RPG Maker Forums

Hudell
Hudell
I stopped working on plugins years ago and I still have people adding me on social networks or filling a support ticket on my game just to try to convince me to add a specific feature in some old plugin I don't even remember making.
Hudell
Hudell
Yanfly said everyone who already downloaded his plugins can continue to use them, so nobody lost anything in this.

He's handling this change pretty well.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Hudell I guess any newcomers will lose out because of this. It won't harm those who have already stolen Yanfly's code and profited from it. Ah well, at least they'll have 30 of the main plug-ins to play around with.
Neo Soul Gamer
Neo Soul Gamer
@The Stranger Yanfly never said that switching to a paid model would prevent that theft/piracy. And that wasn't the reason for the decision. So even though I agree with you, it doesn't make much sense to bring that up point.

I'm talking about the claim that entitlement will be worse, which is what you seem to be implying with the "If Yanfly thought that entitlement from certain people is bad now..." comment.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Neo Soul Gamer Piracy and code theft was a major driving force behind this. Yanfly had been making posts on their site about various code thieves, and one of the first things they did after announcing this new paid model was to update their ToS about the use of their code outside the scope of game creation.
The Stranger
The Stranger
And yes, I do believe entitlement will be made worse by this. All Yanfly is doing is turning people into paying customers, and customers tend to demand more than non-paying folk. Take a look at how nasty Steam customers can get, what with their brigading and such. The internet is a cruel place. Even more so when you do something people dislike, or it's about money.
hiddenone
hiddenone
Who said Yanfly really wants money for the plugins? Clearly he wants something more valuable and even harder to get... Finished quality games. :VXA4:
The Stranger
The Stranger
@hiddenone True. He wouldn't be thinking of charging a $1 for a plug-in if it was about profit, but it's still an act that will, and already has, rub people the wrong way.
BlueMage
BlueMage
You know how smart people give you an excuse =)
Neo Soul Gamer
Neo Soul Gamer
@The Stranger Respectfully, that's a pretty narrow-minded view of the issue. The recent theft was what caused the discussion, sure. But the discussion caused the decision. This is a very nuanced issue with many factors to consider. It's not just about theft/piracy. It's more about how free things are devaluing people's hard work and fostering a "gimme free stuff" culture in the community.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Neo Soul Gamer And I disagree with that conclusion. I see it as fairly immoral to take something that has been free for years, and suddenly demand money for it. As I said, some people were only donating to Yanfly because they thought it'd support them in the creation, and maintenance, of free plug-ins for the community.
The Stranger
The Stranger
But, as I said earlier, it won't be much of a problem for long. Those who can't afford to buy scripts, that were previously free, will just take them by other means. In the end, all Yanfly will have done is tarnish his reputation, and none of his goals of reducing entitlement, encouraging finished games, etc, will have been achieved.
Neo Soul Gamer
Neo Soul Gamer
@The Stranger Yeah. I can respect that. But you're still fixated on the theft aspect of things, which is not the only problem. I'm trying to make a different point here. Lol.
The Stranger
The Stranger
They will feed into one another. Do you really believe that someone who has a bloated sense of entitlement will stop being entitled just because you've put a $1-$5 paywall in front of them? What it will do, and is already doing, is change folk's opinion of Yanfly.
Neo Soul Gamer
Neo Soul Gamer
Yanfly's ******* success is an anomaly. Hime, SRD, Victor, Galv, etc. They all had a relatively small subscriber base. That's a huge part of the reason why we lose great plugin developers. They're not compensated for their work. Yanfly saw that giving all their plugins for free was detrimental to the other developers. This decision is setting the expectation that you have to pay people for their work going forward.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yanfly assumed that was the case, but doesn't really know if that was the reason or not. There have also been plug-in makers who have charged for their work, but they've still vanished in the end. And Yanfly has willingly been making free scripts for years, since VX, and only now has this become a problem?
The Stranger
The Stranger
Why is he also not charging for his old VX and Ace scripts? People still use those, and I'm sure he put as much time into those as his MV stuff. Besides, $1 isn't recompense for hard work. We've also just returned to people pirating these things now. Yanfly wants money for things that had been free for years, some won't pay and will just take.
Neo Soul Gamer
Neo Soul Gamer
Probably better to take this to PM at this point. Because you're just flat out not understanding the perspective that I, and many others have. Just to be clear, I'm not saying you're "wrong" in the way you're thinking. I just think that there's more to consider here. Otherwise, we'll have to agree to disagree.
The Stranger
The Stranger
That's the problem with perspective, it's difficult for others to see what you're seeing. But, you're right, I've derailed this status for long enough. lol.
Mega Man Volnutt
Mega Man Volnutt
All i have to say is to just use whats free. I'm surprised he gave us 10 more plugins plus the last new ones. I somehow still have the plugins before they were paywalled (i am someone who just throws plugins into my projects so yeah) so I dont know how hard it'll be with just the freebies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

anyone else 'round here gonna be doing the retro game jam that's starting in a few days on itch.io?
I also wanted to say that my bro brought back nostalgia and got me a GBA SP for my birthday! Ah, the memories of Pokémon Sapphire and LeafGreen! It came in a gray shell but he ordered a red one so it'd look like the one I had as a kid. It looks brand new!
qhE9zC8.jpg
LsluASM.jpg
It's minus 50 out today, ugh. I'm so freaking cold. =_=;
0YJJJiG.gif
kkSYWES.gif
0YJJJiG.gif

Working on some fan assets! I won't share them all just yet, but it's a fun practice! (So maybe keep an eye out for a thread for them in the future?) :kaohi: These boyos are Pink Slimes and a Tabby Slime from Slime Rancher.​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MitchMann12