RPG Maker Forums

bgillisp
bgillisp
As in, 3 level 99 + 1 level 1 = average of 74.5, which is what the game will scale to. The Level 99's will usually destroy the monsters still though, even though the level 1 dies easily.
Milennin
Milennin
It's one of those mechanics that sounds good, but is too easy to exploit. Though it depends on the game. If an RPG levels up party members that don't participate in battle, it can be used to avoid exploiting the system.
cabfe
cabfe
Maybe they can scale based on the most advanced level? To force you to use everybody.
bgillisp
bgillisp
@cabfe : That would cause a new problem if you accidentally ended up with 1 level 99 and everyone else is level 1. Then you'll never get the low level characters leveled up.
Poryg
Poryg
@bgillisp I wouldn't be afraid of that to be frank. That's why we have saves.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
How to break level scaling: Run ahead, ignore all battles, run from everything... get high level equipment... don't bother leveling up at all if possible... Steamroll enemies when they give you a crapload of XP late in the game. Breaking all challenge.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I tend to prefer devs not bother scaling enemies... and instead give enemies gimmicks that make them a threat at any level. It's a good indicator that they've actually spent some time trying to balance their combat rather than just fiddling with stats and trying to punish the player.
Wavelength
Wavelength
Main reason I don't like Level Scaling Enemies is that it takes away the sense of reward (and power fantasy) from fighting and winning battles.
leenat40
leenat40
I feel like having it would be for the best. Player choice is never a bad thing
Poryg
Poryg
I actually like level scaling if done properly. It's not just stats you can tinker with, but skills too. Oblivion has nice level scaling, it's just the leveling itself that sucks.
cabfe
cabfe
Oblivion and its common bandits wearing top-class Daedric armor at the end of the game? I wouldn't call that "done properly", it looked ridiculous :D
Poryg
Poryg
But meeting trolls instead of wolves, minotaurs instead of scamps and large daedras instead of dremoras was cool @cabfe :P Humans in there are a wasted potential anyway.
cabfe
cabfe
That's the same thing. Rare monsters become common, even in places where you wouldn't put them if it were by hand. I'm not a fan of this system.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I am feeling better about my update schedule, I feel like I am actually getting consistent work done even if it isn’t big updates.
It's a joy to work on a well-made map. I am not regretting this commission in the least!
I'm currently being attacked by the RPG Maker Hydra: fixing one problem only to have two more rise to take its place.
Hey you! Yeah YOU! Whatcha doin' not backing up your projects? You a masochist or sumthin'? GO BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS! Sheeesh... Didn't think I'd hafta spell it out for yas.
now I need to determine, how MV determines if an auto tile is complete or not.
Edit:From what I can tell it uses Autotile kinds to do that.
Edit 2: The editor determines it and packs picture data for the engine....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintypatronus