RPG Maker Forums

bgillisp
bgillisp
Dare I ask what game that was?
CraneSoft
CraneSoft
@bgillisp Granblue's latest "content", which can only be described as "Bomb-defusing Simulator".
Guardinthena
Guardinthena
Just playing devil's advocate here, but that seems like a neat mechanic if the boss was a vampire lord or some other undead or negative energy creature that grew stronger or recovered from death.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah, it doesn't sound like an outright terrible mechanic. I guess it all comes down to how it's implemented.
bgillisp
bgillisp
It also depends on how much 10% is. 10% of someone's HP you can take down in 2 - 4 turns, not so bad. 10% of a million HP brick that takes you 30 turns to defeat (or more), yeah, that's mean.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
Hey that's not a bad idea. Hmm...
Better not let yourself get ko'd.
CraneSoft
CraneSoft
The actual issue is less about the HP restored, but more about needlessly dragging on a fight, if you're close to winning, you spend maybe 5 more minutes to get back on track with less party members to work with hoping no one else dies, or if you are not close, you basically already lost anyways so might as well just reset.
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
I look at that as punishment for screwing up and if the hp regained is small enough I see that as actually a pretty cool ability.
bgillisp
bgillisp
I dunno. Being out a party member for at least a turn is usually punishment enough in most games. No need to make it worse.
Guardinthena
Guardinthena
But I feel like its the same effect as if the boss healed himself. I think it comes down to the players being mad that the boss DARED to heal at all. But I agree that it depends on the amount healed, something thats a nusience and not a headache. It adds flavor to a boss. Little things like that make it stand out. Otherwise all bosses are the same with different images right?
FleshToDust
FleshToDust
Being out a party member feels more like an oopsy. Now if a boss can take advantage of that... Well. That'd be pretty cool in my book. Just my thoughts on it though. A random on this website.

@Guardinthena It's a healing you can prevent if you play well. Some not so artificial difficulty. Neat.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah, boring bosses are far worse, in my opinion, than a boss that has a mechanic you may not like; you at least remember the annoying mechanic boss. lol. Not a fan of bosses just being damage sponges who are immune to everything.
bgillisp
bgillisp
I think it also comes down to how much too. I mean I have a boss that heals too in my game, and you also get a skill which inflicts a status ailment called Reversal which makes it so that all healing does damage instead. Heal now, I dare you. Hehehehehehehehe
CraneSoft
CraneSoft
Fair points there. I'm abit worked up as the example I was using is...actually a lot worse than just the boss healing himself(he also buffs himself enormously and clears debuffs to rub salt in the wound), so I do understand that it IS a punishment however, so I guess it the end it does boil down to balancing.
@bgillisp That's a good reason why bosses No.2 immunity is Zombify, lel.
Mystic_Enigma
Mystic_Enigma
I've played a few RPGS where a Boss recovers pretty much ALL of their HP when they take a player out! It's as unfair as it sounds...
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
Tell you what, I think I'm going to list this as a possible boss mechanic.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
Unpopular opinion: I always consider my players as my guinea pig for my experiment (my game) :p
Error brain.exe is not responding. Shutdown and run pillow.exe and bed.exe instead?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr