Comments on Profile Post by CrowStorm

1. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Its not meant to be for detailed discussions. Those should go into the forums.
    Oct 11, 2019
  2. BlueMage
    BlueMage
    Because no one want to read too long status. It's a good limit because it make an user has to think about what he want to talk about and focus on the main point instead of talking about unrelated stuff, it's very unnecessary. What would somebody write in the status assume there wasn't any limit to how much characters you can type into a status? If you need to explain something, or to ask a question, or to promote...
    Oct 11, 2019
  3. BlueMage
    BlueMage
    ...your game, there are specified boards for each of them, instead of talking about that here you can go to that specified boards and create a new thread instead. That also help people who want to locate your thread later, the status post will get pushed down really quick by bunches of new statuses and then wasn't it a waste to have an overlong post that has more than 140 characters to be showed for only few hours?
    Oct 11, 2019
  4. CrowStorm
    CrowStorm
    1) Twitter and many other platforms shows you how many characters you left before you hit "Post Comment". On here, it doesn't. It's guess and check which can be frustrating.
    Oct 11, 2019
  5. CrowStorm
    CrowStorm
    2) It was a rhetorical question guys, but yes, I know. Nothing I share via status/profile post is going to be a detailed discussion or explanation or question or promotion.
    Oct 11, 2019
  6. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Actually, it does show the character count for me when posting a new status. Maybe it's a browser issue?
    Oct 11, 2019
    CrowStorm likes this.
  7. CrowStorm
    CrowStorm
    3) When Twitter upped its character limit from 140 to 280 it was the best/worst thing they ever did. Best because now I could fit my thoughts into tweets. Worst because it meant I actually started using twitter.
    Oct 11, 2019
    Storyteller-Hero likes this.
  8. CrowStorm
    CrowStorm
    4) Basically I wasn't actually asking "why is there a character limit?". I was just musing out loud "I'd prefer it better if the character limit was twice what it is or at least 250 which is a nice round number".
    Oct 11, 2019
  9. CrowStorm
    CrowStorm
    5) The character limit on comments also seems relatively tight. BlueMage you had to fill it twice just to complete your thought.
    Oct 11, 2019
  10. CrowStorm
    CrowStorm
    6) I'll be the first person to tell you I struggle with brevity in general.
    Oct 11, 2019
  11. CrowStorm
    CrowStorm
    bgillisp: huh, that may be it.
    Oct 11, 2019
  12. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    It does depend on how you do it, I just tested. If you post a new one while on your profile, it doesn't show. If you go to Forums -> Update Status it shows it by the post button.
    Oct 11, 2019
  13. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    As for the limit, it's hard set by the software we use. We can't even increase it.
    Oct 11, 2019
  14. mylafter
    mylafter
    Careful, we don't want them to change the limit to '139 characters' now do we?
    Oct 11, 2019
    CrowStorm likes this.
  15. mylafter
    mylafter
    I understand your slight frustration though. It's cheesy to say but sometimes less is more.
    Oct 11, 2019
  16. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    @mylafter : Anger us and we'll change it to 1. Mwahahahahahaha.

In all seriousness we can't do that. And even if we could, what would the posts be? Your favorite letter today?
    Oct 11, 2019
    CrowStorm and mylafter like this.
  17. CrowStorm
  18. standardplayer
    standardplayer
    @BlueMage haha you posted such a long reply it took two very full posts. Contextually speaking, that's hilarious :D
    Oct 11, 2019
    CrowStorm and BlueMage like this.
  19. Zanckst
    Zanckst
    I guess when you just want to blurt out or muse away concisely or casually, you use status. :B
    Oct 11, 2019