RPG Maker Forums

Galenmereth
Galenmereth
The things that really put me off so far:
  • Awful RTP
  • Still that scrunched up tileset lefthand viewer when mapping... Somehow even harder to visually parse with the new RTP
  • Lackluster documentation that omits a ton of info like keyboard shortcuts
  • Bad kb shortcuts for layers (CTRL+TAB to cycle..? For real?)
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Poryg God knows. I like the upgrade, though. Seems to run better on my laptop than MV did, and I like most of the minor changes and fixes. I don't like how I had to change the DPI settings of my laptop just to unblur some of the graphics in the editor, though. Nor do I like that the tileset picker\list looks way more pixelated than in MV. I'm just waiting for certain plug-ins to come out now.
Galenmereth
Galenmereth
Also VisuStella obfuscating their code means I don't really feel like writing any plugins for MZ because people will no doubt want compatibility and I will have to put up a disclaimer saying I won't do that. But then I take away a ton of options from them, so... Yay?
Poryg
Poryg
Conforming to their standards is, of course, not an easy work, because VS plugins are obfuscated. A step in the right way... If you want to destroy MZ's Javascript community even before it started.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
MZ really feels like a completed package for casual users. They're just going to install the VS stuff... be completely confused by the gross amount of options and books of help files, throw their hands up and leave. But Kadokawa and Degica still have their money so I guess that works. The rest of us basically have to just not use the VS stuff at all to enjoy the freedom we had in MV....
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Oh did I say the rest of us? I mean everybody else. Why in the world would I buy it? :popcorn:
Poryg
Poryg
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
@Poryg Regrettably I'm too far in at this point. So I'm likely never changing engines... I've just made too much for MV. If I do it will likely be Godot (JS support so I can be lazy and not learn another language) or Unity that I switch to. Honestly I just like the community here so that's the only real consideration for buying MZ. :popcorn:
The Stranger
The Stranger
nio kasgami
nio kasgami
PERSONALLY I was tempted to update the code for Quasis plugins but I am rusty in RM.
as for the VS plugins I will not bother giving my opinion anymore the whole situation just left me with a sour taste.
for casual user it's good. For someone like me who is used to 3 years of unity. It's hard to return to RM. Way harder than expected (okay I lied it's maybe due to javascript...I love C# to much)
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Honestly it's kind of nice to just have people to discuss game dev stuff with. Nobody I know IRL will do anything more than courtesy listen about this stuff. Most will openly laugh if I even mention RM. So er... Eh, it's a nice place full of nice people. So having something in common to chat about is nice. Make no mistake though, I was waiting till a 50% off sale unless this magically worked. :LZSwink:
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
@nio kasgami Entirely fair, I can't imagine switching languages... Especially to JS which (though it's the only language I know).... seems uniquely terrible for game design. And I think the VS situation put a lot of people off unfortunately, we'll see how it all goes. I still can't imagine coming to RM after Unity, sounds like ditching Photoshop for MS Paint.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@ImaginaryVillain You don't need to buy the latest maker for that, though. Seems like a waste of money, kinda like when I bought RM2k3 for nostalgia's sake. It's your money, though, I'm not gonna tell you how to spend it. xD
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Eh, I like discussing the coding stuff. Kind of hard to do that if I don't actually code with it. But yeah I don't need to buy it to just chat in the profile posts. Still I figured eventually it would get cool plugins and would be worth whatever 50% off sale. That being said... I no longer think that will happen due to the VS situation. I'll keep an eye on Moghunter's Star Ocean Battle System though. :LZSwink:
nio kasgami
nio kasgami
I like rm a lots (hence why I bought MZ) I like collecting the RM's lol game dev was the first engine to introduce me to game design so it was pretty nice. I like rm simplicity since Unity can be QUITE tedious since you have to make your own system....well tbh I just have a reusable system so it's easier xD.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
I suspect Unity would be a lot like just hunting down plugins is for this and duct taping those together. I mean they have a 2D Tilemap project that out of the box might just be better than RM. So I could probably save a lot of programming. But I also don't know anything about C#... So I haven't taken the time to mess with it yet. I want to actually finish a game someday. :kaoback:
Bastrophian
Bastrophian
:o um... what is this "VS" situation mentioned above? What about plugins?
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Mostly it's just their code is obfuscated so there's really no way anybody can make their stuff compatible with VS plugins. So we just won't worry about it, which means you're either going to have to get lucky and hope a plugin works with them, or make a decision on which you want to use. But of course the VS stuff does so much, I suspect most users will just opt for that.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Not saying they aren't within their rights to do that, but it's basically if Yanfly did that... Imagine nobody being able to make their stuff compatible with Yanfly's. Wouldn't that have been fun? :LZSwink: So it's going to make for an interesting dynamic going forward. But it's someone else's problem, I see no reason to adopt MZ.
Shaz
Shaz
I've never aimed to make any of my stuff compatible with Yanfly's or anyone else's. Hasn't hurt me one little bit.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a surprise session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
MZ life hack of the day: using unnecessary sparams (MP cost and Floor damage) for custom stats for Visustella’s core engine.
I'm working on Juzu the Fox right now and had a great idea. I'll try to add Crystal Temples to the game! These function a lot like the ring pieces and their barriers in Dark Deception, holding the realm together. After finding all the key charms, you must enter the Crystal Temple and defeat the beast guarding it.
I thought too much about improve mechanic while forget that I actually just want focus on a simple story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PK_Brody