RPG Maker Forums

Shaz
Shaz
lol on that thread. I bet you're sitting back laughing at me now.
There are times a thread gets so bad, I wonder why I ever got involved in the first place. I vow never to help that person again because it was so long and drawn out. But I have a lousy memory, so I have to set them to ignore 'cause I can't trust myself to remember who they were, until it's too late!
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
For whatever it's worth, I also don't really ask questions for the same reason... So many things to type out. My whole game relies on so many different complex Common Events to handle everything from map generation, map clean up, mob spawns, movement, interactions between different events... I even created my own tool box plugin to optimize some of it. Imagine any question I ask, I'd have to explain so much. :o
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
@Shaz Honestly I didn't even know MV stopped updating events outside of a certain distance. I mean I knew they stopped updating the built-in movement. But not the rest. For awhile I was setting events to blank pages if they were beyond the a certain distance from the player. All in my quest to break 800 events on the map at 60fps on a potato computer.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Terrax Lighting doesn't shut off though, no matter the distance. So I built my game around spawning in events near the player (the whole map actually), and despawning stuff that's too far away from the player. I don't use normal events at all though, everything is always spawned in. My solution is complicated and probably not what I want to explain to them.
Reactions: Shaz
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
There might be some solution in Terrax's plugin to fix that guy's problem, but Terrax is famous for hating object oriented programming. Most people open it up, then close it because they realize what a headache it would be to edit it.
  • Wow
Shaz
Shaz
Did not know that! Glad I didn't get tempted to download it and take a look!
Shaz
Shaz
aww, crumbs - now you've got me questioning it! I was certain MV had built-in anti-lag. Now I've got to go and look it up :(
Shaz
Shaz
So maybe it only updates the movement if it's near the screen - that'd be autonomous movement. I suppose that's the only thing that needs to be updated though, as if it's not near the screen, the player's not going to interact with it. And it does update events that are set to autorun or parallel, which RPG Maker has always done.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Sounds about right, I remember laughing as I discovered Terrax Lighting also hates any notetag that isn't it's own, so while Yanfly's MoveRouteCore has an <Always Update Movement> notetag to circumvent the autonomous movement issue, it can't be used with Terrax Lighting. Doesn't matter now since I long ago switched to a Common Event that handles movement.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
But it's just one more fun little surprise for anybody unfortunate enough to want a lighting plugin for MV. Honestly if I had to rank the most obnoxious plugins for MV, Terrax Lighting is going to be an easy second right behind the love and bane of my existence, Yanfly Self Variables. :LZSskeptic:
  • Wow
The Stranger
The Stranger
Why does Terrax Lighting interfere with so much stuff? DOes it cast dynamic lighting or something? I don't use it; I'm just using picture overlays for my lighting effects.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Oh it's an entirely dynamic lighting plugin. It makes it very easy to light up events, tiles, and regions with light sources that glow, or act like flames. What's more you can make plugin commands to adjust sizes on the fly, change the colors or even summon temporary lights on specific coordinates. It's basically the best "commercially legal" lighting plugin MV has.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
But it's written as a giant mess, that's very challenging to work with, and it was written some time ago. So it just doesn't play friendly with anything that uses notetags. And unless you write all of your lights as <effect on x,y> and update it... Which is pretty intensive, you'll have to use the notetags. But it doesn't parse notetags at all, so if it doesn't see exactly what it likes, it won't work at all.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
I use it because I'm going to be spawning in everything, and I have absolutely no idea where it's going to be. So picture overlays just aren't going to work. It's a very pretty plugin, and well worth it. And it's really not as obnoxious as I make it out to be for most people, if you're using stationary stuff or use no other notetags it's actually very easy to work with.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Honestly my only problems with it were largely I had no idea how to make it work with Galv's Map Projectiles ages ago. So I wrote an entire projectile system, and only later realized Galv was actually throwing pictures attached to objects, not events. Other problems were making it work with Ultra Mode 7, and dealing with needing to despawn too many events for memory reasons.
Shaz
Shaz
I LOVE Yanfly Self Variables!!!
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Definitely, I wouldn't even consider MV a functional product without it. Though 95% of the time, if my code doesn't work but looks like it should... It's because I have to run a Yanfly Self Variable through a regular MV Global Variable to make it compatible. They also poorly store Arrays for whatever reason. So often if you create a self variable array, put info in it, then leave the map and return...
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
The array will report as having that info, but checks against it will fail. However new info added to that same array will report as being in there with the old stuff, but checks against the new stuff will work. And we're not even going to talk about it's interactions with Galv's Event Spawner. Nightmare fuel.
Shaz
Shaz
interesting ... I'll have to take a closer look when I get back to my project.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
It's funny, just tonight I wanted to make a particular enemy see the paths the player was making. It needed to hit the path, eat it (flip that particular path's self switch D on), but then also take damage. But only that particular type of mob was supposed to do that. Mob saw the path, took the damage and didn't eat it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Seems like people have stopped looking both ways before crossing the road nowadays. Blindly walking out into a into a road only ends in disaster.
Just finished planning out the skeleton of the main quest line of my new game. I'm so excited for it!
Integrating Jason Perry's japan tile set while listening to Murray Atkinson's Heaven and Earth background music.
I forgot I had an account on rpgmakercentral lol
"What do you think the best place to visit on this cold days?" "Hell..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keyboardjockey