Comments on Profile Post by bgillisp

1. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    May want to screenshot the old terms of use TODAY for proof if you are using them.
    Oct 28, 2019
  2. HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    They never said anything about Ace. Are they still free?
    Oct 28, 2019
  3. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    It's up to them what they do with their work, it belongs to them, after all. Can't say I'm all happy about it though. I can see this having an impact on any new users who join the community.
    Oct 28, 2019
    OnslaughtSupply likes this.
  4. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    @HexMozart88 : I assume so, but I just screenshoted the terms of use today just in case. Also it's in the header of your scripts too, or should be.
    Oct 28, 2019
  5. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    @The Stranger : I hear you there. If I posted what I thought of this I'd have to moderate myself.
    Oct 28, 2019
    OnslaughtSupply and The Stranger like this.
  6. FleshToDust
    FleshToDust
    Welp. Looks like I'm done collecting Yanfly plugins.
    Oct 28, 2019
    Animebryan likes this.
  7. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @bgillisp I can't see this having the effect Yanfly thinks it will. They seem to think it'll encourage people to complete projects, stop others from copying or stealing their work, etc, but it won't. All it will do is create an opportunity for folk to pirate their plug-ins. It's just such a weird decision to make after releasing so many free plug-ins. Oh, suddenly they're no longer free.
    Oct 28, 2019
    Animebryan likes this.
  8. Kyuukon
    Kyuukon
    :/
    Anyone got a link with all Yanfly plugins so I can download them all before the paywall happens?
    Oct 28, 2019
  9. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Oct 28, 2019
  10. Kyuukon
    Kyuukon
    Nevermind. It seems he already removed some of them. Today I lost respect for Yanfly a bit...
    Oct 28, 2019
    Animebryan likes this.
  11. MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    If I screenshot the Terms of Use, I can keep using the plugins, correct? I need to know, since my project completely relies on Yanfly's plugins. Gosh, I wouldn't have used them if I'd knew this was going to happen, but of course this is Yanfly's decision to make and they deserve to make money out of their work. Goodness knows they've worked hard on these plugins.
    Oct 28, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  12. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @MechScapeZH I believe so. A license can't be revoked or altered once given. The new license would only apply to future downloads. That's my very basic understanding of it, anyway.
    Oct 28, 2019
    Animebryan and MechScapeZH like this.
  13. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Oh, and it's already too late to download their plug-ins; all of the links seem to have been removed, or are broken.
    Oct 28, 2019
  14. Elliott404
    Elliott404
    I don't blame them tbh. After all the s**t that happened these past days and months, yea, putting their plugins in the paywalls will put these entitled, and thieves to their places.
    But, I wonder if that will affect the plugins I downloaded before the monetary plan is implemented.
    Oct 28, 2019
  15. MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    @The Stranger Do you know this for sure? I don't mean to distrust you or imply that you don't know what you're talking about, you're a very trusted member of this forum, but... I don't want to get in trouble, right? I don't want to take chances. @bgillisp can you confirm, legally?I thought you might have some idea of what law would correspond to the screenshotting of the terms of use.
    Oct 28, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  16. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @MechScapeZH As I said, that's only my very basic understanding of licensing. Are terms and conditions the same thing as a license? No idea. lol. I know that CC (creative commons) licenses can't be revoked, regardless of whether the artist removes the license from their work or not. But Yanfly's ToS aren't CC, so I'm not 100% sure.
    Oct 28, 2019
    MechScapeZH likes this.
  17. MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    @The Stranger Thank you for the information. I don't see this being any different, but laws are weird sometimes... I'm about to release my commercial game, so that's why I'm kind of jumpy after hearing this. I worked hard, and I think if I remove the plugins the game will really suffer, so... I just want to see some kind of legal page that confirms that I'm all OK with this.
    Oct 28, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  18. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @MechScapeZH I'd think that revoking licenses, so long as you don't breach the agreed upon terms of use, wouldn't be allowed. Would seem to be open to abuse and exploitation if it is allowed. lol.
    Oct 28, 2019
    MechScapeZH likes this.
  19. MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    ...OK. Honestly, I just did a search on this, and I can't really understand legal language (believe me, I tried, lol). I'll trust you, @The Stranger. You're right- it wouldn't make sense otherwise. But if anyone else can, like, cite a law, it would make me feel a lot better. I'll continue as I was for now, I guess. Thank you for the help. :)
    Oct 28, 2019
  20. sura_tc
    sura_tc
    Saw it coming a while ago.
    Oct 28, 2019
    OnslaughtSupply likes this.
  21. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    @MechScapeZH : Most of the plug-ins have a header saying free to use commercially, so you can just show that as proof.
    Oct 28, 2019
    OnslaughtSupply and MechScapeZH like this.
  22. MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    Within the plug-in? I don't see such a header, but I believe you that it's there. I guess I'm looking in the wrong place. Could you be more specific, @bgillisp? I'm sorry, I don't see it. I see parameters, the title, and a changelog. If Yanfly says anything, I guess I'll show the screenshot of the terms of use. Thank you, everyone.
    Oct 28, 2019
  23. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I use ACE and it is there, no idea in MV but they should have it, as that is what most coders do. Maybe ask on Javascript/plug-in support?
    Oct 28, 2019
    MechScapeZH likes this.
  24. MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    I just looked through the whole plugin in Notepad++, and it's not there, so I don't know what posting in plug-in support would do. But I noticed that there's a line in Properties that says when I downloaded the plugin, so that would work, right? Thank you @bgillisp. Anyway- could anyone explain to me what exactly happened? From what I can gather, something happened and then Yanfly did this. I'm curious now.
    Oct 28, 2019
  25. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yeah, you're right, @MechScapeZH, there's no ToS in the plug-in itself. Seems that the only ToS we have is the one on the wiki. lol. Yanfly seems to have gotten fed up with a handful of people copying their scripting, or even re-selling their plug-ins outright. The other reasons given seem kinda baseless; just vague gripes about entitlement and lack of investment.
    Oct 28, 2019
    Animebryan and MechScapeZH like this.
  26. MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    @The Stranger Well, if that's the case, it's no wonder they reacted like this. I mean, I'd be mad too. I agree with you regarding the rest, though- it could be elaborated upon. I don't know Yanfly but judging from their writing they don't seem like the type to do something like this for nothing. Thank you for the answer. I found that there's a download date under Properties, so I think that'll do, right?
    Oct 28, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  27. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @MechScapeZH Yeah, should be enough if someone ever demands to see proof of licensing for all of your Yanfly plug-ins, but I doubt that'll ever happen. Just focus on your game and forget about this. :)
    Oct 28, 2019
    bgillisp and MechScapeZH like this.
  28. MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    @The Stranger You're right. I'm sorry, it's just that when I see something like this, it makes me nervous, you know? That's the kind of person I am. Sorry if I caused anyone any trouble. Thank you for all the information.
    Oct 28, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  29. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @MechScapeZH Awwh. No need to be sorry. I just don't want you to worry yourself to death over this. It's really only something new users, or folks who have yet to download Yanfly's plug-ins, need to worry about. :)
    Oct 28, 2019
    MechScapeZH likes this.
  30. Elliott404
    Elliott404
    Honestly.. Some "scripters" just have no shame..
    Oct 28, 2019
  31. MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    @The Stranger Well, I wouldn't worry myself to death, haha. If there's a chance that my hard work's been for nothing, it concerns me- that's just how I am. My work is everything to me. Thank you for the reassurance, lol.
    Oct 28, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  32. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @MechScapeZH Hey, be glad you have all of the plug-ins you needed from yanfly. I had forgotten to download a few for my project, and now they've all been removed from the wiki until this new paywall is set up. Teaches me to wait to get things. xD
    Oct 28, 2019
    MechScapeZH likes this.
  33. MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    @The Stranger That's true. Count your blessings, right? I'm sure you'll manage, though. Maybe there's another plugin with the same function? I know I found some ones identical to Yanfly while searching.
    Oct 28, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  34. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I wonder if we'll need to buy a license per project, like many other royalty free licenses, or will it be $1-$5 for a lifetime license? If it's per project, then I can see a lot of people just not bothering with some of their games.
    Oct 28, 2019
    MechScapeZH likes this.
  35. Soulrender
    Soulrender
    So If I'm already have a bunch of Yanfly's plugin does that mean now I have to pay for them?
    Oct 28, 2019
  36. RitualTeeth
    RitualTeeth
    @MechScapeZH A Yanfly's post asked if they will have to stop using the plugins they already have now and buy each one of them separately, Yanfly replied "Nope, the ones you have are the ones you own!" so you most likely do not need to worry.
    Oct 28, 2019
  37. MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    @RitualTeeth Thank you so much! This is what I wanted to know. If it came from Yanfly, that's it- that's the answer.
    Oct 28, 2019
    RitualTeeth likes this.
  38. Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    @Soulrender - quoting Yanfly: "Nope, the ones you have are the ones you own!" What Yanfly is considering is making future downloads blocked behind a paywall.
    Oct 28, 2019
    Soulrender likes this.
  39. zerobeat032
    zerobeat032
    then what I'm gathering is the last 4 will be paid... and if you DON'T have any, you'll now have to pay for them. I can't say I blame Yanfly tho... but I REALLY feel for younger people in the community that don't/can't have jobs or people doing this solely as a hobby, and anyone who is discovering this all now...
    Oct 28, 2019
    The Stranger likes this.
  40. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I just hope Yanfly gives an option to pay a flat fee and get all of them. If I have to pay for each 1 at a time it will never happen as I'll trip my credit card's fraud detection system long before I get done
    Oct 28, 2019
  41. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Can't do a bunch of $1 purchases on a credit card here in the US at once.
    Oct 28, 2019
  42. FleshToDust
    FleshToDust
    $5 a piece with 200 plugins, $1000. Oof.
    Oct 28, 2019
  43. bgillisp
    bgillisp
    @FleshToDust : Better not. The average RPGMaker game doesn't even make $1000 on Steam now. It will drive people away if it is that high.
    Oct 28, 2019
    FleshToDust and The Stranger like this.
  44. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I also can't make a lot of minor purchases without my bank growing suspicious and putting a temporary ban\suspension on my card until I verify that, yes, I did want to make those transactions. Ah well, guess I can't fault them for being cautious.
    Oct 28, 2019
  45. The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Even at $1 per plug-in it'll cost a fair amount. Like I said, I'm not too happy with taking something that has been free for years, and suddenly putting it behind a paywall.
    Oct 28, 2019
    dragonx777, Finnuval, Kyuukon and 2 others like this.
  46. RitualTeeth
    RitualTeeth
    @The Stranger ...Have to agree. I can understand Yanfly's reasons, but it's really disheartening for people like me who are poor/low income and are making a game as a passion project.
    Oct 28, 2019