RPG Maker Forums

KazukiT
KazukiT
This is definitely a good start on how to understand characters on a fundamental level. Their also another method where you could analyze the history of pre-existing characters and see why they behave the way they do via the story.
Reactions: Sigony
Sigony
Sigony
@KazukiT, I do consume a lot of stories, so it does cross my mind as to what their motivations are. It's interesting how fictional characters can have behaviors that make no sense, though. Can't trust a writer to tell you how things might realistically happen. But, even with these behaviors that make no sense, they often have a charm to them. Maybe due to comedic reasons, or symbolic reasons.
KazukiT
KazukiT
Sometimes if you want to make a character you have to use your gut along with your head so they feel more compelling. Well, this is the method I use at least.
Sigony
Sigony
Everyone has their own way. I'm painfully slow at it because I only feel okay about the decisions I make if I have a system that was used to make and justify that decision.
Finnuval
Finnuval
I tend to set some things in advance of writing a character : their ambition, their needs, their wants. Then I write them from early Child hood and start to develop them which leads to their needs, wants, vices and virtues in more detail....
Finnuval
Finnuval
Then I throw then some curve alls and traumatic events and stuff and have them react to that. This will bring out their flaws and strength usually This eventually leads to the character ill use in game. Thats what works for mme anyway :)
Sigony
Sigony
Breaking your player's heart requires a lot of forethought.
Finnuval
Finnuval
Actually it doesnt (for me anyway) as I go for a chaotic, natural flow type of character writing. Whatever happens happens. It isn't until after Ive made the characters that they get their asigned roles in the story based on their choices - if that makes sense xD
Finnuval
Finnuval
As for the player, well they need to get their heart broken and its pretty easy. Only thing you need to consider is when to do it xD
Finnuval
Finnuval
Also most of the real heart real happens before the story even starts. They come into the story broken, the player only gets pieces of that

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami

Imagine you (as Miner) Sleep in the Cave,the other side is a Bunch of Golds,how d'you feel?
finally got footage of my main character running around his corrupted street...
I finally got the ships and water to flow like I wanted to~ the canals are a success. Now to loop the animation for the kites. So many kites.
Bendyizzt wrote on staggqueen's profile.
Hello Newcomer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SGR