RPG Maker Forums

fluffymonster
fluffymonster
Are we talking about 16 main characters and you play as one or do you play as 16 characters?
Reactions: MrKiwi
MrKiwi
MrKiwi
@fluffymonster This is not exclusive to games, its based on my prototype manga attempt (if we can call it like that) but I have made some demos on rpg maker and so far the solutions I made are: 1) 4 parties of three specific characters and; 2) Like FFVI you pick the ones you´d like to go with.
Finnuval
Finnuval
Go Suikoden style... You can have 108 characters and it'll still work xD
  • Wow
fluffymonster
fluffymonster
@MrKiwi I think that's a good call. If I remember right, Corpse Party did something similar and they didn't feel like they had too many characters.
MrKiwi
MrKiwi
@Finnuval On second thought, I don't have enough characters... :distrust:

@fluffymonster That sounds so gore... I hope they had a good party atleast o.o
fluffymonster
fluffymonster
You could say it was a frightfully good party. :kaopride:
Finnuval
Finnuval
Haha yeah i guess so :p
But all joking aside suikoden is a good example to take a look at if you are juggling large numbers of characters.
  • Wow
Niten Ichi Ryu
Niten Ichi Ryu
Well, thing for Suikoden is that they are good at giving life to a whole cast with the castle and large battle mechanics but in terms of party, you end up using always the 4-6 same characters for their combo skills or just the fact you like them.
Niten Ichi Ryu
Niten Ichi Ryu
Out of the 60ish party members available, you will use really 12-15 regularly along the adventure. If you want a big cast, you can support it with supplemental features as a base with followers, professionals...
Finnuval
Finnuval
@Niten Ichi Ryu that is true however it is one of the few games where (due to the levelling system among other things) you can actually play with any of them that you like and not be at a huge disadvantage
Finnuval
Finnuval
. It is also one of the few games that at least tries to give each of those characters their own moments (some better then others) and in case of Suikoden 2 and the luca blight fight... You really need a large group...
Finnuval
Finnuval
Ofcourse all that is opinion ofcourse but i think when dealing with a large cast of characters its one of those games worth looking at and learn from xd
Niten Ichi Ryu
Niten Ichi Ryu
Definitely it is, no series does it best. As you have a party of 6, usually the main 3 being MC and two closest story allies, they tie other playable characters along many of the quests, so all groups have a bit of spotlight. They make most of the cast alive.
Finnuval
Finnuval
Exactly. Also because of the way the story and game is structured they all have a pretty equal worth with One orr two exceptions. Which i think is also very well executed.
Niten Ichi Ryu
Niten Ichi Ryu
I love Suikoden, also for the reference to Water Margin, but 60 characters is maybe too much, and it feels sometimes they add up characters to reach the 108 target. I think, inspired by Suikoden, you can do something healthy with up to a dozen PC, and a supporting cast of 20 NPC living around HQ. I think 12 well thought characters with gameplay nuance is more interesting than 60 declinations of warrior, mage, thief
Niten Ichi Ryu
Niten Ichi Ryu
So large cast is a fine line between making them interesting story wise and making them relevant gameplay wise. And vice versa
Niten Ichi Ryu
Niten Ichi Ryu
I'd love to do 24 playable characters though, 12 for eastern zodiac, 12 for western zodiac :)
Finnuval
Finnuval
I think you can even go a bit lager then that but i agree it is a fine line that needs a lot of thought and good character writing :)
Finnuval
Finnuval
@Niten Ichi Ryu thats a cool concept. And I think it could be done with the right story
RCXDan
RCXDan
Here you guys are talking about more than 30+ playable characters yet I feel reasonably comfortable having 14 be the largest amount of playable characters for any game of mine.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Was there a thread that you could share a screenshot of your game? I feel like I found it once but can't locate it again.

I was being lazy and just copied a map to test a new parallax, but I forgot to delete all the events. This was the result. :o
just finished a bunch of art commissions! im really grateful for this community- people have helped me out so much here- so im just trying to return the favor the only way i know how! :0)
Ami
--- Fan Art ---

F.Mage: Phew...after finishing the Gathering Quest,i can take a break with my Phone. Let's see,what's new in the Fan Art Gallery
(3 Minutes Later,The Fan Art Of F.Healer & F.Mage Pecking Each Other Appeared)
F.Mage: (Spit The Water) WHAT THE HELL!!!
(Meanwhile)
M.Knight: (Nosebleeding) Nice Scenery!
trying to figure my way around the basic functions of Construct 3 and OH GOD MY BRAIN. I'm starting to think that developing decades of RPG Maker skills might have a downside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabinasnow