RPG Maker Forums

Anomaly
Anomaly
True, but I'd honestly use MV more if it didn't feel like a 'half baked' product. Compared to Ace, It seems the general product is still has a feeling like it's in some sort of beta still over the course of 5 years. I look at Ace as Windows 7, And MV as Windows 10. Could be the next best thing but is still going through the motions to get there.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
I really don't know much about about any of the RM versions besides MV. A lot of the base functionality seems the same to me. I simply learned Javascript and not Ruby. MV does have a deep dark secret though, it's hiding the PIXI graphics engine. If you utilize that directly, you'll discover most limitations of MV are gone. https://www.pixijs.com/
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
I'm very content with MV. The basic functions are ok... could be more flexible. But the plugins and community support for MV is mindblowing! Very few game engines have such a dedicated community and this is the reason there's always a solution to every problem. The engine itself is limited but the plugins do 70% of the work for me :)
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
That's definitely true. It reminds me of Pixel Game Maker MV. That system was basically dead on arrival because they didn't bother to setup a community. I know if it wasn't for this site, I would never have stuck with MV. Plugins from here took a meh product and turned it into a functional engine.
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
Sometimes I grew tired of 2d and went in search for 2.5d at least. There's a very cool new engine but I didn't bother to use it because it doesn't have a strong community. Even if I get stuck, nobody can help me. I plan to stick with MV for as long as I make games.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
You can kind of cheat a bit using PVGames 2.5 graphics, and Ultra Mode 7. I wanted to make a game with those and QMovement's collision map add-on. I did a brief test and it looked like I was playing Diablo 2-3. Just too bad it doesn't fit for my current project. I might use it to make YouTube videos or something.
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
I'm the type of person who wants everything perfect. It's not serious but it makes me anxious to not have things the way I want. First when I saw mode7... then I saw mv3d. I fell in love XD But the graphics! They're not real 3D. I hate how the sprites look. I just can't make myself use it. Graphics aren't a problem. I can render 3d models and make my own but that flaw! It gets on my nerves.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
That's fair. I didn't care for MV3D since well.... Aside from a curiosity, the results look fairly ugly as best I can tell. But I'd love to be proven wrong. Where as Ultra Mode 7 can take your existing graphics and with a 30 or 45 degree angle really give some depth. That being said, it's awful with parallaxes.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
And let's be real here, mapping in this engine without using parallaxes... Well, first that's just masochism, second... The built-in editor makes ugly maps. I always look at everything as "Would I buy this if all I had to look at was screenshots?" Since on Steam that's what people tend to look at according to them. Honestly, I've never seen a map made in MV's editor that made me want to buy a game. :kaoswt:
PixelHeart
PixelHeart
:( ... I really really hope the next RM has an adjustable tile map grid and resolution built in... I keep wanting to use MV, but I’m used to making 16x16 size tiles, and for all the work arounds there are, be it resizing the tiles or using a Several finicky plug-ins to get things to look right...it all just makes my brain go “nope”. :/
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Really your best bet is actually to use QMovement, which will let set the game's tilesize to 16x16 (or any size you want), and allow you to change the step size the player takes to even as little as 1x1. Then just build your map in an art program. QMovement has an add-on that will take a black and white image, then make the white sections passable and the black obstructed. Just use that and boom! Done. :LZSexcite:
PixelHeart
PixelHeart
@ImaginaryVillain - yeah, I’ve heard about that one... does help with the view distance any? Most of the plugins I’ve tried will change the tilesize... but then in just made the maps so big in-game, if you know what I mean.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

GameDevJohn wrote on whtdragon's profile.
Hey I used you bunny and cat spritesheet for a game jam game. Thanks so much! You have really beautiful stuff here. I'll credit you at https://gamedevjohn.itch.io/bunny-boy
The video of a psycho chasing people on the streets with a sword before getting subdued is wild. Apparent screenshots of his Twitter feed (EDIT: confirmed by Dallas police) before it went private reveal a dangerous delusional mindset. I heard there was a bow person too. The crazies are really coming out of the woodworks.
Stream will be live shortly with some Witcher 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Managed to find a way to hang a bed cover over my window. So no more being toasted alive in the afternoon!:kaoswt2:
So, uh, has anyone tried buying any resources from KokoroReflections? Because I've been looking for a 'buy' button on the site for like 10 minutes now and can't find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RPGLordLight