RPG Maker Forums

The Stranger
The Stranger
On a similar note, why are empires in most FF games not only evil, but also have access to ridiculous levels of technology? The rest of the world uses swords and shields, but this one empire uses robots and tanks, and yet it still seems incapable of conquering its neighbours properly. lol.
Reactions: Dalph
MrKiwi
MrKiwi
*Screams in FFVI*

That's why there should be a third reign... of Kiwis! They have tank-swords, laser shields and infinite money >:]
The Stranger
The Stranger
@MrKiwi Do you have any robot shields to go along with those tank swords? :p
MrKiwi
MrKiwi
Sadly no... those are kinda expensive... wait... we have infinite money ._.

Thanks first minister Stranger, your contribution to the cause will go down into history!
The Mighty Palm
The Mighty Palm
I think in FFs case theyre implying that their technological advancement is how they became an empire. In ff6 the empire is still in the process of conquering the world, so their tech hasnt been reverse engineered. (And wont be because magitek requires espers to work)
The Stranger
The Stranger
@The Mighty Palm Currently playing FFXIV, and the evil empire in that feels a lot like the empire in 6. Kinda wish we actually saw them do things, rather than simply being told that they're doing stuff we don't like. I tend to have a disconnect with protags in a lot of FF games though. Just don't like being told to care for something and to hate something else without being shown exactly why.
Reactions: Dalph
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
How about theocracy, direct democracy, hermit kingdom, and oligarchy are they automatic good or evil?:LZSsmile: That is funny how they formate the storyline.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Kupotepo Theocracies in many RPGs tend to be corrupt and evil. Anything that's not ruled by some sort of democracy or noble king\queen seems to be bad. lol.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Just completed the Heavensward expansion of FFXIV, and the religious kingdom in that was basically Vatican city that gets turned into parliamentary UK; complete with a House of Lords and House of Commons. Pre-parliament, it was just a corrupt theocracy built upon a thousand years of lies, and the archbishop turns into an evil god (basically a giant king Arthur) you have to kill.
Finnuval
Finnuval
Well, tropes done badly are always a problem I think xD
Finnuval
Finnuval
As for why empires are always bad, I think it has to do with 2 things:
- we've romantacized every aspect of medieval times so kingdoms are always good plus they are smaller so underdog anyone?
- empires are large machines with multiple layers of power so more politica backtabbing posssiblle...
Finnuval
Finnuval
Also, holy roman empire aka Germany... Guess that sealed the deal for empires in general lol
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Finnuval They're never run like the HRE though. If anything, fictional empires tend to be pretty unrealistic with how they function, and end up feeling more like the Imperium of Man from Warhammer 40k. For the Emperor! lol. I do like how we romanticise questionable things though, such as: feudal kingdoms, thieves, bandits, pirates, knights, war, etc.
Finnuval
Finnuval
Yeah, humans Just doing their thing lol
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@Finnuval, HRE is actually really decentralized because the self-proclaimed heir to the Roman Empire emperor needed to hold nobility parliamentary [imperial diet]'s approval in order to implement the important decree. I suspect that people who were romanticized those things were people who ware well off, in the position of power and benefit from the status.:)
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@The Stranger, people lived in those fantasies surely well not included servant, peasant's account of what was going on. How many plights? If something was wrong, they were the first person to get hurt or punish. :LZSsmile: Sad, people who are not in touch with reality or do not care.:|
Nightblade50
Nightblade50
thinking Star Wars? haha
I do agree... let's have a wicked republic or a benevolent empire right?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We are giving away a copy of MZ today (thanks to Veno :D), tune in for a chance to win!!!
Making an RPG is a lot like playing an RPG.
'Okay, so the main quest is - OOOOHHHH, side quests and mini games!! <3'
Todays progress report: just a couple icon changes, but it makes a huge difference! :D
I just discovered there's a dark theme on here! :kaoluv:

(Click on "SWIFT" at the bottom of the page.)
Just a little light in standard RTP do magic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MisterG