RPG Maker Forums

nio kasgami
nio kasgami
I think game maker is a solution if you want flexibility but it require you to go with some programming bugt it's pretty visual scripting. as for rpg maker can do the job.
Sharm
Sharm
Ah, I'm choosing between RPG Maker engines. I'm currently leaning towards 2k3 or XP because they're pixel art by default, but I'm not sure how much I'll miss some of the things from Ace and MV, which I'm more familiar with.
pasunna
pasunna
why going back...
if it extremely basic so Mv can handle it too...
if it the tile size
shaz had one about it to resize to 32 or 16 as you want
nio kasgami
nio kasgami
Hum I mean if you want pure pixel art and just simple you could go with 2k3 although it will mean u will have to do event system. r
Sharm
Sharm
MV is actually really annoying if you want it to be 100% pixel art. Not only is the tile size really awkward, there's other things that have to be worked around, like the automatic antialiased shadow on the text. Since I plan on using 16x16 tiles, there's the added problem that the icons are going to be smaller than normal and impossible to get perfectly aligned, because 32 doesn't divide by 3.
Parallax Panda
Parallax Panda
I know this dilemma. I think victor’s “Sfont” plug-in solves the text problem but the icon problem is something else. In the end, I just opted for not using icons at all in my retro game. But that introduces a new problem with states... how to display them in battle.
Sharm
Sharm
Yeah, I do want very simple. Part of the draw of 2k3 would be that it would force me to limit myself, which I'm not the best at. I'm not making this game to be ground breaking or even interesting, just a really basic and overdone save the kingdom plot. It's a vehicle to test my art, which is why pixels is a must.
Sharm
Sharm
Yeah, that is a good option. I have a really nice collection of plugins for MV to help with some of the pixel problems, some written just for me. But I worry that if I go down that road the same thing will happen to me that happened last time, I'll spend more time just getting everything working and looking pretty and no time at all actually making a game.
Parallax Panda
Parallax Panda
Well that’s what always happen to me. Cause there’s a lot of problems to solve of you wanna go pixel perfect in MV. Maybe MZ will be better in the future.
PixeLockeT
PixeLockeT
XP! Best RPG Maker engine so far. lol *bias* :kaopride:
The Mighty Palm
The Mighty Palm
I've always used VX ace for pixel-art only. blowing up tiles and icons from 16x16 to 32x32 has never been much of an issue for me. (16x16 to 48x48 is evil though)
Sharm
Sharm
There's a part of me that wants to make a small game in each RM engine, just to say I did. That's probably just the manic part of my bipolar talking though. :LZSwink:
Dalph
Dalph
Personally I can't use Xp at all, the performance is terrible compared to MV so I would suggest 2k3 instead, but ultimately it's your choice.
I still think MV is the best engine overall despite the limitations.
Good luck with your project.
kirbwarrior
kirbwarrior
Instead of blowing art up in MV, I'd suggest plugins that can shrink things down (namely, tile size, but also screen size and window placement). Mind, if the point is a basic game to test your art, 2k(3) is already the right size for things.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Evil7 added!

I did a bit of a remake on one of the maps, also I made a particle for jumping into the portal, and one for traveling through the portal. I'll probably add more sparkles later to embellish it. :LZSwink:
Polished the animation and added details :kaojoy:
Ami
What do you think about the Wood Bridge inside of Volcano?
Yet another gaming question, i'm currently playing Last of Us 2 and want to get another game to play next but can't decide between Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales & Jedi Fallen Order. After the latest mandalorian i AM on a star wars kick, but i also LOVED the last spiderman game that prequels Miles Morales. Ghost of Tsushima is the bottom of my list but i heard it was AWESOME. Just want a good story & fun gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdramose