RPG Maker Forums

ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Fair enough. *goes to create long boring cutscenes in which the characters do nothing but sit around talking* :LZSwink:
The Stranger
The Stranger
Picked up Valkyria Revolution for a couple of quid, and this type of thing seems to make up the majority of the game. Long, boring cutscenes in which characters do nothing but stand still while talking, broken up by loading screens that slightly change the location these cutscenes take place in.
standardplayer
standardplayer
Lol I was just playing 1 and 2 today! I was telling my wife about how I want 4, and about how Revolution seemed to go pretty far off the map as far as gameplay
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Unfortunately a lot of Japanese games follow that method of story telling. I mean I just played through Bloodstained Ritual of the Night and every story bit was either busts talking, or the characters on the screen about to fight and talking. Fantastic gameplay but not the most exciting well to tell a story.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@standardplayer Plays like a slow, boring version of Dynasty Warriors. Game feels like 90% cutscenes and 10% button mashing on bland battlefields. I gave up playing the first one. Got stuck on some super tank boss which you had to kill before it reached some point on the map.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Then again, it takes a long time to setup cutscenes so most of the time a indie dev's time is better spent on improving gameplay over cutscenes. Very few people will stop playing your game if you have shortish boring cutscenes if your gameplay is fun. But the other way is not usually true.
The Stranger
The Stranger
standardplayer
standardplayer
@The Stranger I literally just beat that boss today lol, the first one can definitely be tough at some parts though
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
@The Stranger Honestly, I don't think anybody likes it. Pretty certain for most it's just a question of expediency.
Prez
Prez
How do you make cutscenes less boring? Besides having the characters do the sprite-sized equivalent of wild gesticulating, I spose. :V
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Have them performing actions, like if they start talking about a book, have one of them walk to a book case or an open book on a table. Maybe one starts telling a sad story, and walks towards a balcony to look out over the city. Or if a monster is attacking, having the players yell things as they run through a building. Any of those are way more exciting than just having two characters facing each other talking.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah, just minor actions such as movement can make a cutscene feel less dead.
Dalph
Dalph
Village under attack by evil wizard, many casualties, one survivor finds hero and begs him to save everyone else, but without showing signs of panic or fear at all (he doesn't even move in fact), hero thinks it's not so bad to the point of requiring his help...and just ignores the problem.
Village is destroyed, villain triumphs.
THE END

Moral: Bland cutscenes can't be taken seriously.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Dalph LOL! Just some random quest giver telling you they're in danger, and that their town is being attacked, but you can't see anything going on, and there's even peaceful music playing. xD
  • Haha
Reactions: Dalph
KazukiT
KazukiT
I agree with you, cutscenes should have some character action such as moving and expressions changes if you are using busts.
Windows i7
Windows i7
Also, if you can injecting humor into cut scenes can make them more tolerable for some people. I've seen this done really well in Persona games for example.
SirStylus
SirStylus
Tell that to the guys who made YIIK.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Prez
Prez
@The Stranger I've never played it, but from what I've been told, it's a rubbish attempt at a modern RPG that tries to be deep but just winds up being obnoxiously pretentious, chiefly because of its unlikeable protag and a tone-deaf attempt at incorporating a real-life unexplained death case into its plot. Also, the protag looks like an anachronistic 2010s hipster despite the late 90s setting. :V

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So, uh, has anyone tried buying any resources from KokoroReflections? Because I've been looking for a 'buy' button on the site for like 10 minutes now and can't find one.
Any also thought it's too cringy to put the word "and you" in your credit as a special thanks?
Cause that's what I thought...
Everyone in the US right now: Please stay safe.
Symphony Celestia: Prophecy of the Falling Stars RPG Maker music pack WIP. Symphony Celestia is a new series that focuses on symphonic and orchestrated music to tell a story. Each story will include compositions that make up that story from beginning to end. Themes include: Battles, adventures, character themes, etc. Below is a video preview to the first story.

Jumping and gravitation 0.1 build - RPG Maker MV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamer4500