RPG Maker Forums

The Stranger
The Stranger
So, it all comes down to what the individual values. A parent who has lost his child might believe they have nothing left to lose, and they'd be correct. They'd be just as correct in that belief as the person who thinks they've lost everything after losing their job, home, family, and way of life.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
There is no functional difference between suggesting ways in which one could have a worse life and giving possible ways a life could be worse off. They are, quite literally, the exact same thing.

Unless, of course, you're asking I simply go out of my way in real life to actually make your life worse instead of providing hypotheticals.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Except, of course, that they only view those things as "nothing left to lose", because they cannot imagine a life that is worse. They have not experienced a life that is worse. You are simply only locked into your own personal experiences and are using them as an "absolute" framework.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
There is always more to lose. Worse situations to be in. Situations in which even hope and optimism are eroded and destroyed. Situations that would deprive an individual of even setting goals to give them a reason to wake up.
Kes
Kes
@Tai_MT You said: "What's the worst thing you can think of that could happen in your life? I'd wager I can make it worse. That is... if you'd like to play." Frankly, I find that sort of attitude, that proposal of a 'game' to 'play' utterly disgusting. ...cont'd as too long for one comment.
Kes
Kes
cont'd... I have no interest in playing misery poker, no desire to spiral off into devising more and more ways of inflicting pain on another, no intention of playing a rather sick 'game'. Enjoy yourself without me.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I asked in what ways, realistically, would the homeless situation have been made worse? Unless I had suddenly been stricken down with paralysis out of the blue, then that, along with the ruined reputation, are not all that realistic. I mean, I also wasn't eaten alive, raped, or anything like that either.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I don't think it's the lack of imagination that stops people from seeing a worse fate for themselves, it's that such things simply don't matter.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
The fact of the matter is, people who cannot imagine their own life to be worse will never know a worse life until they are living it. Experiencing it. It isn't about comparing one's life to someone else's. It is about not getting caught up in the idea that "there's nothing left to lose" and being reckless and stupid as a result.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
@The Stranger realistically, you could've been stabbed in the spine and suffered paralysis as a result of your assaults. Paralysis from the waist down. Realistically, someone could've accused you of rape (true or not does not matter) and utterly destroyed even sympathy for your current situation (it is sad what happened to you. But, if you are evil enough to rape, then you deserved it. See the distinction?).
The Stranger
The Stranger
The person who murders their whole family, before killing themselves, because their mind snapped due to the burden of debt isn't comforted by the fact they still have working legs. They aren't being unimaginative because they can't imagine something worse than crippling debt. I don't like comparing my suffering with that of tohers, it's a pointless game.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I am not comparing suffering. You are. Someone who you view as suffering worse than you, may actually think that your suffering is worse than their lives. Thus, there's no point. I'm talking about suffering on a personal level. One which invites no comparison to others.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
A person murders their family and then kills themselves out of delusion or fear of punishment. What if they had been caught before they could've killed themselves? Would they view that as a worse life or not? Wanting to escape and yet being completely unable to?
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Such a person already knows their life can be worse. They are taking actions to avoid that worse life that they imagine.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
My point about "your life can always be worse" is that thinking you have "nothing left to lose" is often short-sighted and selfish. It lacks the imagination to consider how things could be worse than they currently are. A person with "nothing left to lose" is, more often than not, extremely reckless and unthinking/uncaring.
The Stranger
The Stranger
If we're to ignore the more positive ways in which these words are often spoken, then it's often caused by reaching a breaking point of some kind. It's also how the mind views things when it's in a state of depression.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I think it's rather silly, and even cruel, to describe someone in such a dark place as being unimaginative. They aren't concerned with what else could go wrong, the worst, for them, has likely already happened. How would contemplation of greater suffering be of any use to them? What would it achieve? Would they even consider such things as being worse?
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I've never seen these words spoken in a positive way. They are almost always spoken of as a means to invoke desperation. Even by heroes in movies, books, games, etcetera. Such statements simply exist to ignore that evil is boundless and infinite.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
By the Way, you just made my point for me. They perceive what they are experiencing as "the worst thing possible" and cannot and will not know of anything worse until it walks up and slaps them in the face and they have to live a new reality of a new worse life. Lack of imagination that things can be worse.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Because it s the worst thing possible for them. Whatever has happened to them is the worst that could happen to them as individuals.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Testing out applying a stroke effect to things at player level to increase visibility. Thoughts?

I wonder what cat meat tastes like.
Some call him... the wacky one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrPhantom