Comments on Profile Post by mishakoc

1. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    They're really useful. I like using behindthename.com for first names; it also has a dedicated surname site.
    Sep 23, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  2. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    Had a good laugh seeing such typical Slavic names such as Strom(=tree), Zyphire or Vartoughi. lol
    Sep 23, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  3. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    I'm sure they are useful, I'll just be very careful in the future and check if they even belong to the selected language at all. xD You really can't trust anything on the internet.
    Sep 23, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  4. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I like the look of 'Vartoughi'. There's a few Slavic words I really like: vozhd, vukodlak, koldun, krsnik, and a whole host of other random words. lol.
    Sep 23, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  5. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    I have no idea what most of them mean, (not sure how one would pronounce Varthoughi either) but vukodlak sounds like how a baby would pronounce werewolf.
    Sep 23, 2019
    Traveling Bard and The Stranger like this.
  6. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I'm pretty sure that's what it's used for. xD Think it means something like 'wolf's hair'. Has a whole bunch of different spellings depending on the language.
    Sep 23, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  7. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    Yeah, I was pretty sure it meant werewolf somewhere, it just came to my mind as a baby pronunciation because of the video you posted. xD
    Sep 23, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  8. xoferew
    xoferew
    Ooh, those are cool names. I remember as a kid seeing "Tarragon" in my mom's spice rack and thinking it was the best ever name for a male hero. ^_^
    Sep 23, 2019
    The Stranger and mishakoc like this.
  9. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    It actually sounds pretty cool in English (at least because I had no idea what it was). In my language, it would sound so lame.
    Using random printed words around the house is actually how I named most of my characters in games, lol. Like seeing the brand of the yogurt or such.
    Sep 23, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  10. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Personally I prefer to use the sites. I'd have a hard time explaining to my friends why I have a baby name book if I went that route. And can you imagine someone who is in a relationship and the significant other finds it?
    Sep 23, 2019
    The Stranger and mishakoc like this.
  11. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    That might end up quite awkward! But seeing how unreliable the sites can be, I wonder if a name book would at least be proofread and edited by someone who knows what they're talking about.
    Sep 23, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  12. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    I like to lookup an irl name or even words the mash things up even it sounds funny, like Terra Erde (Earth 2x) or Selene Luna (Moon 2x) :p
    Sep 23, 2019
    mishakoc and The Stranger like this.
  13. TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    *then mash things up even if it sounds funny
    Sep 23, 2019
  14. Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    I rely pretty heavily on baby name meaning sites and fantasy name generator sites since I'm horrible at coming up with names.
    Sep 24, 2019
  15. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    @TheoAllen Naming worlds Terragaia or similarly actually sounds cool, unless you know what it means. Taking random words from languages I don't understand is the way to go, but not all languages are good for this. (Spanish or Latin are great, German, not so much)
    Sep 25, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  16. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    @Traveling Bard Yeah, I can feel you, fantasynamegenerators com is often my saviour.
    (What's worse for me than the names of people are names of places. Now that's impossible.)
    Do you name people based on the meaning of the name though? As some kind of symbolism?
    Sep 25, 2019
    The Stranger and Traveling Bard like this.
  17. Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    @mishakoc just remember that the great linguist & author J.R.R. Tolkien, who created his own language for the elves in his story, named the great volcano that the rings of power were forged...Mt. Doom :)
    Sep 26, 2019
  18. Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    @mishakoc sometimes I'll name a character off of a name meaning or common names in a certain country that I'm trying to "paint" the area in my story like. Or I'll just think of a name & use it as a placeholder for so long that it just becomes their name permanently lol That's my usual method :) you?
    Sep 26, 2019
  19. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I think the only names you might want to avoid using in a fantasy setting are those with meanings linked directly to a real place, such as Sebastian. I can personally overlook the fact that a fantasy setting uses English names and a Latin alphabet, but I have my immersion ruined by names that mean 'from *insert real town here*' and your setting doesn't have a place with that name. I guess that's just me though.
    Sep 26, 2019
    Traveling Bard likes this.
  20. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    @Traveling Bard If he was the first to do that, it was an original name.
    I like to name certain groups of people using certain languages too. Makes it more compact somehow. Also, have some people whose name doesn't fit at all but since they had the name for X years already, it became their identity and I just can't change it anymore.
    Sep 26, 2019
  21. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    (so they are a lot of characters with random Japanese names for no apparent reason, lol)
    Sometimes they are just called Tatranka or something.
    Sep 26, 2019
  22. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    @The Stranger (fun word fact: the pronunciation of doom means house in Czech, see what kind of conditions we live here? lol)
    Characters having an English name is fine, probably because it's not my native language, but no way I'd read fantasy with Czech names, that would be so cringy. Don't know why. I feel like I couldn't take it seriously.
    Sep 26, 2019
    The Stranger and Traveling Bard like this.
  23. Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    @mishakoc you could always go the Dragonball method and name everyone after vegetables :D Did you notice in Earthbound that the towns are named after one, two, three, etc? I love that name characters after candy, that's so much better than my placeholders of Jim and Harry lol
    Sep 26, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  24. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    I can't probably tell what the name of towns originally meant so I wouldn't even notice. But of course you, such a ethymology wizard, would. :p
    Sep 26, 2019
  25. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    *etymology, see, can't even spell the word properly
    Sep 26, 2019
  26. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    @Traveling Bard Vegetables, huh? And the big bad is going to be a chef who just murders and devours everyone. Maybe I could do that using spices, most of their names sound quite foreign to me. I already established the main hero is going to be called Pelyněk, because xoferew thinks it sounds cool.
    Sep 26, 2019
  27. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    @Traveling Bard I haven't yet gotten too far into Earthbound yet, unfortunately. I had to start playing it again twice because I was using the dayum phone wrong. When the dad tells you if you want to continue or end, I thought he meant the phone conversation, not the game, so I always pressed end and the game kind of froze (because they were expecting me to just end the game). You can see what a pro gamer I am, lol.
    Sep 26, 2019
  28. Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    There is actually a mechanic in the game that keeps track about how long you've been playing, so when you save with your dad he'll start saying something like "I know you want to save the world, son, but even heroes need rest. Maybe you should take a break." and since phone emulators are like save states, it'll think you are on one massive run of the game so he'll probably say that the whole time lol
    Sep 26, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  29. Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    There are many little details like that in the game that I don't want to spoil for you. Also, I love the main hero's name. So it's wormwood? Is that used as a spice? I thought it was only used in making strong alcohol lol
    Sep 26, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  30. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    See, naming him Wormwood or Tarragon sounds cool (like a dragon). But Pelyněk, on the other hand, is so lame.
    I only knew it was a plant, but wikipedia says it is used as a spice and in medicine.
    Sep 26, 2019
  31. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    And thanks for not spoiling anything, I tend to read spoilery stuff and then am mad at myself because sometimes it ruins the whole story.
    Like when I read way too many seasons sooner who is Red John in The Mentalist.
    Sep 26, 2019
  32. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    @Traveling Bard A little off-topic, but speaking of Earthbound's geographical names reminded me of a favourite song of mine xD
    Sep 26, 2019
  33. Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    @mishakoc I LOVE the mentalist...'s first three seasons. After Patrick Jane got off for murder in the beginning of the fourth season I think I stopped watching. Great show though! One of the psychics in that game I told you about is modeled after him a bit :) though he's one of the bad guy psychics.
    Sep 27, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  34. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    I love criminal shows where they use unconventional methods to investigate. It's fine when it's by using their dream-vision and ghosts but the sniffing one is too outrageous even for me, lol.
    Sep 27, 2019
  35. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    But they needed some deus ex machina for getting him out of trouble with the murder. It was great even after that, started going a bit downhill when the Red John business was done with.
    Sep 27, 2019
  36. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    It was a bit strange to me that I managed to guess who Red John is correctly, because he was acting creepy and nobody acknowledged it. I think that was the first and only time I managed to guess who the murderer was.
    Not gonna say who it is though, :p
    Sep 27, 2019
  37. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    What's the "psychicks"' special ability? Being a smooth talker?
    Sep 27, 2019
  38. Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    @mishakoc Just watched the Jan Egeland video. I love the guy dancing ballerina in the background xD "Nice Legs." LOL! There is a youtube comment that pretty much somes up how I feel: "I have no idea who this man is but after listening to this I trust him with my life." Thanks for the recommendation :D
    Sep 27, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  39. Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    Have you seen Castle with Nathan Fillion, an author & a cop catch bad guys? Or White Collar, where the FBI use a white collar criminal to catch bad guys? I'm a fan of criminal shows too :) Leverage & Blacklist are pretty great too.
    Sep 27, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  40. Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    I had this idea that he'd be something like the purple man from Jessica Jones but the ability is a psychic one instead of a mutant power. Basically overcoming a person's mind and telling them what to do by speaking. I had an interest game idea where it would be probability & you would gamble power to increase your chance at overwhelming them.
    Sep 27, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  41. Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    Having him in the group would be dangerous because he could take over some of the weaker minded psychics behind the scenes which could have some interesting effects in the game's progression ;)
    Sep 27, 2019
    mishakoc likes this.
  42. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    Glad you liked the video. Ylvis do a lot of parodies of music genres and it's usually so stupid but entertaining.
    I haven't seen Castle yet, or the others you mentioned. But Castle is watched by a lot of people in this household so I am going to watch it sooner or later anyway. My favourite detective show is probably Medium for whatever reason. Need to watch that one again.
    Sep 27, 2019
  43. mishakoc
    mishakoc
    Having a mind-controlling person on the team who could control the other ones... he could quickly become a villain himself. Seems like he has his own agenda so yeah, that's pretty dangerous. Especially because the weak ones are quite important.
    It's going to be interesting.
    Sep 27, 2019