RPG Maker Forums

bgillisp
bgillisp
I think I'm just going to start posting this any time I see a fight or such break out on social media:
Finnuval
Finnuval
@bgillisp I'm afraid that would become a 24/7 type deal 7 days a week...
standardplayer
standardplayer
@Tai_MT lol you know life can get worse than yours, right?if you can't think of any reasons why people would be as angry as you see them on FB.....lol you know there are even angrier people, right? Just.....there's a LOT of reasons why somebody might be angry, and if you can't think of any, it doesn't mean they aren't real.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Social media shares many of the same pros and cons as the internet in general. It can be an amazing tool for meeting wonderful new people, sharing knowledge and ideas, etc. However, it can also be a place to spread misinformation, bump into your polar opposite, or share in anger and disgust at various happenings.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
@standardplayer Life can be worse than mine. But, those people should generally seek professional help instead of blasting it all over Facebook. The reasons people are angry on Facebook are inane reasons. Most of those inane reasons are self-inflicted issues that the person has no intention of ever solving, but has every intention of advertising.
standardplayer
standardplayer
'Professional help' is something that unfortunately everyone doesn't know how to find, have the means to acquire it.Some are too damaged or scared to reach out.. Therapy is expensive, not all insurances cover the kinds one might need. As long as they aren't initially going after other people, releasing your anger is often the best or only option. Professionals even say screaming at nothing can be healthy.
Finnuval
Finnuval
My advice : dontt have Facebook... Solves a lot of issues lol
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
If someone was genuinely using Facebook to actually seek help, that would be one thing. However, that's not how the world works. These people who "have worse lives and need professional help" aren't actually seeking that help. Instead, they're blasting all their issues on Facebook in hopes of obtaining sympathy and an echo chamber to mirror their own points of view. They aren't interested in help.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I have sympathy for people who actually have very serious issues and actually want to get the help they need. However, any random look at Facebook will tell you that the people there... aren't that sort of crowd. The people on Facebook are genuinely people who need to get out more and stop living in their own headspaces. They need to find ways to be happy that aren't "create drama and be the center of attention".
standardplayer
standardplayer
Dude....not everyone knows they need help. A large part of stress and social/mental issues is that the person doesn't understand what they're experiencing is irrational. 'Get help' has become more of an insult than an actual statement said to help someone. So when they hear that, they think people are just being jerks. Even when they become aware of it, seeking professional can be scary
standardplayer
standardplayer
When people who don't have therapists hear about people who do, or even hear the name of a personality/social/mental disorder, many consciously or unconsciously shun them. So many of these folks don't even have people around them to lean on or guide them, because their condition can drive people away from them.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
I understood what you were saying and treat it with the proper reverence you want me to. Now, please, listen to what I'm saying. If you are on Facebook and are only happy when you are spreading anger, drama, and being the center of attention... This is not something you seek professional help for. This is a character flaw. These people who do this simply want attention.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Put simply, these people could never get professional help, because they will never believe they need help of any kind. Nobody could ever convince them that they're wrong, or what they're doing is wrong. These are people that need to be shunted back into the real world where such behavior is ignored and they can't get attention.
standardplayer
standardplayer
You can't really claim to know what they want, if they're happy, or why they're doing something. Social media is the last place where you'd find the actual reason for why someone is doing something on social media. If someone is acting that way, they probably do need help. But like I said, they naturally drive people away, or turn them off. The desire to help them isn't there, so instead of damaged they're 'flawed'
standardplayer
standardplayer
Also, the people you just described (in your last message) sound like Narcissistic Psychopaths. They absolutely need to get help before they go 'back to the real world'. I worked for one last year. They don't have the ability to see themselves for what they are. It's very dangerous, they absolutely need help, because otherwise they're allowed to own businesses and have employees
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Actually, you know a lot about people by studying their behavior, word choice, and sentence structure. It's typically how I nail down most people who I interact with online (including age range, gender, moral beliefs, and personal levels of self-esteem). It's really not too difficult if you pay attention to what people are saying to you.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
There is also a STARK difference between someone with legitimate mental issues and people who are just... well... people who just have a character flaw. I really hate the way we try to normalize character flaws as some sort of status symbol and turn them into legitimate mental health issues.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
The internet teaches too easily that any minor issue you have as a person is a "mental issue" and you need to "seek medical help" for it. This is not true and I wish it would stop happening because it delegitimizes ACTUAL mental health issues.
standardplayer
standardplayer
Lol that's called being judgemental! You have no way to test if you're right. Being able to tell gender and age aren't special. Moral beliefs doesn't seem worth mentioning in that list, you cannot accurately tell someone's race from their speech, and self-esteem is a very context-sensitive matter. I'm less confident and nicer on the web than I am in real life, by far.
standardplayer
standardplayer
The internet brought a lot of good and bad with it. We get smarter as time goes on, any goofy statement made to the contrary is poetic at best. We get smarter. We find new things. We realize old stuff we did was stupid, ignorant and sometimes cruel. People today are in ridiculously social world, there are new problems being researched and diagnosed all the time. Lol we aren't done

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

just watched spacex launch. was awesome.
Jumping and gravitation 0.1 build - RPG Maker MV
Currently playing final fantasy 3 on DS. It's an old one but its a classic.
BCj
Gotta love some gossip :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakeofblades