RPG Maker Forums

The Stranger
The Stranger
The ultimate mapping challenge - avoiding blockiness while using blocky tiles. I love mapping, but really hate how things such as autotiles look by default. Try to hide a lot of the blockiness using various methods.
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
I actually hate mapping. No matter how cute a room I'm making lel. Most of the time I end up looking at floor plans from the internet for ideas. And this is also why I haven't made a traditional rpg. Forests, desserts... I can't map something I haven't seen irl XD
mishakoc
mishakoc
I used to dislike using the autotiles too when using the more detailed graphics - the path, water, cliffs, and house walls/roofs just look way off.
(I had no idea how to hide it in the editor properly though so I used to parallax it instead - making the bank of the river manually is such a pain so no more.)
mishakoc
mishakoc
But making complex cliff structures is a lot of fun. The more varied, the better, but the whole map usually stops making any sense the longer I work on it, haha.
And it makes it sometimes unusable in the game :(.
mishakoc
mishakoc
@Hyouryuu-Na Oh, I can spend days just making random maps that I won't even use because it's so much fun. I don't think you need to see it to map it.
But I get that different people feel differently about things. I wouldn't be able to write a novel as you do. I'd want to but my mind refuses to concentrate. xD
mishakoc
mishakoc
@Hyouryuu-Na But now that I'm trying to map this huge cliff with a castle on top of it, I kind of get what you mean by " I can't map something I haven't seen irl", I feel like I have no idea how the castle layout is supposed to be like. The idea is way too vague and even looking at google images doesn't help much.
mishakoc
mishakoc
@Hyouryuu-Na Don't you prefer horror to classical RPG anyway, (I think)? Gotta play on your strengths!
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Hyouryuu-Na I'm the same. I need to have seen something in reality in order to have a rough idea of how to map it out in a game. I guess it's really just common sense, though; can't make something if you have no idea what you're making. So thankful for all of the floorplans and what not available online.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@mishakoc I got around it by creating non-blocky floor decals in GIMP. Don't use the autotiles for things such as dirt paths, or natural floors in general. Instead, I use circular tiles with faded edges. They blend well together, and they allow you to create really nice looking areas with relative ease.
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
@mishakoc Yes I certainly love horror/surreal/psychological/plain weird(Junji itou style *0*) stuff But I also love rpg. I was pretty interested in Nier:Automata and the Final fantasy series. I also tried making a few small projects but with me being a perfectionist -_- the tiny chibi rtp wasn't helping my dying enthusiasm. But after 2 years I have my own sprite base so I might make one next year.
mishakoc
mishakoc
@The Stranger That sounds like a good alternative! If I ever got back into using more painterly tilesets, I'd probably try that too.
BTW, do you have any tips on making varied shapes of houses (exterior, I mean)? That's something I always had a problem with. No matter if using autotiles or not.
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
A mansion on top of a cliff? The first image that popped into my head when I read that is a big dark purplish Victorian mansion that likely belongs to a vampire lol. Pretty hard to portray that in a game.
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
If you want to make exterior houses... you can search the internet for some free 3d models. Then you can either render them and draw over them or you can simply look at them from different angles for reference. I think I've seen some nice parallax houses before. But I think they were for ace. If you get some like them you can just zoom them up I guess.
mishakoc
mishakoc
@Hyouryuu-Na The chibi characters are certainly not everyone's cup of tea. Making all characters on your own sounds like a lot of work - are you experienced in pixel art on top of digital art as well?
(I don't get it at all. I was somehow able to make a sprite base to use, but I don't understand pixel shading at all so I just shaded it as I'df normally would. I looks... interesting, lol.)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today *Fix the game UI
RMMZ maxRows make me tired.
The game supports real-time language switching (really interesting).
8laFKAa.png

jBYDFzZ.png

lYbvPth.png

mY99lgU.png

Swag collecting in the new randomly generated area. Now the mini map also shows the randomly generated features... And even illustrates the whole "bubble" system" that I made to manage memory... Though that part's inadvertent. We'll just call that "the fog of war"... Yes, that's what we'll do. Nobody will be the wiser! :kaopride:
not me being not lazy for 5 seconds and drawing another char portrait (her name is hazel)
its_hazel.png
Been a while since the last time I made a song remix. Had a blast making this
One thing those jp developer still get wrong about boob physic is that... men's muscly hard pecs can jiggle too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gabrielmax80