Comments on Profile Post by mishakoc

1. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    Oh, and writing comments.

Something I should have known before, considering I studied programming a school for 6 years. But I guess our projects weren't so big and messy.
    Aug 25, 2019
    RouletteBunnie and The Stranger like this.
  2. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I forget about comments, but I do name all of my variables and switches properly. I even have a naming system for my maps; such as if a copy of a map is used only for cutscenes, and other things like that.
    Aug 25, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  3. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    I need to use comment or I just forget what certain conditional branches mean. That way I don' have to always check the documentation or don't have to guess what I meant by IF Q_bearRun == 15.
    Aug 25, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  4. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    I heard people use maps that are only for cutscenes, isn't it confusing though?
    Aug 25, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  5. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I find it easier to manage. Sometimes, a map ends up cluttered with so many events that it becomes a pain to work with; this often happens when you have a few different cutscene events, plus the standard map events, on one map. I don't do it for every map, just for certain ones.
    Aug 25, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  6. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    I usually have a lot of events on a single map, so I use picture labels to know immediately which are cutscenes, mini cutscenes, initialization, teleports, etc. So I don't have any blank events.

I thought about using copies of maps for cutscenes but I feel it would make me more confused than it would be helpful to me. But I understand it might be helpful to other people.
    Aug 25, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  7. mylafter
    mylafter
    Comments are really useful if you go on a break and come back to your project confused. It's good to help get back on your feet. But there are times where I would read a comment and still get confused as to what I was doing.
    Aug 26, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.