RPG Maker Forums

standardplayer
standardplayer
@The Stranger I remember all of that lol, Myspace is the only social media I ever had, once FB came out I was like....I don't want to keep doing this. I do miss being unreachable, but not as much as I miss novelty VHS rewinder decks.
The Stranger
The Stranger
LOL! Do you remember those tapes you used to clean your VHS player with? I also remember having a few of my tapes chewed up by the player. Ah, those were the days. I love how quickly tech has improved, and wouldn't really want to go back to a time without it, but there are a few things from the past, my past, I do miss.
standardplayer
standardplayer
I remember the Tape Head cleaning VHS tapes, I remember a similar thing with cassette decks, too. I do feel nostalgic thinking about waiting by the radio for the chance to record a song I wanted, and praying the announcer didn't ruin the end of the track
The Stranger
The Stranger
All that just to get a poor quality version of a song or TV show. Recording movies or shows required careful timing if you didn't also want to record adverts. lol. The first Walkman I ever owned was given to me by my dad and didn't even have a rewind button; you had to play the cassette through, then flip it over to hear the other side. xD
standardplayer
standardplayer
Oh I miss Walkmans. I got my first for like my 7th or 8th birthday, with the GhostBuster's Soundtrack (no idea why) and the Eagles Greatest Hits. I wore that Eagle's tape out lol. I remember it came with the saddest headphones ever. I literally an uncovered metal band with the worst ear pads ever
standardplayer
standardplayer
*It was literally an uncovered metal band
The Stranger
The Stranger
OMG! My Walkman came with a pair of garbage, and really uncomfortable, headphones too. They were those old fahsioned over the ear things. Sound quality was pretty bad too. Bringing back memories of listening to Ice Ice Baby, and a bunch of other largely forgotten songs. xD
standardplayer
standardplayer
Also I can't believe that, about your walkman only playing forward! That gives you like, less control than playing a record!
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah, it was really weird. Had to listen one side of the cassette, then had to flip it over and play the other side before you could listen to the previous side again. I was glad when portable CD music players came out. I started burning my own music CDs at that point. lol.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Most of those CD players broke really easily too. I remember having to apply pressure to the top of them else they wouldn't play properly, they'd just keep skipping or wouldn't play at all. Maybe it's because I only ever owned cheap ones.
standardplayer
standardplayer
I remember the first time I'd heard of burning CD's, Phillips had a commercial telling people to 'burn' their own cds. I was genuinely like "....Why would you do that? You'll ruin them!" I couldn't figure out what the commercial was selling, just telling me to burn my CD's lol
standardplayer
standardplayer
Oh you aren't alone lol, I had one CD Player where I'd wrapped a rubber band around the whole player, with an pink rubber eraser over the lid so the rubber band helped keep the pressure >< Whoa....I just remembered Skip-Protection.....
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah, I don't miss CD players and what not. You could only really bring a single CD or tape with you back then, and it was awkward changing CDs in public. I think iPods and other such music devices are probably the best when it comes to protable music.
standardplayer
standardplayer
I never had the cool iPods, I had like, the lamest one with a screen, and the shuffle that had no screen. But yeah, once IPods came out that was it, CDs were old news. Damn now I miss record stores
The Stranger
The Stranger
I'll always prefer physical things over digital, but I do really like being able to purchase a single track on iTunes rather than an entire album. I used to have lots of CDs before I was made homeless, then I just had to abandon them all in London. lol. Never bothered trying to rebuild my collection.
standardplayer
standardplayer
I had a lot of CDs, too, I had one of those big 'books' of CDs, I honestly have no clue what happened. Oh no, made homeless?? I mean I've been there but not for very long
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah, spent a year on the streets. Had to abandon everything I owned because there was no way I could've carried them around while sleeping rough.
bgillisp
bgillisp
@The Stranger : My first tape player also didn't have rewind, as it was way more expensive to get one that had it. I also remember recording TV shows with ads, that's how my father recorded programs for me as a kid. Nothing like watching your Garfield TV show and being reminded of what were the popular ads back then.
samkfj
samkfj
The 90s will officially be 30 years ago very soon.

Y'all some old peeps up in here.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

How can I look up the components for a medieval bomb for my game without the FBI showing up at my door?
I don't think I can handle using the real SNES resolution of 512x448 because resizing absolutely every interface element I had on hand by painstaking trial & error/guess and check (is there any other way?) is KILLING me.
If anyone wants to Program for me give me a DM, ill pay if i have to!
I made a drawing of Moss
RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue: Militibus Elementis Redux starts now! Watch live!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Germelshausen