Comments on Profile Post by Tai_MT

1. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    EDF4.1 is 89 levels, and I do honestly feel like it could be a little shorter as I'm at mission 67 and they are starting to blur now and get repetitive.
    Jul 17, 2019
  2. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Yeah, the series seems to get progressively longer as you play. Not necessarily a bad thing. You see a lot of "repeat" levels with new spins on them. Usually the popular levels. EDF5 introduces a more in-depth storyline and lots more dialogue and story missions. It doesn't really "feel" long until I'm running battlefield cleanup and trying to get weapons/armor before the mission ends.
    Jul 17, 2019
  3. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Just finished a ranger at Normal. Probably going to just dabble in it from there, as it took me 4 days to get that far, and I got other things I want to do.
    Jul 18, 2019
    Tai_MT likes this.
  4. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Didja enjoy the story? Fighting the ceiling? I loved the fight against the ceiling... it's pretty brutal if you aren't prepared. I kind of wonder if I'll fight the ceiling again in EDF5, since so many of the enemies have changed. I hope I do, and then there's a worse threat. I'm 40 missions into EDF5 as a Ranger on Easy. I'll probably do a Wing Diver next on Easy. I enjoy the completion. :D
    Jul 18, 2019
  5. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Story was a little all over the place, and a few less missions would have helped consolidate it. I thought it odd for instance we would fight something but it was protected by plot armor, but then we'd ignore it then take it on 10 missions or so later.
    Jul 18, 2019
  6. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Earth Eater? I'd done a decent job damaging them up to the final mission so I wasn't worried. But I had a couple weapons I'd farmed on a mission on Hardest too so had a slight edge :)
    Jul 18, 2019
  7. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Yeah, I found it slightly annoying as well, with the "plot armor". I think they do take damage, they just need to take so much damage that it's not really worth doing. On a few missions, I managed to kill stuff I wasn't meant to, but not all of them. Managed to freeze my game that way on two occasions, ha ha.
    Jul 18, 2019
  8. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    My initial battle with the "Earth Eaters" when they were introduced made them easy. The Final Mission though kicked my butt once it started "shifting stages". It was a fun romp once I finally managed to open a hole in the freakin' defenses. Made me have to consider some strategy, at least.
    Jul 18, 2019
  9. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Well, I shouldn't say "freeze my game". I should probably say that the "trigger" for the mission ending was gone without the thing there... so... the mission would just never end. I blew up hives when they were meant to have plot armor... and the Mothership pretty early... Those two got me to have "never ending missions". But, many of the other threats didn't matter.
    Jul 18, 2019
  10. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I myself think it would have been better to do say we try to take out the wasp nest, we retreat, then we come back and try again in the next mission. Not 10 missions later with no new plan, just a we got to do it now. Or just let me take it out the first time.

The others were better as you had a new plan or learned the weak spot the 2nd time. But that one just felt off to me.
    Jul 18, 2019
    Tai_MT likes this.
  11. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    EDF5 handles it better. We run up against a fortress early on and the initial plan is just "overwhelming force!" and then the cannons come online and it starts releasing a ton of ships and it's "retreat! we're taking heavy losses!". A few missions later (I think about 10), they say they've got a new plan to take it out. Approach during a sandstorm and have two demolition teams, a Plan A and Plan B.
    Jul 18, 2019
  12. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    This plan goes a bit better, but the sandstorm fades like... nearly immediately after arriving and then it's a mad scramble for the teams to try to set up their explosives. They no sooner than get explosives started and the fortress suddenly pulls itself out of the ground and begins walking and stomping, smashing your army up.
    Jul 18, 2019
  13. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Then, you're told "Plan B!" The mission ends and the next mission is trying to execute Plan B as the Fortress stomps through the city, unleashing gunfire everywhere. Plan B doesn't go well as there's no weakpoint that opens up on the bottom (there's a hatch for it, but it doesn't open). Your uber tanks are smashed during the mission and you're told to "Retreat!" when Plan B fails as well.
    Jul 18, 2019
  14. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I'm 40 missions in and we have no plan for defeating the fortress, but it sometimes makes an appearance to lay the hurt on any army we're using, as it "walks through the area" and deploys a ton of troops. The Godzilla thing went really well too...
    Jul 18, 2019
  15. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    With Godzilla, it just shows up in the middle of a regular mission and the objective changes to, "Take it out!". You pour on damage until it's almost dead and it runs away, out of the map. I assume you can kill it, but I couldn't pour on enough damage. The dialogue says we retreated. But, about 20 missions later... We've got specialized tanks now to kill it, and a huge operation to do so.
    Jul 18, 2019
  16. Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    So, we go through the motion of the mission and the new tanks actually do a crapload of damage to it, and we actually put it down. However, in the middle of the fight, the radio is alive with chatter about a new giant monster headed our way. We are like, "We'll just kill it too!". It doesn't work. It smashes through our new tanks and we're told to Retreat. Overall, just much better storytelling.
    Jul 18, 2019