RPG Maker Forums

MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
@?????? Indeed. It always depends on the particular workload. Consumer side, workloads that favor single threaded performance = intel, multi-threaded performance = AMD. If it's mix, then it's a case by case. Content creation do favor multi-threading in general, but that is not always the case (like photoshop). Regardless, I doubt the different between intel and AMD is relevant for RPG Maker.
??????
??????
I do recall older AMD products (i think it was graphics cards though) had some issues with rpg maker. Not entirely sure on the finer details there though. I do agree that in the current climate, for an all purpose generalised workstation, some kind of 6+ core AMD processor would be a smarter purchase :D
MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
Yeah there was an issue with older AMD graphics cards. Should be fix now iirc. Hopefully MZ will not discriminate between AMD, intel, and Nvidia. And perhaps even with ARM (assuming they're targeting mobile like MV, and also Apple might move to ARM).
??????
??????
Apple IS moving to arm. they have been working on their own silicone for a while. It likely wont replace intel/amd for their higher end things for a few years still, but having another big name brand with the funding to innovate in the space will only lead to better processors being made by everyone :D
dragoonwys
dragoonwys
I can comfirm that AMD graphic card, older ones do have a tinyyyyy problem with RPGmaker (it can't render text correctly if you untick the show title checkbox). And that' coming from my more than a decade old AMD, so I'm pretty sure newer ones won't have a problem.
Shaz
Shaz
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
Gigabyte GA-0X570-UD AM4 Motherboard
Cougar MX330-S Midi Tower Case
Gigabyte RTX2060 Super Video Card with 8GB GDDR5 memory

I don't know what all that means, but I should be able to run most of the programs I want on it ;)
Shaz
Shaz
@TheoAllen no, not just yet. Though I suspect MZ will be out before I have enough money to get this done. I'm waiting for my annual bonus to come in for this one.
However, if the MV preorder came out tomorrow, I wouldn't have the money for it. So maybe tomorrow is the day! Friday I would have the money, but not Thursday. So the preorder might only be available for one day.
??????
??????
tbh I wouldnt call ryzen 7+2060 a low end. its more mid tier :p
Decent wee build though :)
MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
Ohh that's more of a high middle end (processor is closer to high end), and it should indeed be able to run anything you throw at it (assuming you don't use some high power software like 3D rendering).
??????
??????
When I built my rig a few years back I used a similar logic ~ good processor to handle my code, mid range graphics to handle the few games I play here and there.. Cant help but notice you didnt mention an amount or speed of ram ~ which is arguably more important (again depending on use case). imo dont go less than 16gb, 32gb if you can spare the extra funds :)
Shaz
Shaz
I remember reading about the AMD problems with MV. Couldn't recall if that was sorted out or not, and of course AMD is only 3 characters so I couldn't do a forum search. Glad to read all your comments about that, as it's something I was a little bit worried about, but seems it won't be an issue.
Shaz
Shaz
haha - he's also building in a backup system & drives for me, so I don't have to do it myself. I've lost too much stuff to hard drive failures (well, not always failure - last one was foster kitty pulling external HDD off the desk - goodbye game :( )
??????
??????
your still using a spinning disk? ooft! make sure your new build gets an ssd. the speed difference between ssd<>hdd is truly astonishing. I've been toying with the idea of building a small home NAS with a raspberry pi for backing up my crap. Havent done it before cause couldnt boot the pi from ssd/hdd, but they had a patch so you can now! :D <3
Shaz
Shaz
The laptop I currently have is only 100GB SSD, so I can barely fit anything on it after Windows and Office. My external HDD is ... well ... a HDD. The new one will be 512GB SSD with 2 x 2TB HDDs for data & backup.
??????
??????
ahh nice! I only have a 256gb ssd for my boot drive. keeping it spacious enough to retain performance is difficult lol. 2x2TB drives though. thats a good amount of space. I got around 2.5TB of space between 3 additional drives and havent been able to fill them (except my game drive, had to delete trash games from that a few times) :D
Marsigne
Marsigne
AMD almost beats Intel in every aspect since Ryzen 3rd, it's gonna get even better with Ryzen 4th, if you're not running a 1080p monitor at 240hz you'll not get the benefit from Intel's high single core performance
Windows i7
Windows i7
I'll say this about my 3700X. It is a beast of a CPU. It is 4+ GHz 8-core, 16-thread CPU that has a TDP of only 65W and keeps cool enough even with the stock cooler. It has enough single core performance for high-end gaming, and enough multi-core capability for workstation loads. At $329 for the CPU, that's a heck of a deal.
??????
??????
Honestly, I cant wait for ddr5 to become mainstream, AMD processors are gonna eat that sht up, and when the speeds are estimated to be 2-3x faster than current ddr4, AMD will benefit a crap ton more than intel. Couple that with the new pci gen4 standards too, when graphics cards are released that use it, computers are just gonna be so much faster <3
Windows i7
Windows i7
@?????? My video card already uses PCIe 4.0. Its an RX 5700 XT.
MushroomCake28
MushroomCake28
@Marsigne You are right for gaming. But there's also the content creation side. While AMD does beat intel in most content creation software (since it completely ANNIHILATES intel in multi-threading, which is important in content creation), some software who are still much more single core dependent still benefit more from intel than AMD. So it's a case by case for content creators.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

"This is the real secret to life - To be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play."
Me: "I don't to use other engines because I'd have to do a lot of coding."

Also my desktop right now....
mycurrentdesktop.jpg

...I literally spend more time using VS Code than MZ. :kaoswt:
actually, are there any JRPG type games (I guess turn based, so not ARPGs like say, Vagrant Story) where you have only one party member for the majority of the game? (I wonder if I'm forgetting something obvious.)
*sigh* This one turned out really well... except for the left arm pose...
fPRzKSp.jpg

Yes I purposely cutout the arm cause from the pic
A month into making my life/dating sim game and I've finally finished making all of the love interests :kaocry: I still have to make most of their emotion range and overworld sprites but aye I'm proud of myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallmoneyouo