RPG Maker Forums

Wavelength
Wavelength
I remember having the same thoughts about pretty much the entire Adult Swim block once they changed it from action anime to western comedy. Not that I dislike Western Animation - but those shows were like watching someone that was high draw a cartoon. Probably very funny to them, but not to me because I'm not also high.
Riazey
Riazey
I think just as family guy/etc it is specific to certain demographics. If you are outside the target demographic, it will obviously not be funny to you. I couldn't STAND the belching, but I really enjoyed a lot of the subtle elements, I think watching it with a group of friends also helped it be more funny.
Riazey
Riazey
It's definitely more.... out there though xD Their demographic is certainly smaller. But someone could also say "National geographic is the most boring program on this earth why do people even watch this."

All it means is that you're not into the humor, not that it is unfunny I think. Because it's definitely funny to someone.
Edit: A lot of someones.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
Most of the "Adult Swim" lineup was pretty terrible. I remember enjoying Moral Orel, 'cause it was like dark comedy to some extent. It also got VERY serious towards the end and made me CARE. I also liked Aqua Teen Hunger Force just for sheer silliness... same with Sealab 2021. But the rest? Oh lord, very very bad.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
Rick and Morty is a brainless funny cartoon, so what you expected. If I boardcast an empty screen, people will have a social commentary about it. Human mind is funny operation.
Sausage_Boi
Sausage_Boi
Seasons 1 & 2 were pretty good.

It died a painful death at season 3
Dalph
Dalph
Painful unfunny and actively annoying """for you""".
Your tastes aren't everyone else's tastes.
Quite frankly, you always tend to go against the crowd with many of your essays here.
echo
echo
I like the fart jokes.
Sausage_Boi
Sausage_Boi
"I'm Mr. Meeseeks!"
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
@Dalph If can make me laugh, but Rick and Morty doesn't... Are you SURE it's not a problem with the show and it's comedy? Some things in the world just aren't funny.
Sausage_Boi
Sausage_Boi
Comedy is definitely subjective.
Reactions: Dalph
Dalph
Dalph
@Tai_MT
I am pretty sure it's just your problem (as usual), lol.
Again, you are assuming everyone thinks like you and has your same tastes, and I don't understand what point you are trying to prove here. @Sausage_Boi said it already:

Riazey
Riazey
Blockhead isn't remotely able to tickle my funnybone, the humor misses me by a mile, but rick and morty could. Just because it doesn't make ME laugh doesn't mean blockhead isn't funny to other individuals such as yourself.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
@Dalph
The point is that despite Blockhead being similarly stupid to Rick and Morty, one makes me laugh while the other is painful to sit through. I don't even buy into "comedy is subjective" all that much either. What a person finds funny says things about the person rather than about the comedy. After all, most people don't find murder to be hilarious.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
The problem with the "comedy is subjective!" argument is that it often ignores reality just so people don't have to explain why something is funny to them. Comedy, by and large, is a form of entertainment. It is born, quite often, of shared experiences and observations. It isn't tailored for individuals and is instead tailored for as wide of an audience as possible. So... not all that "subjective".
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
What a person may find funny CAN be subjective. I do not personally laugh at fart jokes and toilet humor. Nor do I laugh at most "bedroom humor". However, they are shared experiences and observations I've made myself, so it is easy to understand why others would find them funny. Shows like "Rick and Morty" rely on "random for the sake of random" for their comedy which isn't understandable
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
without a brain that works the same way to connect the same random junk to the same random places to produce the same amusing thought you had. So, what a person finds "funny" says more about the person than about the comedy. There's a subtle science to it steeped in human behavior and social norms rather than "subjective personal opinion" (which is why foreign comedy doesn't land in other countries).
Sausage_Boi
Sausage_Boi
You've literally explained the definition of "Subjective".
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
"Subjective" stems from outside forces you can't control. "Comedy" isn't really subjective since it is from learned shared behaviors and cultural norms. "Beauty" on the other hand comes from some primal part of a persons' brain and is subjective. "Comedy" is basically taught to you through social norms. There's a reason the vast majority of people can agree on what is and isn't funny.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was being lazy and just copied a map to test a new parallax, but I forgot to delete all the events. This was the result. :o
just finished a bunch of art commissions! im really grateful for this community- people have helped me out so much here- so im just trying to return the favor the only way i know how! :0)
Ami
--- Fan Art ---

F.Mage: Phew...after finishing the Gathering Quest,i can take a break with my Phone. Let's see,what's new in the Fan Art Gallery
(3 Minutes Later,The Fan Art Of F.Healer & F.Mage Pecking Each Other Appeared)
F.Mage: (Spit The Water) WHAT THE HELL!!!
(Meanwhile)
M.Knight: (Nosebleeding) Nice Scenery!
trying to figure my way around the basic functions of Construct 3 and OH GOD MY BRAIN. I'm starting to think that developing decades of RPG Maker skills might have a downside.
I miss my VXA project, so I might be rushing for RSE. Dropping a random progress report

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apocalypticLoli