Comments on Profile Post by Romanticist

1. Romanticist
    Romanticist
    Honestly, I wish RPG Maker had an option to toggle eventing mode from clicking to typing. I'd be fine with typing out events; it's not the clicking that makes RPG Maker easier for me (it's actually tedious). It's the event commands that are so intuitive.
    Aug 25, 2019
  2. Romanticist
    Romanticist
    Imagine if you could start typing "con" and then a popup window with "conditional branch" would show. Then inside the branch, you type "var" and boom, variable. And then you do ">" and you can select from either "greater than" or "greater than or equal to", etc. It would be a lot more like coding but still easier, because as I said, the event commands as a whole are a lot simpler than even something like Python.
    Aug 25, 2019
  3. Romanticist
    Romanticist
    Also the mapping system and database are SO much more convenient in RPG Maker than any other engine. I'm just tired of clicking through menus to find event commands :p
    And of course, back to my original topic: I'm so tired of having to write tiny snippets of dialogue in small text boxes. I have a story heavy game and it's just so inconvenient. I wish it was as convenient as Renpy.
    Aug 25, 2019
  4. cabfe
    cabfe
    You can use an external text script. I know there's at least 1 for Ace. You can then type your dialogue in Notepad and use the .txt file in Ace. Much more convenient.
    Aug 25, 2019
  5. Heirukichi
    Heirukichi
    You can also use script calls to type everything without using event commands. Just imagine how wonderful it is to type "if" instead of "conditional branch", it is even shorter, isn't it?
    Aug 25, 2019
  6. Romanticist
    Romanticist
    @cabfe I'll definitely have to check that out. I was looking for something like that a while ago but couldn't find anything.
    Aug 25, 2019
  7. Romanticist
    Romanticist
    @Heirukichi It's not much more convenient because you're still limited to constrained text boxes and it doesn't solve the original issue of more convenient dialogue, either. Look at this mess: $game_message.add("Hello")
    While in something like Renpy you can just type:
    "Hello"
    But maybe that's not fair, because afaik in most game engines the dialogue scripting is a mess.
    Aug 25, 2019
  8. Romanticist
    Romanticist
    Well I just had to vent lol, I know complaining won't get anything done. I still think a "Find and Replace" feature would be amazing though haha
    Aug 25, 2019
  9. Heirukichi
    Heirukichi
    You can bind multiple script boxes together using proper ruby knowledge and, on top of it, you can use a single string for multiple dialogues (not many are aware of it though). Even so, it is still better to press a button every 26 lines rather than pressing multiple buttons every time.
    Aug 26, 2019