RPG Maker Forums

The Stranger
The Stranger
What's happening in the Caribbean?

I think racism and why it exists is a fairly interesting topic to explore, so long as you don't just make it a good vs evil thing, and try to explore genuine reasons why people view one another differently.
Willibab
Willibab
Those emotions is exactly why this subject is so difficult to approach. My stoicism seems to anger many when discussing topics like this. People seem to just want me to go along with whatever narrative they have bought without question...or like the stranger said, im just evil *sigh*
Conflictx3
Conflictx3
@The Stranger - oh the Caribbean is fine for the most part, I meant to say as a jamaican man in America with all that's going on, even though the american protest has spread almost worldwide already (UK, Germany, Japan, etc.)
Conflictx3
Conflictx3
And yes I'm really trying to figure out the why's and the best displays of racism outside of the norm to explore how to end racism in my fantasy, all wrapped around DBZ-esque combat :D

@Willibab - I'm very much the same with being stoic on the subject! Or atleast I thought lol
The Stranger
The Stranger
Had no idea people over here also decided to protest. Seems to be mostly Londoners who like to feel a part of the international stage. I really don't think American problems can be so easily transplanted into other countries which have very different cultures, histories, government policies, etc. It is what it is, I suppose.
The Stranger
The Stranger
The whys of racism, and really any ism, differ from person to person, from culture to culture, from belief to belief. It can be anything from fear to hatred (past experiences shape our beliefs after all), or something like being taught to not trust certain people by our parents and peers. It's never as simple as someone just wanting to hurt someone else, or perhaps I should say this is rarely the case.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Misunderstandings, natural mistrust of anyone or anything not familiar, and traumatic experiences are far more common than sociopathy. More often than not, however, we don't try to understand where these people are coming from. We paint them as monsters, as 100% evil, and call it a day.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I think it wise to understand why people do what they do, even if you hate what they've done. It's too easy to blame the Devil for the evil of men. That's my opinion on it at any rate. Oh, and sorry for filling your status up with so many replies. lol.
Willibab
Willibab
If you want racism and for it to end in your story then mutual suffering is a great way. We tend to join hands pretty damn quick once **** hits the fan :p People forget the petty (like skin color) **** when real **** happens.
Conflictx3
Conflictx3
Conflictx3
Conflictx3
@Willibab that's where I'm stuck, look at the U.S, Covid hit and it's a huge issue still and were doing this "were all in this together" campaign, yet nearly 7 weeks into the pandemic the george floyd video surfaced and now its anarchy (I live near one of the major cities) so i wonder if mutual suffering is just a ceasefire of things.
Conflictx3
Conflictx3
Maybe I'm reading too much into it no pun intended the point of a book/RPG is I can have a happy ending that wraps up neatly lol but really thank you both for your input and interest!
Willibab
Willibab
I would suggest just having a character with a prejudiced opinion of another race and play of that. Kind of like legolas and gimli in lotr. ''NEVER TRUST AND ELF'' and they ended up as besties :p Or maybe some discriminatory rules in a kingdom where a certain race cant do certain things and you eventually change the perspectives of the people on it.
SpaceBot
SpaceBot
@Conflictx3 seems like you will be getting a lot of subject matter for using it in game though. I'm lucky that where I got stuck, I am not too close to a major city, but I live with my biracial friend who is terrified right now. Where we are things are pretty nuts too. We decided to tackle our emotions by working out and taking dance lessons learning Dancehall. :D Which has been super fun.
Conflictx3
Conflictx3
@SpaceBot that's awesome! A small tidbit, I'm jamaican and the last name of my MC is Dancehall after the genre! But yes these are hectic times but necessary it's been mentally draining but I'm learning so much and seeing so much good and bad is overwhelming but I feel something special underneath it idk.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Conflictx3 It's important to try to balance our perceptions of the world, of humanity. It's very easy to be overwhelmed by one side or the other - positive or negative. However, there's still so much good in the world, and you don't have to look far to find it. I'm guilty of being consumed by the more negative aspects of life, and it's so, so tiring.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It makes me feel proud whenever an RM game does well. Even though I had nothing to do with it.
Make a Game in MZ, Episode 11 is now live! This week, I'm going to show my process of turning a draft map into a finished map. (Which most people don't do, but I'm weird). Join in the chat and ask me anything:

Someone: "I'm not mad, what about the way I replied to you makes you think I'm mad?"
First reply to me: [Insert personal attack]
Me: "Oh... I don't know..."
Gonna announce the OCC3 winners tomorrow. Though really you can just go look at the polls and tell :)
Ooh, profile banners! I like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trevol_14