RPG Maker Forums

mishakoc
mishakoc
I also think it can be fun if utilized well. You have to be clever or creative with it though, it should add something to the game at the same time - important information, developing the MC a bit...
I'd rather not interact with anything if the developer just goes: "This is a toilet." "Some lying papers on the floor." You'd be surprised how often that happens in RPG Maker games.
CraneSoft
CraneSoft
Pretty much a staple in horror games, although it's better to have a few interesting interactions than a whole bunch of boring ones.
fluffymonster
fluffymonster
@mishakoc I find more often creators will neglect world building via the world around them. There'll be something notable and they won't even have the character comment on it. I personally like it when everything is interactable. It really doesn't inpact much for those who don't like interacting with everything.
fluffymonster
fluffymonster
@CraneSoft I was actually thinking about this as I was playing a horror game I've gotten into recently. I found it interesting you could try to wake up people around you and look at the pamphlets and suitcases around you. [1/2]
fluffymonster
fluffymonster
When so many things are interact-able, it usually tips off the player that something meaningful could be found within the environment. I don't really think 'boring' flavor text would be that much of an issue to include, though I think if it's truly boring that's a tell of a weak writer than anything else. I'm still quite fond of being able to interact with the world. [2/2]
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@fluffymonster, there is non-combat interactive solving problem game where you find the missing keys and items to open new scenes. It is great if you can find it, but the game I have give clues, so it is less annoying.
fluffymonster
fluffymonster
@Kupotepo I'm not exactly referring to item hunting sequences since they'll often give hints and clues when to start and stop searching. I'm more-so speaking of the small details one can find by stopping to smell the roses, so-to-speak. It's nice when they allow you to interact with the environment, even if it's just to tell you what you're looking at. Sometimes that helps with world building.
Sharm
Sharm
I really love those things too! Little things like turning on a faucet or birds flying away when you get close or searching a house's drawers to learn about the owner is really fun. Made the beginnings of a game where all you could do was smash pots, and it was still satisfying to play.
Lornsteyn
Lornsteyn
I do this in my project, there is some stuff you can interact with.
Especially books, are a good way to add some lore.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@fluffymonster, ok, I think that it is the selling point of any MMORPG. You can interact with many things. Worldbuilding is great and taking a lot of dedication because you have to know a lot of things.
Kupotepo
Kupotepo
@Lornsteyn, my game, the object tells lame joke. I have fun. I hope players have fun too.
Lornsteyn
Lornsteyn
Sharm
Sharm
Doesn't have to be text, you know. Other things like a simple image swap or a glow, or a sound effect can be good too. I mean, I've seen more than one person equate the quality of a game with whether or not you can pet the animals.
fluffymonster
fluffymonster
@Kupotepo I'm not sure if it's as much of a draw as you think. I've seen more than a handful of games that don't incorporate environmental flavor text, even with bookcases.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another plugin complete and ready for Wednesday!
Just for the record I have greatly enjoyed the past couple months of using RPG Maker MV - enough that I went ahead and bought MZ although it's going to be a bit before I seriously start a project with that.
I have a pretty reasonable alpha of one game that's got roughly 4 hours of content and some bits and pieces of others after only about 300 hours total time and about 2 1/2 months of owning RPG Maker.....
I completely forgot which forum had the personal blogs for members. :LZSlol: It was probably a forum for the Ace program. I was going to see about posting a blog post, but I'm too tired, and if its associated with Ace, then its a moot point. :LZSlol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrigamiChan