Its not meant to be for detailed discussions. Those should go into the forums.
Because no one want to read too long status. It's a good limit because it make an user has to think about what he want to talk about and focus on the main point instead of talking about unrelated stuff, it's very unnecessary. What would somebody write in the status assume there wasn't any limit to how much characters you can type into a status? If you need to explain something, or to ask a question, or to promote...
...your game, there are specified boards for each of them, instead of talking about that here you can go to that specified boards and create a new thread instead. That also help people who want to locate your thread later, the status post will get pushed down really quick by bunches of new statuses and then wasn't it a waste to have an overlong post that has more than 140 characters to be showed for only few hours?
1) Twitter and many other platforms shows you how many characters you left before you hit "Post Comment". On here, it doesn't. It's guess and check which can be frustrating.
2) It was a rhetorical question guys, but yes, I know. Nothing I share via status/profile post is going to be a detailed discussion or explanation or question or promotion.
Actually, it does show the character count for me when posting a new status. Maybe it's a browser issue?
3) When Twitter upped its character limit from 140 to 280 it was the best/worst thing they ever did. Best because now I could fit my thoughts into tweets. Worst because it meant I actually started using twitter.
4) Basically I wasn't actually asking "why is there a character limit?". I was just musing out loud "I'd prefer it better if the character limit was twice what it is or at least 250 which is a nice round number".
5) The character limit on comments also seems relatively tight. BlueMage you had to fill it twice just to complete your thought.
6) I'll be the first person to tell you I struggle with brevity in general.
bgillisp: huh, that may be it.
It does depend on how you do it, I just tested. If you post a new one while on your profile, it doesn't show. If you go to Forums -> Update Status it shows it by the post button.
As for the limit, it's hard set by the software we use. We can't even increase it.
Careful, we don't want them to change the limit to '139 characters' now do we?
I understand your slight frustration though. It's cheesy to say but sometimes less is more.
@mylafter : Anger us and we'll change it to 1. Mwahahahahahaha.
In all seriousness we can't do that. And even if we could, what would the posts be? Your favorite letter today?
@BlueMage haha you posted such a long reply it took two very full posts. Contextually speaking, that's hilarious
I guess when you just want to blurt out or muse away concisely or casually, you use status. :B
Separate names with a comma.