RPG Maker Forums

standardplayer
standardplayer
eh.....I'm willing to bet you'd be better off learning how to build your own menus through JS. Its a lot easier than you think, and way more flexible. I'm betting you have to write JS with the stuff you do in events, anyway. I made an aweome Elemental Combo Skill system and a great menu to go with on my first real, post-Poryg video attempt at a plugin.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
It's true, I could make a plugin for it. But I mean he's already done it. It does layers, it lets me have text on the screen at all times, change text and pictures with variables, do busts, dolls, gauges, colors, animate any of it, move things around mid game, I even get to position stuff by drag and drop. Honestly HUD Maker is secretly the best dialogue system in MV.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Seems almost silly to reinvent the wheel here. Better to spend my time creating the actual interface graphics, since I have to do that either way. Most of my plugin work so far has been pushing my common events into plugin form for optimization. Though I do want to experiment with plugin stuff more, but I also want to finish my game some year. :LZSwink:
standardplayer
standardplayer
Lol I get that. My problem with using other plugins is that I always wind up wanting them to do something they can't, regardless of how I push the boundaries. In the end, I always wind up making a lot from scratch. I also kind of low-key hate SRD plugins, I don't know if he's back yet but the compatibility issues with his stuff were enough to repel me for good.
standardplayer
standardplayer
But his plugin creating tutorials (which I didn't find helpful at all, unfortunately - Go Poryg!) they were hilarious. And he talked so fast, and was actually pretty funny
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Yeah I found his videos amusing as well. I will admit, his tutorial for HUD Maker was very, very lacking though. It wasn't until I experimented with it a lot that I understood exactly what it could do. He fails to explain the animations, and the syntax for almost everything (especially using multiple configurations).
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
But yeah a lot of plugins I find are often more trouble than they are worth, so I typically just code my way around them. I use 17 plugins made by other people, and 3 made by myself (all of which could be 1 but I broke it up for organization). Plugins I like basically are the open possibility stuff like Yanfly's Self Variables, Galv's Event Spawner,....
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
QSprite, QMovement (because QSprite is worth putting up with it), Terrax Lighting, etc. I really don't use any plugin that could be done with eventing alone... Well besides my own, but that's just for optimization reasons.
The Stranger
The Stranger
We're all kids at heart. We just love to play with new, shiny, cool things.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
You can make menu's with eventing alone.
standardplayer
standardplayer
Lol we know. We all know.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Have you ever tried keeping a balloon or plastic bag in the air by hitting it? I sometimes do that, it's really fun. No idea why I find it so fun. xD
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
@FleshToDust One thing I've never seen an eventing method of doing is leaving text on the screen while the player is still controlling their character. Sure you can show a pic of the text, but dynamically changing the text? Maybe with some insanely intensive picture swapping setup. And yes you could do some combination of show pics and show choices to make a simple menu, this is true.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
However, I want my menu to allow the player to walk around in it so they can walk to various upgrades, the upgrade description appears as though the character is telling you about it. Then if you select it, it updates your stats right there on the screen. Or if it's a new ability outright, I want to run a small tutorial for the player to play in the menu itself.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
HUD Maker, a blank map, and swapping the menu button did that very easily. :LZSexcite:
The Stranger
The Stranger
Are we thinking of the same HUD maker? The one I have is a program that lets you easily create 2D HUD assets for your game. I mostly use it to create shapes, because making shapes in GIMP is really hard for some reason; why are ther eno shape tools? >.< IOh! I also used it to create life gauges and other stuff. Got it back when I was making a short project in FPS Creator.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
http://sumrndm.site/hud-maker/ is the one I'm talking about. He really explains very poorly what can be done with it (or I just like to experiment). It's so far does my HUD, my Title Screen, my Menu, and has replaced all of my dialogue plugins. :LZSexcite:
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Also have you looked into https://krita.org ? It's setup like Photoshop, except it's more geared towards artists, it's entirely free and pretty much blows GIMP out of the water in every way. I end up using it over Photoshop a lot of the time, mostly because outside of complex photo editing tricks, it does everything PS does. But it's significantly better than PS for art.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
Krita doesn't seem to be great for pixel art but I'd definitely use it when I'm drawing with a tablet. Maybe I just haven't found the right settings for pixel art on Krita though. Gimp is my go-to when it comes to pixel art. I might switch over to Asesprite in the future though. It looks really good.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
That's fair, I don't really do a lot of pixel art. Edits occasionally, mostly I do interface, backgrounds.... or whatever else I need that isn't in the PVGames library, which honestly at this point isn't much. Never really got much into GIMP though, found it's layer system and most of it's interface to be questionable. Then again I had 10 years of Photoshop before that, so that almost certainly colored my judgement.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Writing out an idea for the No Travel Game Jam. I have a general plot and challenge written out, it's just a matter of filling the rest in and making it interesting.
A definite difficult time right now. How is everyone doing during this pandemic? I already have seen furloughs and layoffs.
Hollow 1977 wrote on Archeia's profile.
Hope you and your family are doing well during this difficult time. :)
My elderly neighbor whom I've been buying groceries for just got carried out of his home on a stretcher by guys with hazmat suits. Considering I've been his only point of contact for the past month it's probably safe to say my boss was right to tell me to stay home once I developed a mild cough after all.
Damn. All these new features to the forums. Takes some getting used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IronQuake