RPG Maker Forums

The Stranger
The Stranger
@Wavelength Is it necessary to do good for society? The vast majority of people I've met in my lifetime have done nothing good for society. It'd be amazing if we lived in a world in which every single person, rich and poor, helped one another, but we don't. Some try to help in small ways, while others help themselves and their kin.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
@standardplayer Not sure what you're talking about. I ate what I did in order to make what I had work. Ramen doesn't last particularly long, nor is it particularly filling. I ended up with spaghetti because it was more filling and fairly cheap. Four pounds of the stuff was about $3 and you could get 8 meals out of it which were pretty massive.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
If you're not interested in advice from someone who was poor and made it work, that's fine. Just say so.
standardplayer
standardplayer
@Tai_MT the fact that you think anything that happened here called for your advice on being poor is astounding to me. Just do some Youtube tutorials or something.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Youtube tutorials on being poor. xD Needs a dubstep intro. I somewhat agree with the idea that being poor is about personal choice, to a degree. However, not all choice are ours to make, but we sure as hell feel their effects. I survived a year or so on the streets (didn't even have noodles), but I'd never compare my own experiences and what led to that situation with someone else's.
standardplayer
standardplayer
@The Stranger yeah, everyone's is different. I got put to work all through highschool to 'save for college', and was not allowed to see my income. When I was 18, it turned out my folks spent it all on 'nasal recreation' (snorrrrt) All at once I had to move out with no money so I could stop having my money stolen, and obv never had a chance to develop money management skills before it mattered
The Stranger
The Stranger
@standardplayer I feel you. I was never taught basic life skills such as budgeting, either. Kicked out at 16 and just had to make things up as I went. Haven't had an actual home since; been living in and out of homeless hostels since then, apart from a brief period when I lived with a girlfriend in London and found work. So, I know that this stuff isn't as easy or as simple as some like to think.
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
@standardplayer Problems are meant to be solved. Splitting ramen bricks in half and still running out of food is a problem.

Also, if you got access to YouTube... you ain't poor, you're just mismanaging your money. :D Just sayin'.
standardplayer
standardplayer
hahaha what?? Youtube is free and so is lots and lots of wifi. I got free phones all the time when I was younger, from people who were willing to part with an old one. Combine that with free wifi and.....and your comment has even less to do with reality. Also I can't get this image out of my head of you lecturing someone eating a half brick of ramen about responsibility XD
Tai_MT
Tai_MT
"I have a phone and can't eat... should I sell this phone for some money I can use to eat for the month... or should I go to a place with free wifi and watch YouTube...?" If you're truly poor and broke, you do anything you can to survive to the next day and get out of the hole. First thing often sacrificed is the "entertainment budget".
standardplayer
standardplayer
Ahh yes, sell the outdated phone that you got for free bc no one would pay money for it. Also, having a phone is crucial to having a job, thats why you dont just put your email on an application. Please keep going, in these trying times we need the smiles
Wavelength
Wavelength
@The Stranger I think the answer to "is it necessary to do good for society" depends on who you ask. If you ask me, any structures or rules of society that do something other than ensure individual liberties should be constructed in society's best interest (and therefore the most financially-rewarding things SHOULD be the ones that benefit society). Any rules or laws designed...
Wavelength
Wavelength
...to benefit just a few, or a certain group, at the expense of others is contrary to my belief. That's my own belief - arguing that it's right (or wrong) will probably take us into political territory.
standardplayer
standardplayer
Yeah, come on @Wavelength, me and @Tai_MT were doin a ramen and youtube thing. Something about poor people and cell phones. Can you and @The Stranger take this actually-related-to-my-status nonsense somewhere else? XD
Wavelength
Wavelength
@standardplayer It's hard to tell whether you and Tai are genuinely arguing or just playing around with each other in an endearing way, but if it's arguing, please treat Tai respectfully.
Wavelength
Wavelength
@standardplayer By the way, that's incredible, about how your parents were stealing from your college-savings earnings to buy cocaine!! I can't even imagine how you must have felt. You deserve a lot of kudos for getting through that and not letting it ruin you.
standardplayer
standardplayer
If you feel that I'm acting against the forum's rules, I'm sure you aren't waiting for my permission to stop me. Tai and I are adults, and this isn't the first time we've gotten into it. I'm not carrying any hate over it, and I can't imagine Tai is. However, I do think it's best to let Tai make the determination on whether or not they feel disrespected.
Wavelength
Wavelength
Sorry, I'll just take my ramen to-go and head for the door then :LZSteary: :guffaw:
standardplayer
standardplayer
Judging by the fact that you waited until I @ mentioned you to address it makes me think either you haven't read what we were saying when you were posting to The Stranger just now, or that you didn't understand the tone of the post where I @ mentioned you. The post where I mentioned you was a joke to lighten things up.
Wavelength
Wavelength
@standardplayer Arguing about stuff is totally fine; flaming other members (however cleverly) is against our rules. I'm talking about comments like 'Please keep going, in these trying times we need the smiles'. That could be read as 'Anything you say is a complete joke'. Or it could be read as 'I'm having a great time discussing youtube and ramen'...

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Unpopular opinion: I always consider my players as my guinea pig for my experiment (my game) :p
Error brain.exe is not responding. Shutdown and run pillow.exe and bed.exe instead?
Not going to lie, now that business is picking up again after the whole pandemic lockdown.... these 50+ hour work weeks are really slowing down game dev work. It's a good thing I have basically no life, else I'd never have time to do this. :kaopride:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr