Comments on Profile Post by standardplayer

1. HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    For me, I think of a solution, but then I get distracted by 6 million other things that are way harder and probably make no sense. By the time I've worked through those, I forget what the solution was to the initial problem (or forget that I needed to work on it in the first place).
    Jul 22, 2019
    Poryg and standardplayer like this.
  2. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    FACTS I am constantly working on solutions I forgot I already had lol, I hate that!
    Jul 22, 2019
  3. Poryg
    Poryg
    As a chess player I have learned to visualize an approximate structure of the thing. So I usually know what I want to do in theory, then I just need to put it in practice.
    Hell, I can't wait to master C++... That's going to put my visualisation skill to another level :D
    Jul 22, 2019
    standardplayer likes this.
  4. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    I'm so sick of this. You C++ folks look down on us C#.NET users from your memory-managed tower. Well, in a programming sense, it's lower level, so you're looking up at us. But still, down with the programming elitists (or up?)
    Jul 22, 2019
    Poryg likes this.
  5. Poryg
    Poryg
    I actually don't look down on C#, I just don't like it. Syntactically I don't like it and as a security officer by heart I hate the fact that it's easy to decompile into human readable code (even though people constantly tell me not to worry about it, I'm a perfectionist, so I do).
    Jul 22, 2019
  6. Poryg
    Poryg
    C++ compiles into machine code, so if you strip it off debug information, it's impossible to decompile into human readable code. And if you use virtual functions, you can further mess with disassemblers. Although it's true, the memory management and pointer stuff is a pain :(
    Jul 22, 2019
  7. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    I'm only kidding, I never got that feeling from you. I'm sure you've seen or heard the 'C++ over C#' sentiment though, some people can't do some things without letting everyone know why they don't do another.
    Jul 22, 2019
    Poryg likes this.
  8. Poryg
    Poryg
    Absolutely. Fanboy battles are everywhere. In fact I've seen even videos such as "Why is Javascript better than C++"... I could not believe my eyes when I saw it! Especially considering the fact that Javascript interpreters need to be written in a language that compiles into machine code, so if A cannot even be without B, how can it be better?
    Jul 22, 2019
  9. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    Haha see when someone says something like that it blows my mind. It just sounds wrong. 'JavaScript is better than' is usually a risky statement. Let alone the 'is JavaScript a TRUE OOP?' debate. stackexchange and stackoverflow are less fanboy battlegrounds and more 'fierce glasses-push' battles
    Jul 22, 2019
    Poryg likes this.
  10. Poryg
    Poryg
    Javascript is not a true OOP. Syntactically it is, but not on low level. On low level all that happens is that objects actually get copied from their base "class".
    Jul 22, 2019
  11. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    There are other arguments I make, too. For one, type-safety is a hallmark of OOP, and JS is not 'inherently' type safe at all. Second, since the prototype chain isn't true inheritance, ECMA updates may syntactically adapt to look more C-like, but that's more an argument against it being OOP
    Jul 22, 2019
  12. Poryg
    Poryg
    Actually, the class inside ES6 makes the inheritance true. Also, C does not use objects, only C++ does :p
    Jul 22, 2019
  13. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    When I said C-like, I just meant C-based languages. In general, the syntax of JS, especially as the functionality grows favors C languages over Basic languages, for example.
    Jul 22, 2019
  14. Poryg
    Poryg
    C, C++ and Java have a lot of syntactical similarities, so it's only natural that Javascript tries to look like them as they're used a ton. If you ask me, I hate python's syntax, because even though it forces you to indent, I find the curly brackets easier to read.
    Jul 22, 2019
  15. HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    Python and Ruby are good for if you don't know any other languages. I never really bothered to learn much RGSS because its syntax is virtually unrecognizable.
    Jul 23, 2019
    Poryg and standardplayer like this.
  16. Poryg
    Poryg
    True, not to mention, with node.js we are now getting our hands on a really powerful tool that uses JS syntax. So Ruby on Rails is losing on popularity. Python still maintains its, because it's useful in data analysis and machine learning.
    Jul 23, 2019
    standardplayer and HexMozart88 like this.