Comments on Profile Post by The Stranger

1. Lemonrice
    Lemonrice
    you mean instead of using plugins?
    Aug 25, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  2. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yeah. I only really go for plug-ins if I have no choice. Both my main and in-game menus are completely evented. It was probably made easier by the fact that I only have a single playable character to create menus for.
    Aug 25, 2019
  3. Lemonrice
    Lemonrice
    I see, yes I think this is a good approach. I'm also trying to do that but somehow I always feel like I'm horribly abusing the systems for stuff they are not supposed to do... and then I'm afraid it's too fragile.
    Aug 25, 2019
    The Stranger and mishakoc like this.
  4. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    As long as I'm capable to do it, I'll try to event things instead of relying on plugins as well. Sometimes though it's more convenient to use plugins for certain things (or I'm just lazy).
    Aug 25, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  5. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    But I'd like to learn how to even in-game menus. That sounds incredibly cool.
    Aug 25, 2019
    Lemonrice and The Stranger like this.
  6. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yeah, I had no choice but to use plug-ins for certain things, such as the notepad system that lets players jot down things in-game and save them. Then there's plug-ins for things such as: skipping the default title screen (so my evented one works), pseudo-pixel movement, ones for parallax mapping, and other utility based plug-ins.
    Aug 25, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  7. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    It's a bit time consuming to pull off, but you can create some really pretty menus using this method. It's really little more than pictures and variables.
    Aug 25, 2019
  8. Lemonrice
    Lemonrice
    I already know, that I'll need to use a time based battle system... but that is okay, just a bit of work to find out which to use. Do you know a good tutorial for eventing menus that you thought was helpful? Or did you just trial and error?
    Aug 25, 2019
    mishakoc and The Stranger like this.
  9. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I did have some old Ace tutorials bookmarked from way back when. Can't seem to find them now, though. lol. Typical. Most people try to create picture menus on the map the player is on, but I telport the player to a blank map instead.
    Aug 25, 2019
    mishakoc and Lemonrice like this.
  10. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    The idea is the same (Ace, MV, it doesn't really matter), only the scripting language changes; for if you need to call other scenes, such as inventory, exiting the game, etc. Learning what these code snippets were was a bit of a hassle.
    Aug 25, 2019
  11. Lemonrice
    Lemonrice
    Ah, yeah teleporting to a blank map would have been my guess... It feels a bit more tidy than having to create the menues on every map.
    Aug 25, 2019
    mishakoc and The Stranger like this.
  12. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yeah, and I don't have to deal with other events on other maps. Oh, I can also give the player some unique in-menu music to listen to if I want. xD
    Aug 25, 2019
  13. Lemonrice
    Lemonrice
    Oh that is nice! I like that a lot.
    Aug 25, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.