RPG Maker Forums

Finnuval
Finnuval
@Kupotepo okay so witches yeah... Thats way to hard to define lol so Im Just gonna link the wiki on witchcraft here. But basically witches are different in different cultures, timeperiods, etc.
Finnuval
Finnuval
The Stranger
The Stranger
In the modern world, witch is just a term for anyone who practises witchcraft. It used to be more of a derogatory term, though. A witch was someone bad, they did no good, they were liars, they poisoned wells, etc. You'd never call someone beneficial, such as someone good at making ointments, treating wounds and sickness, etc, a witch.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Nor would you call an astologer, healers, diviners, or really anyone who did no wrong witches. Well, that is until their magics had no effect, things didn't pan out how they said, or bad things started to happen, such as famine, plague, etc - then they were witches.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Typically, you knew you were dealing with a witch if they had some sort of ugly mark somewhere on their body. This was the mark of the Devil, a sign that they had made a deal with demons. Witches could also fly, sometimes using brooms, sometimes using other things, which was known as flying by night. There's a lot, and I mean a lot, of local lore about witches and how to deal with them.
Finnuval
Finnuval
Also the source of the power of witches can difcer greatly based on what deefination of witch you use, what culture, timeperiods, etc.
The Stranger
The Stranger
However, despite their powers, they were still mortal. They were human. They weren't demons, and, typically, weren't half-demon either; though Merlin is sometimes said to have been half-demon or half-angel.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah. It's just a really broad term that means anything you want really. It used to be a very charged word. if you called someone a witch, you were basically calling them a whore of the devil, an enemy of the realm, a liar, a fraud, etc. Magic didn't even need to be a requirement.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Many types of magic were permitted, so it wasn't just the magic that made a witch a witch, at least not when the word is used negatively. Permitted magics were only seen as bad when they were wrong, at which point the practitioner could be punished. For example: if you divine that Bob stole from you, but it turns out he didn't, the diviner could be severely punished.
The Stranger
The Stranger
This sort of permitted magic is even seen in holy books (Hebrew Bible, Christian Bible, etc) with the Witch of Endor, Solomon enslaving demons to build the temple, etc.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
What are Máni, Tyr,Wodan, Donar, wittewijven, and Frîja? I mean I know the general, but I am not fully understand.
Finnuval
Finnuval
Those are all norse mythology. Mani is the peronificafion of the moon. The others are all gods/godesses
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
:kaojoy:@Finnuval, I did not that the Norse culture spread to the low countries.
Finnuval
Finnuval
Norse, germanic, celtic, roman
... We aree infuenced by all of them xD
The Stranger
The Stranger
That's why witch is such a broad, fairly useless term without specifying which time period and culture we're talking about. I got bored of Germanic mythology though, what with the overuse of it in modern works; everything seems to be inspired by old Wotan\Odin, world trees, big snakes, etc. Not that the mythology isn't interesting, it's just I don't much care for it anymore.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah, Norse and Germanic myths were basically the same. The days of the week in English are named after those gods: Wednesday - Wotan's day\daeg, Thursday - Thor's day\daeg, etc.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
That is what you learned: Evil Witch Visculamia, Musical Mushroom, Farmer Brooms, Farmer Blisters and Farmer Iron, Staalkaar, and Cockaigne. Wow, that is interesting.
Finnuval
Finnuval
@The Stranger same in Dutch dinsdag (tuesday) after Thingsus, woensdag (wednesday) after wodan, donderdag (thursday) after donar and vrijdag (friday) after freya.
Germanic and norse are pretty much the same with some name changes (kinda like greek and roman) xD
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@The Stranger, you are doing a great job on solving my riddle. @Finnuval, it is true to think about this. Innovation is the art of recycling old ideas and claim as new ones.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I've always wondered what the days of the week are named after in non-Germanic and non-Romanised countries. Do the Chinese, Thai also name Tuesday after the Germanic god of war? xD

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We are giving away a copy of MZ today (thanks to Veno :D), tune in for a chance to win!!!
Making an RPG is a lot like playing an RPG.
'Okay, so the main quest is - OOOOHHHH, side quests and mini games!! <3'
Todays progress report: just a couple icon changes, but it makes a huge difference! :D
I just discovered there's a dark theme on here! :kaoluv:

(Click on "SWIFT" at the bottom of the page.)
Just a little light in standard RTP do magic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MisterG