Comments on Profile Post by Ragpuppy87

1. HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    It's hard to find a completely original name. If there's no game with that title, there's probably some other media that has it. There are a lot of games out there.
    Aug 11, 2019
    Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  2. cabfe
    cabfe
    Stay away from the Fantasy Tales of the Legend of the Final Crystal and the like :)
    Aug 11, 2019
  3. Poryg
    Poryg
    Well, the longer the game name is, the less chances are it already exists.
    Either way, steer clear of "The overly epic adventures of an underpowered main character and his violent little sister (with a little sister complex) living inside a generic world with generic action fantasy anime-like rules"! That's mine. :p
    Aug 11, 2019
    Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  4. Poryg
    Poryg
    Another way to solve it is through adding your name in front of the game. For example in order to avoid copyright battles with a certain boardgame Sid Meier added "Sid Meier's" in front of his Civilization game.
    Aug 11, 2019
    Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  5. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Mine had 108 similar titles when I did a search. But the main thing you have to watch out for is trademarked names, as you can't use those at all.
    Aug 11, 2019
    Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  6. Ragpuppy87
    Ragpuppy87
    It looks like it is trademarked actually... Does that apply to free to play games as well? I never had plans of making it commercial...
    Or do I need to change "Cat Quest" to something far less catchy... "Feline Journey" etc?
    Aug 11, 2019
  7. Ragpuppy87
    Ragpuppy87
    Maybe a subtitle? "Cat Quest- The Last Catmancer"
    Aug 12, 2019
  8. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    You probably will have to change it then, if it is trademarked. Though check and see if the trademark has expired too.
    Aug 12, 2019
    Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  9. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Aug 12, 2019
    Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  10. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I did just search it for you, and it says the only trademarks for it under that exact name are dead, expired in 2005. This doesn't clear it 100%, only a legal search done via a lawyer or legal site can do that (and that costs $$$, the cheapest I saw was $199), but it does look ok as long as your game isn't similar to the others.
    Aug 12, 2019
    Ragpuppy87 likes this.
  11. Ragpuppy87
    Ragpuppy87
    @bgillisp Thanks for going out of your way to do that!
    But the game I discovered was made in 2017...

"©2017 The Gentlebros Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved.
    Cat Quest and The Gentlebros are trademarks or registered trademarks
    of The Gentlebros Pte. Ltd. in Singapore and/or other countries."
    -From the official site...
    Aug 12, 2019
  12. Ragpuppy87
    Ragpuppy87
    I added a subtitle to differentiate mine. But they are both dungeon crawler RPGs... Mine is turn based however and the other is action... Very different stories as well.
    I hope that's enough...
    Aug 12, 2019
  13. Ragpuppy87
    Ragpuppy87
    "in Singapore and/or other countries"
    If it didn't show up in the search link you provided which covers United States trademarks, maybe it means that the U.S isn't part of those "other countries?"
    I know nothing about trademark laws...
    Aug 12, 2019
  14. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I know little either, but what I saw is a trademark is mainly valid in the country and some that have an agreement with them. There is a separate filing for an international trademark, and anyone with an agreement with the US is supposed to show up in that list too.

The FAQ in that site has more, but to be safe you might just want to change the name as lawyers get expensive.
    Aug 12, 2019
    Ragpuppy87 likes this.