RPG Maker Forums

mishakoc
mishakoc
@Hyouryuu-Na I think maybe keeping a folder with plenty of photos from all over the world and watching various nature and cultural documentaries helps a ton with getting inspiration on places, mapping as such.

(lol, I take way too long to type the comment you wrote another couple)
The Stranger
The Stranger
I just look at images of buildings I like the look of, as well as floorplans. I never create those stupid tiny houses commonly found in older JRPGs. Every building will be as large as it needs to be so as to replicate, though not always with 100% accuracy, the internal space.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I've also found myself walking by buildings in real life, and thinking about how many tiles I'd need in RPG maker in order to replicate it. I usually go for two tiles representing the height of an average room, if you're using chibis or slightly taller sprites, and work from there.
mishakoc
mishakoc
@Hyouryuu-Na Not exactly a vampire, but some sort of dark evil person who lives in the middle of the sea on a huge steep cliff in a dark castle. But now I don't understand why I chose such a nonsensical place. How he gets food and freshwater and such, that's a question.

I'm horrible at drawing houses or tilesets. But looking for reference sounds like a good idea.
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
@mishakoc Nooo^^;I'm definitely not experienced in either of them. I'm more experienced in traditional art but drawing everything in paper seems like a hassle so I stick to digital art. I also don't understand shading in pixel art. I just shaded as I normally would. But even as it is, I like it waaay better than those chibis.My game is set in a school. So one body is enough for everyone.I just have to draw the heads.
The Stranger
The Stranger
The Stranger
The Stranger
Not every area or 'dungeon' needs to be super big. You can have just as much fun, if not more, creating smaller, more detailed areas. In my opinion, an area\map needs to be as big as it needs to be. An industrial park or warehouse will naturall be much bigger than a single flat, but size isn't everything. It's all about making these areas work for you.
mishakoc
mishakoc
@The Stranger Keeping photos of interesting houses is something I should've thought of, since I do it for nature already. Making the outer house correspond with the inside is not such a problem, because I tend to make the insides as small as possible too.
mishakoc
mishakoc
@The Stranger Oh, I meant more exteriors of the houses than the interior. Interiors are not such a problem (even if I tend to make weird shaped houses so as not to make them rectangular). Trying to squeeze everything important to a tiny place is fun.
But the outside is more problematic because all the houses just look the same.
mishakoc
mishakoc
But yeah, you're right, small and more detailed is a way to go for interiors, I think. Trying to make a big interior work would be more problematic.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Usually, the internal space will give you a good idea of how the exterior will look, too. The rest is just down to roof shape, masonry\bricks used, and wall decorations. I find looking at a mix of these floorplans, and images of the style of building I like, to lead to the most desirable outcome.
mishakoc
mishakoc
@Hyouryuu-Na Digital art is more convenient, that's right. Especially since you can use layers, change sizes, rotate etc. Sketching is easier and quicker on paper though.

I'm sure your characters look better than chibis, even if pixel shading is mysterious. Did you make them taller as well? Or just a smaller head?
If you make everyone use uniforms, that will indeed make it easier, haha. Drawing clothes is the worst.
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
They're 30x98 (Each frame). Even drawing two uniforms (for male and female) killed me. Imagine unique clothes for everyone... *shudders*
mishakoc
mishakoc
Ouch, I can imagine. Do you have a screenshot?

I had this stupid idea of making a character generator last year. Looking at the file, my head aches trying to understand the layers, I don't know what I was thinking.
For whatever reason, I got into it way too much and have 33 female hairstyles and some attempts at clothes, lol. Only the front direction, of course.
mishakoc
mishakoc
If you want unique sprites for all characters, I wonder when will you have the time to actually make the game itself, anyway?
Are you planning to make your own battlers as well? Now THAT sounds like a true nightmare.
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
I do have screenshots but I can't show since I don't have any accounts in image hosting sites o_o;I only rely on the upload image function here. Basically I just took a pixel doll base, fixed it(cos you can never find doll bases that aren't posed. Making them look like the walk animation will require you to draw. The doll base is just for reference)and put the MV head on it. Next up- draw the clothes,hair,shoes...
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
I don't need battlers. And this is why I couldn't participate on the original character event TT They said you need battlers...
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
mishakoc
mishakoc
It's too bad they want only MV sprites with battlers for the contest. Not everyone uses the third person battle or battles at all.
Your sprite looks really pretty, you did a good job!
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
Thanks ^^Did you ever think of finishing your character generator? People in the forums really want some tall characters.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I based this on the armor of Actor 1_7 of the RTP. Hair is from Derex and Sythian Bard.
Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowExxhy