RPG Maker Forums

The Mighty Palm
The Mighty Palm
If you're talking about who I think you are they were the presidents of continental congress and not the same station/title as George Washington. Washington I believe was the first head of state to ever use the title president, though presidents of other offices held the title prior.
The Mighty Palm
The Mighty Palm
Think of it like, the difference between a military captain and the captain of a ship. One is a rank and the other isnt. Washington was President in the sense of being the leader of the country, and Hancock, Randolph, etc were presidents of a government commitee.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
I understand the arguments for not counting them, still feel they should at least get a footnote. The fact is they were presidents of the United Colonies, true that was under the articles of confederation rather than the constitution, but regardless it still feels disingenuous to me to dismiss them as a general by a different name, or that because at that point the colonies hadn't won the war they are illegitimate.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
Plus the argument that they were just president of a government committee kind of falls apart because of the fact that it was THE government commitee, at the time they were the heads of state, and the president the leader of the continental congress, which was the governing body of the territories at the time. I actually somewhat agree with not counting them as presidents of the United States-
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
-considering at the time we were more of a rebellious collective of city-states than a country in our own right, however the fact that I could go through all aspects of my country's education system without hearing a whisper of these times, hell nary a whisper on how the two separate governing bodies which preceded the constitution is unsettling. There's just so much in our history that is deliberately forgotten.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
Misrepresented even. Combine that with how I see our culture deliberately whitewashing history currently, magnifying certain negative aspects to use as a bludgeon to "force cultural change" while pretending some of the greatest achievements of our civilization are nothing but myth...
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
I guess I'm just realizing how much of "what we know" is nothing but propaganda, unverifiable half-truths and deception wound through the ages by various agendas. We can track a lot of it down to rudimentary facts, but everything is tainted with what someone else wants us to see at the end of the day, and literally everything needs to be self-scrutinized just to prove those rudimentary facts.
The Mighty Palm
The Mighty Palm
I feel that's not the case though. They're documented and recorded which is really all you can ask for. You cant cover every single figure from every single period in school or you'd never leave the 18th century. For the same reason you dont learn the names of all the sitting senators during Lincolns presidency in school, you dont learn about the presidents of continental congress.
The Mighty Palm
The Mighty Palm
It's not forgotten or erased evident by the fact that anyone can look it up and read about it. It's there for you to learn. What we know is what the people of that time documented. Theres no one alive that remembers the civil war, the titanic, world war one... but documentation exists. We may not know everything about everything but the notion that it's all some conspiracy is frankly, insulting to our historians.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
And you learn bullshit instead such as Betsy Ross, the Wright brothers, Rosa Parks, all of these staples of our education...and every single one is propagandist crap. What about Gustav Whitehead or Claudette Colvin? Why were they replaced, stripped of their contributions in history, contributions given to other, more palatable alternatives who came after?
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
I've got hundreds of these examples, at least where I grew up, the staples of our historical record as taught were more lies than not. The fact that we can look back on these historical records, prove the curriculum outright wrong (or at least misleading, in the case of the 15 presidents) just makes it all the worse.
The Mighty Palm
The Mighty Palm
But you know who Gustav Whitehead is? And Claudette Colvin as well? The attempt to keep you in the dark about them must not have been as effective as you insinuate.
It's no propoganda*. Knowledge is available to those who seek it, and the truth is discussed and scrutinized every single day by the experts.
The Mighty Palm
The Mighty Palm
Theres far too many conflicting interests for there to be one "agenda". I'm sure there are historians and people in charge of curriculum that share your sentiments. But no system can be flawless, and its flaws are not evidence for malicious intent.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
You're the only person here who said anything about conspiracies or singular agendas. All I posited is that most of what is in the history books that are the only exposure most people have is tainted by agendas other than educating them on the actual history, and that as a result it all has to be scrutinized to find the actual truth or as close to it as we have access to.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
To clarify, look to Betsy Ross. The agenda behind that deception is known, her great great grandson leveraged a mythology he spun of her into a lucrative business opportunity. To what purpose do we continue to perpetuate her myth 130-odd years later however, that I can't answer. And then there's history like Anthony Johnson, which merely speaking of will get a kid kicked out of class, from personal experience anyway.
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
The Agendas which poison the common histories can be many and contradictory, of various origins, but clearly they remain and are a very real part of what is and isn't taught and discussed, even to this day.
The Mighty Palm
The Mighty Palm
You're correct. "propaganda, unverifiable half-truths and deception" was your words and I erroneously used conspiracy in place of propaganda. I amend my statements as such.
The Mighty Palm
The Mighty Palm
What I meant for a singular agenda was that if there were various agendas and conflicting interests then there could not be a coordinated deception on the scale you talk of.
The Mighty Palm
The Mighty Palm
I doubt either of us will cede ground here, so perhaps best to end it and agree to disagree?
Philosophus Vagus
Philosophus Vagus
I'm not talking about a coordinated deception, at least not in the antiquated sense. I don't believe historians are some evil cabal or anything. As for the people in charge of writing modern day textbooks which happen to include a lot of folk myth and half-truth as center points while skirting clearly more deserving historical legacy entirely...

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Gameboy Tiles, Cure Writer's Block, Animations on Menu, Generate Tasks | RPG Maker News #40

How would you judge a game you played? Art/Graphics? Story? Gameplay?
Learn MV sales goal = 2%
NSFW game sales goal = 2500% (no jokes) :guffaw:
After gathering, sorting out & reconsidering hundreds of enemy battlers over the last two das, finally my favorite part begins: Inventing names and lore for them all :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonTonyPepperoni