RPG Maker Forums

The Stranger
The Stranger
Why can't you write? I know how you feel, though. I enjoy writing stories far more than designing game mechanics. Been thinking of giving up on game making entirely, and returning to writing stories.
RachelTheSeeker
RachelTheSeeker
The problem is I *can* write. I know I can, and I'm allegedly good at it. But I'm constantly reminded of my failures as a game dev despite being locked into RPG Maker Network's community. I just get caught up in other garbage that I'm not good at, for the sake of telling a story that people might actually pay attention to.
Biestmann
Biestmann
Sounds like making visual novels could be a good fit for you!
RachelTheSeeker
RachelTheSeeker
I'm not interested in those. If I'm making a game, I'm making a game. If I'm writing a story, I'm writing a story.
Shaz
Shaz
Perhaps you may be able to team up with others to bring your story to light. There are people who excel at things other than writing, who might be a good match for you.
RachelTheSeeker
RachelTheSeeker
Why should I force other people to do the work for me? Besides, if I can't pull my own weight, why ruin a team effort?
MrKiwi
MrKiwi
That sounds so negative from you :c Its not forcing if other are willing to help. You can't do everything.
CrowStorm
CrowStorm
" I feel like every day I don't make something is wasted "

This is the one part of your profile post I can really relate to. In my case, it's a nasty combination of physical illness, depression, chores, and poverty-motivated-job-seeking all factoring in as much as simple garden variety lack of motivation, but every day I don't work on my game feels like a day of work permanently and irreparably lost.
CrowStorm
CrowStorm
"I feel like there's a story I want to write with my characters but it's buried under stupid video game mechanics. "

Figure out why you think those mechanics are stupid, and fix or excise them on a case-by-case basis.

"If I'm making a game, I'm making a game. If I'm writing a story, I'm writing a story."

I think for your own peace of mind you should decide which of these it is you're trying to do.
bgillisp
bgillisp
You don't need mechanics, you could do a Visual Novel instead. RPGMaker works fairly well for that. Or VN maker.
CrowStorm
CrowStorm
@bgillisp :

@Biestmann: "Sounds like making visual novels could be a good fit for you!"
@RachelTheSeeker: "I'm not interested in those. If I'm making a game, I'm making a game. If I'm writing a story, I'm writing a story."

Source: literally five posts up. : P
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
VN is an awkward place between story media and gameplay, why not Kinetic Novel?
Quill-Hawthorne
Quill-Hawthorne
What kind of game mechanics are you thinking about that has you cornered? Because a simple rpg can still work with good writing alone
RachelTheSeeker
RachelTheSeeker
Ugh. It's just that I feel the whole game aspect is getting in the way of telling the story. My emotions are just haywire as usual, and yet I can't stop thinking of what I want to do in game terms. I'm also acting as if I have to create a magnum opus in a few days, or else it'll never happen. :x
bgillisp
bgillisp
@CrowStorm : Well sadly it still applies. Plus you do know the forum only shows you the last 3 posts by default right? Not everyone always hits see all comments to read the 50+ posts before them.
bgillisp
bgillisp
@RachelTheSeeker : My suggestion for now is to focus on getting the story written. You can add the rest later. Use a placheolder mechanic for now. Give all enemies 1 HP or something so they are there, but you can figure out the rest later.
Shaz
Shaz
It sounds like you're looking at the whole project as one big thing that has to be done. That can sure be overwhelming. I suggest you break it down into tasks, then break those down into much smaller tasks. Order them. Work on the first one, maybe keep the next one or two at the back of your mind, and try to completely ignore everything else. It might make it easier for you to concentrate and make progress.
RachelTheSeeker
RachelTheSeeker
@Shaz Unfortunately so. I do that with like every long-term project. I do think breaking the dev process into tasks seems a good idea, especially as I've written myself day-to-day agendas before and have done well with those.
Shaz
Shaz
I know exactly what you mean. I do the same with all kinds of projects, not just game dev. Bite sized chunks makes the whole thing less intimidating. Also making lists - just being able to cross one thing off and pick up the next gives a great psychological boost and provides a feeling of accomplishment and motivation.
Shaz
Shaz
When writing the story, don't worry about how you're going to implement it. Worry about it when you get to that point, and either ask for help, put it aside a few days and just let it simmer in the back of your mind (amazing how often solutions pop up when you do that), or at worst rewrite little bits to make it easier. That way it's not blocking your creativity when writing.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Are there examples of MV games that emulate retro graphics? By that I mean 8x8 or 16x16 tiles, a smaller resolution and scaled up screen
Pft... people think the moon landing is fake. Nonsense. The moon doesnt even exist in the first place, it's just the reflection of the earth on the surface of space.
I don't know if anyone will get my old pop culture references. Item: Empty Basket. Description: Don't worry. Yogi Bear won't try to steal it.
My second childrens book is finally uploaded and approved and available to buy! I am so happy!
I just realized I passed 1,000 likes. I'm amazed you people actually like this crap. It's no surprise you'd like my high quality content. :kaopride:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Etawaha