RPG Maker Forums

ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
But it's just one more fun little surprise for anybody unfortunate enough to want a lighting plugin for MV. Honestly if I had to rank the most obnoxious plugins for MV, Terrax Lighting is going to be an easy second right behind the love and bane of my existence, Yanfly Self Variables. :LZSskeptic:
  • Wow
Reactions: Shaz
The Stranger
The Stranger
Why does Terrax Lighting interfere with so much stuff? DOes it cast dynamic lighting or something? I don't use it; I'm just using picture overlays for my lighting effects.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Oh it's an entirely dynamic lighting plugin. It makes it very easy to light up events, tiles, and regions with light sources that glow, or act like flames. What's more you can make plugin commands to adjust sizes on the fly, change the colors or even summon temporary lights on specific coordinates. It's basically the best "commercially legal" lighting plugin MV has.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
But it's written as a giant mess, that's very challenging to work with, and it was written some time ago. So it just doesn't play friendly with anything that uses notetags. And unless you write all of your lights as <effect on x,y> and update it... Which is pretty intensive, you'll have to use the notetags. But it doesn't parse notetags at all, so if it doesn't see exactly what it likes, it won't work at all.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
I use it because I'm going to be spawning in everything, and I have absolutely no idea where it's going to be. So picture overlays just aren't going to work. It's a very pretty plugin, and well worth it. And it's really not as obnoxious as I make it out to be for most people, if you're using stationary stuff or use no other notetags it's actually very easy to work with.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Honestly my only problems with it were largely I had no idea how to make it work with Galv's Map Projectiles ages ago. So I wrote an entire projectile system, and only later realized Galv was actually throwing pictures attached to objects, not events. Other problems were making it work with Ultra Mode 7, and dealing with needing to despawn too many events for memory reasons.
Shaz
Shaz
I LOVE Yanfly Self Variables!!!
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Definitely, I wouldn't even consider MV a functional product without it. Though 95% of the time, if my code doesn't work but looks like it should... It's because I have to run a Yanfly Self Variable through a regular MV Global Variable to make it compatible. They also poorly store Arrays for whatever reason. So often if you create a self variable array, put info in it, then leave the map and return...
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
The array will report as having that info, but checks against it will fail. However new info added to that same array will report as being in there with the old stuff, but checks against the new stuff will work. And we're not even going to talk about it's interactions with Galv's Event Spawner. Nightmare fuel.
Shaz
Shaz
interesting ... I'll have to take a closer look when I get back to my project.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
It's funny, just tonight I wanted to make a particular enemy see the paths the player was making. It needed to hit the path, eat it (flip that particular path's self switch D on), but then also take damage. But only that particular type of mob was supposed to do that. Mob saw the path, took the damage and didn't eat it.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Code looked perfect, all I did was replace the Self Variable in the self switch flip command with a normal global and it worked perfectly. Literally var key = [$gameMap._mapId,$gameVariables.value(37),'D'];
$gameSelfSwitches.setValue(key,true);
And all I changed was 23 to 37 (a normal global). It's just little issues like that. It has lots of them.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Oh I guess I left out the line before that... I had to add it in. I set variable 37 to be equal to variable 23. So just in case you're wondering, 23 had the right value, MV just didn't like it. As a joke, variable 37 has the name "Throw away for Compatibility".... Obviously this issue never comes up, like never, seriously never. :LZSskeptic:
Lilly
Lilly
I have to many skills to share...I closed my helping tread, but people still ask for stuff!!
I can't bear to say no so.....
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
I'd help more but every time I look it's people only having plugin related questions.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
See if you just hang out in the Learning Javascript board, you'll find lots of people with non-plugin related questions. :LZSexcite: But yeah it really does seem to be the default to ask for a plugin to do something rather than a way to event it.

@Lilly What kind of masochist opens a helping thread when they can't say no to helping? :o
Lilly
Lilly
I'm sorry?
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Oh just an over the top way of asking why you'd knowingly make a thread that invites people to ask for your help, when you can't say no. Seems a dangerous thread to make.
Lilly
Lilly
Well, I wanted to do it then, but I closed it and now they keep coming~!
I can't say no so I kinda did a lot of work last time...
Shaz
Shaz
lol - in my commissions thread I stated very clearly "I don't do battle systems". My first 3 requests were battle systems. I did one of them, because it was such an interesting idea and not such a great departure to the default as most battle system requests are.

@Lilly, learn to say no. People can go to others and ask for help.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just had a stranger SPRINT away from me in the grocery store. Talk about overreaction...
...I don't think I'm that ugly! ^-^
I wonder if I can go outside ye-

Government: lemme stop you right there
Alright, who's playing Jumanji? And whose turn is it?!
*Buys all the PVGames assets, ends up creating his own ground tiles.* At least I used the other types of graphics? Right? :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KURAMAA0