Comments on Profile Post by jkweath

1. Jesse - PVGames
    Jesse - PVGames
    I ran a couple of successful ones for games years ago. But, this was back before video game Kickstarters were really much of a thing, so it was kind of like the wild west of Kickstarters. I really don't think I would go down the Kickstarter route today, though.
    Oct 22, 2019
  2. jkweath
    jkweath
    Any particular reason why not? I know absolutely nothing about Kickstarters or similar services so I'm just looking to learn all I can about them.
    Oct 22, 2019
  3. Jesse - PVGames
    Jesse - PVGames
    For me, it wouldn't be worth it. KS doesn't bring in new people to back projects. It provides a venue for you to appeal to existing fans of your work. If you already have fans, you probably don't really need to do a KS. If you don't have fans, then you can't expect folk to stumble upon your KS and back it. I could easily be wrong about KS these days, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.
    Oct 22, 2019
  4. jkweath
    jkweath
    Ooh, I gotcha. I was under the impression that KS was good for bringing in new fans and old fans alike. If what you're saying is accurate, then I probably wouldn't get much benefit out of it.
    Oct 22, 2019
  5. Jesse - PVGames
    Jesse - PVGames
    If you promote your KS where applicable, you might get some new fans. But KS itself, on its own, won't really do that for you, unless they drastically changed how they do things in the last couple years.
    Oct 22, 2019
  6. Golden Unicorn Gaming
    Golden Unicorn Gaming
    I did 3 years ago and plan on doing it again in the future. I'm kinda iffy on whether the game LOOKS like rpg maker though. If it does, it's gotta have low funding, imo. I'm going full custom with next game so it'll be an experiment for me. I do think it's good exposure.
    Oct 22, 2019
  7. jkweath
    jkweath
    I'd be interested in seeing how that goes. I was curious as to whether or not game kickstarters only brought in previous fans or if the exposure from the kickstarter itself helped bring in new fans, but judging from Jesse's experience it's the former, unless it's different anymore.
    Oct 22, 2019
  8. jkweath
    jkweath
    If I did use kickstarter, it'd probably be to fund artwork illustrations to use in-game and as cover art. I'm fine with the graphics I'm using (the FES set), but having some extra hand-drawn illustrations would do me wonders, if I could afford them.
    Oct 22, 2019
    Golden Unicorn Gaming likes this.
  9. hiddenone
    hiddenone
    @jkweath This would be better as a topic in the Commercial Discussion section instead of a status. You'd get longer answers and more people would see the topic, instead of it disappearing into the status feed.
    Oct 22, 2019
    Golden Unicorn Gaming likes this.