Comments on Profile Post by The Stranger

1. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    Sure does. Next thing you know, you're editing all your sprites to make cool faces and behaviours!
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  2. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    That's exactly what I'm doing! xD Well, I'm creating templates to use in the extended generator. All started because I wanted my protagonist's sprite to have a more serious look.
    Aug 24, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  3. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    Cool, I know how great it looks and how addictive that can be. In fact, I feel like I'm barely working on the game, just doing the art/edits. :D
    How many and what kinds of templates do you have so far?
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  4. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Two additional base templates for men, and one for women. All can be used in the generator easily enough. One has a serious\frowny look, and the other has a serious look and one eye closed. The woman's template has slightyl different shaped eyes and eyebrows so as to create a more serious look. Oh, and I've even tried giving them slightly different shaped noses, rather than them all just having a dot.
    Aug 24, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  5. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    Nice. They're all going to look really serious. Do you edit the battlers to match as well?
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  6. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I do! No more worried look for the default idle animation. xD Oh, and I've also swapped out the weird smiling expressions on some of the animations.
    Aug 24, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  7. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    I applaud your patience. Editing the battlers seems intimidating, way too many frames, haha.
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  8. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    It's easier when you're just swapping heads or eyes. xD Oh, I also found some alt battler templates here: https://comshou.wixsite.com/com-sho that are really nice and pretty cute.
    Aug 24, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  9. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    I know these. They make the characters look even more like babies though. :D
    (I wanted to make tall battlers once and after doing the idle animation I found out it's a bad idea, haha.)
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  10. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    You could probably stretch the battlers vertically by 2 or 3 pixels. This also works for sprites. I wanted slightly taller sprites in my game, but not so tall they look weird next to the chibi sized tiles, so I stretched them by 2 or 3 pixels. It's much faster than chopping a sprite up and recreating it to make it taller, but a bit less clean; you sometimes get a few stray pixels here and there.
    Aug 24, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  11. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Oh! I also made their heads slightly narrower. I think they look pretty good.
    Aug 24, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  12. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    Yeah, I get what you mean. I'm not personally a fan of the MV sprites (XP's are the best). Even making them taller a bit is not tall enough for me. I did try it, slicing the sprites and editing it but they're still too small.
    Attempted to make my own sprites, but since I'm not a great artist (and pixel art is kind of harder than normal styles.) it looked a bit weird.
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  13. mishakoc
    mishakoc

This is what it looks like when you don't understand pixel shading or color theory at all, lol.
    Aug 24, 2019
    Kristina and The Stranger like this.
  14. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    Did the black transparent color catch some stray pixels I couldn't see? xD
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  15. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I think that looks fantastic! Sure, the colours look a bit flat, but the sprite itself is by no means bad. I'm no artist, though. Don't know the first thing about shading, pixel art, etc. It looks like there's a single brown pixel right below the hand of the middle sprite, but it's not there when I view the image on Imgur. Weird.
    Aug 24, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  16. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Oh, same thing with a purple pixle on the right-hand sprite. On here, I can see a purple pixel jutting out from her hand, but it's gone on Imgur.
    Aug 24, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  17. Kristina
    Kristina
    It really does. I have done the same a couple times now.
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  18. Kristina
    Kristina
    Oh, @mishakoc you're amazing at making sprites!
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  19. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    @The Stranger I looked at it in Krita and it seems there were some almost transparent pixels that can't be seen in the editor but the black color shows them well.
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  20. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    And no, I can't sprite at all. I guess the general shape is not so bad but since I don't understand pixel art at all, the coloring and shading are just so awkward, haha.
    I'd practice but it takes a long time to make something a bit decent. So I just gave up and used some genuine pixel artist's style for my game instead. :D
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger and Kristina like this.
  21. Kristina
    Kristina
    I can't sprite at all either and yet, you're 100% better than me :D I think you made the shape of the woman really well. Yeah maybe the coloring and shading could be better, but honestly...I think you did it really well :)
    I have given up. Either I will use the basic sprites or I will find someone to make them for me :D
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger and mishakoc like this.
  22. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    Yeah, I agree with you on giving up at certain things. While it's great to try to do things by yourself, you just can't learn everything - sometimes you just need to find somebody who does it better than you so you can focus on who you can do.
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  23. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    I'm certainly not going to learn how to compose music for example, because that would be hopeless. xD
    Sticking to only doing character faces/busts and simple edits, because that's what I'm alright at.
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  24. Kristina
    Kristina
    Exactly and it's fine to find someone who is really good at it to make it for you. I won't make music either, no way :D I can't sprite.
    I can make simple edits as well, so I will stick with that. Not sure about character faces, I can't make busts that's for sure but I'm kinda okay with faces :)
    Aug 24, 2019
    The Stranger and mishakoc like this.