting into "Hard" difficulty or "Hardest". Then, the game demands you be TACTICAL!
bgillisp
bgillisp
Only tried Hard a couple of times to be silly, but it looked more like everyone dies but you, kill all of these aliens. But I'm only on mission 18 so far too.
bgillisp
bgillisp
Also so far I'm only playing as a Ranger. Dabbled into the Lancer, but too sluggish for my tastes.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
The AI allies tend to die more frequently on higher difficulties, unless you spend more time "babysitting" them. Most often than not, they exist to soak up aggro for you and provide minimal weapon support. When I played as Wing Diver, they were immensely useful as I could die very easily. But, I still had to "babysit" them and use them tactically on harder difficulties.
Windows i7
Windows i7
Personally, the wing diver is my favorite class partly because blasting an enemy's face in with the rapier is so fun.
bgillisp
bgillisp
Well, up to mission 25. My only gripe is the game is refusing to give me better rocket launchers, which makes the missions I need them in tough. Gotta love RNG drops.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
It gives better rocket launchers based on the difficulty and level you're doing. Each one is a "set level". So, you don't usually get a good rocket launcher until you've hit the next threshold for it. Honestly, rocket launchers are only good if you don't have access to sniper rifles or rapid fire guns. I've found that any gun that fires fast is worth more than a single blast of a gun that must be reloaded.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
For perspective, the Wing Diver gets access to some very powerful "Plasma Launchers", which are rocket launchers. The best ones drain all their jetpack and leave them immobile for like 15 seconds at a time. Unable to reload, unable to fly. Because of this, I typically use "short range" lance type shots that can be fired lots of times before reload to inflict more damage.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Early in the game, I had a particularly powerful Rocket Launcher for the Wing Diver that did 4000 damage on impact. Here's the problem... 15 seconds to reload it and I was essentially immobile. Meanwhile, my lance fires 14 shots before needing a reload, doesn't overheat me, and the whole clip hitting one target is 6400 damage.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Rockets are good for large groups of enemies or long range targets. Nothing more. Rapid Fire Weapons are overall the best thing you can field. Especially if you're playing solo. In the case of Wing Divers this is the Rapier weapons or the Lance weapons. In the case of other classes, it's usually just assault rifles or some kind. Anything Rapid Fire is just the best thing you can use. If you're playing solo.
bgillisp
bgillisp
I do find the rapid fire gun good, but for missions like taking out dropships I have to use a rocket launcher too, and that is where not getting a good one is hurting as I can't put a better weapon in the slot I'm using for that.
bgillisp
bgillisp
Though...funny story. To be silly I put the game on hard and did mission 2 and ended up getting a super powerful machine gun and a rocket launcher that fires 12 rockets at once, 4 ammo. Now the mission maps look like I'm going for a scorched earth policy as I can just blow everything up.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Ha ha. You can actually fire your regular gun into the dropship holes. :D it feels less impactful to do it that way, but it works just as well.

As the Wing Diver, I often just fly up into the hatches of the dropships with my Rapier running full throttle (it basically fires a million super short range lasers in a lawn mower pattern) to blow them up.
bgillisp
bgillisp
Ok, I looked up what was going on, and I thought you could find you know upgrades like a level 1 Stingray with a small boost. Seems that is not the case, which is why I was stuck with a peashooter until I hit a level where I could get a level 9 or so weapon drop.

Not sure what the point of listing a weapon level is then though if you can't find small upgrades to them. Seems extraneous.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
The weapon level serves two purposes.
1. It keeps people from bringing overpowered weapons into the multiplayer for the content being run. The first mission on Easy or Normal only allows up to Level 2 equipment.
2. It's an easy measure to determine what levels/difficulty you need to be on in order to farm any weapon you've missed. The last level on Easy difficulty gives Level 20 weapons.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
If you're playing EDF5, however, your weapons do "upgrade" over time if you collect multiple copies. But, they do still have the "Level" on them. For the same two purposes as above.
bgillisp
bgillisp
I can understand the first point but the second they really need to put that info I game as I dont see where it tells me what level items I'll get on this mission
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
It doesn't really tell you where you pick up each item, but if you missed one, it's a blank slot. So, you really just need to remember the level of the biggest item you picked up. In general, you get a new level weapon every 5-10 levels or so. So, if you need a level 20 weapon or so, you can just do the last mission on "Normal" if you missed one. It's just for "completion" sake. If you care about the cheeve.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

convention concluded, i'm glad the books well received and sold out
not every content is decent, but i'll be better for the next work.

now back to game developing
I hope to be able to post my vxace resource edits this Wednesday.
Not sure if I'll get to the library though.
Me: Man, I'm definitely burned out this time. Time for a break. Me three hours later: I'm ready to work again, let's go! Me another hour later: Okay, I can't do this anymore. Repeat for infinity.
Just got MV and am working on porting over my new game from VX Ace to it! I haven't done much with my new game so it should be pretty quick.
I was doing forge runs on D2 with my wife last night, and singing like a leprechaun to annoy her XD. I was calling it 'The Farge'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lacy