Comments on Profile Post by Poryg

1. Poryg
    Poryg
    Nevertheless, they ultimately fail. Emotions don't work on me and since my points have logical/factual foundation, in topics where emotions don't/shouldn't play too much of a role they are often more relevant than emotional arguments with no logical basis. So if you want to beat me in a debate, fight me with facts, not emotions.
    Jul 23, 2019
    Lornsteyn and Elliott404 like this.
  2. Elliott404
    Elliott404
    "B-but-! Think about children!"
    Jul 23, 2019
  3. Ami
    Ami
    people are debate without fact like a whimpy kid for me.
    Jul 23, 2019
  4. Poryg
    Poryg
    From the standpoint of natural selection children are not as important as a mature woman, because children have a higher danger of death, this not achieving adulthood, while an adult woman can have more children.
    Jul 23, 2019
  5. Blackyu
    Blackyu
    Oh hey, someone with the same sense of logic as me !
    Nobody wants to debate with me in my circles cause I ditched quite a bit of my morals to become as logical/factual as possible so they end up being either wrong or off-topic. (or actually *blaming me* for debating logically ??)
    Jul 23, 2019
  6. Blackyu
    Blackyu
    People can't seem to accept that facts and logical deductions from said facts are usually what makes humanity advance.
    I'm honestly curious to know if there have been cases of human advancement thanks to emotions. Maybe a few ? Or perhaps it would be more accurate that both facts and emotions more often than not worked together for human advancement ?
    Jul 23, 2019
  7. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Depends on what you mean by "advancement" I guess
    Jul 23, 2019
  8. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Personally, I prefer to debate/discuss something factual like science than something as ambiguous as society, emotion, or politics. Although as a matter of FACT, people do have emotions.
    Jul 23, 2019
  9. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    The purpose of communication is to effectively transmit understanding from one person to another/others. Anything one does to make that more difficult is, logically, taking away from the purpose of communication.
    Jul 23, 2019
  10. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    This includes being all moral/ no logic, but it also includes being all logic/no morals. If one's own choice leaves one less capable of communicating, the hallmark of which is saying 'others' are at to blame, it would wind up being one's own fault
    Jul 23, 2019
  11. Lornsteyn
    Lornsteyn
    Everyone have different moral, so I prefer logic over it.
    But I must say I stopped debating with people and is pointles in most cases, it just annoys me.
    Its easier to support people who share my view and have better speech skills than me.
    Jul 23, 2019
    HexMozart88 likes this.
  12. HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    I try not to debate as much anymore, because normally it just ends in people trying to win by shouting nonsense and refusing to be proven otherwise.
    Jul 24, 2019
  13. Blackyu
    Blackyu
    @TheoAllen I guess it's pretty subjective as well. I just think that we can solve problems better using logic and facts, and therefore don't see much emotion in human advancement. But I don't know, I might be missing something.
    Jul 24, 2019
  14. Blackyu
    Blackyu
    @standardplayer Makes sense, but how does focusing on logic and facts make it harder to communicate with me ? I'm open to discussion, but many people end up ragequitting said discussions because they don't like logic, am I still at fault ?
    Jul 24, 2019
  15. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    @Blackyu i was responding to the subject of Poryg's status.... I wasn't directing it at anyone. Since you asked, though, I know several people personally that describe themselves as logical and say much of the same. It's always that person complaining though, never the 'ragequitters'.
    Jul 24, 2019
  16. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    Also I'll say this, one should be careful when about thinking one's arguments themselves are what makes someone no longer want to talk. Perhaps the experience of speaking with a person is what drives another away. My boss is wrong all the time (one of the logic people). However, what he calls logic is less so and more 'bringing up irrelevant true points in place of relevant ones'
    Jul 24, 2019
  17. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    @Blackyu human body chemistry is unique. One may be true for one but may not true for another. One may take critique because that is what makes them better. One may prefer compliment. Besides, better itself is subjective and depends on the context.
    Jul 24, 2019
  18. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    That said, I usually prefer to define "goal of the discussion" first before proceeding further. One of the examples is what do you mean by "advancement". Without an agreement of the definition, it can only lead to disagreement or even conflict.
    Jul 24, 2019
  19. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    @Poryg you've done it again, by the way. Like the YouTube search algorithm, Poryg's exact method for selecting invigorating status topics that draw large responses is held close to the chest, and is a sought after trade secret.
    Jul 24, 2019
  20. Poryg
    Poryg
    @standardplayer Actually, I have yet to make a status update people answer with at least 50 comments. So it's not really true :p
    Jul 24, 2019
    standardplayer likes this.