RPG Maker Forums

Bastrophian
Bastrophian
:< I wanna get back into writing too... I have all these ideas but when I sit down intending to write I get exasperated quickly.
KakonComp
KakonComp
Same here. The current project of mine will see if I can still write or not, but definitely not confident anymore after not flexing that writing muscle in so long.
Bastrophian
Bastrophian
@KakonComp - I mean, thats not to say I was every any good at it, but I used to write a little bit back in High School... was trying to write a fantasy short story. I was friends with this girl who already had a published book and I was so amazed. I wanted to try too... I still have a little of what I wrote somewhere. In retrospect, I may have been trying to write too big of a story, honestly. :/
KakonComp
KakonComp
I know I thought I was good when I wrote a couple novels, one being over 700 pages long, but I was only 16-18 at the time I wrote those two books, and struggled a bit explaining some of the stuff that went on. I am under no delusions anymore, though I do still believe I could write dialogue well. If that's still true, then I can still game make. :LZSwink:
zzmmorgan
zzmmorgan
While I've done some writing (mostly short stories in the past) in the game environment I'm working more like screenplay mode. And a lot of times I'm just putting together character dialog and then stringing a plot along that. Since I'm not doing a linear game this seems to help with the flow a bit.
Sharm
Sharm
I learned this through art, but it totally works in writing too. You've got to let go of the fear of failure if you want to be creative. If you don't allow yourself to make bad stuff now and then you'll never have enough room to create anything, you'll just be copying something done before at best. Plus perfectionism totally kills motivation.
Sharm
Sharm
Failing is also key to learning how to succeed, so much so that success isn't about learning how not to fail, but to get those failures done with as fast as possible so you can use them to find the success. You can't climb up a mountain if there's only a flat plain in front of you.
cthulhusquid
cthulhusquid
I thought I could write dialogue well, then I found out that games should not be written like novels and having lots of dialogue isn't considered to be good.
KakonComp
KakonComp
I like lots of dialogue though :kaoswt2:
Sharm
Sharm
It's probably not about amount, but pacing. I love good dialogue but I hate lots of it at the beginning of an RPG, because I want to get to fighting and exploring right away.
cthulhusquid
cthulhusquid
zzmmorgan
zzmmorgan
Just remember that it's not a failure - just a speedbump :)
I think the key to dialog is to just think in terms of real comments and pacing. That's where I'm liking the fact that I tinkered with screenplays off and on over the years.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A beloved family member passed away due to complication to combat COVID and diabetes. Rest in peace Grandma.
Just got FES pack for my MZ. The details of the tilesets and chars seem not very compatible with MZ rtp. Look like they are scaled up. Not saying it's bad, but just won't fit well.
I've been busy with other things lately but I'm getting back into working on stuff for my game next month. I think I'm going to fiddle with making NPC busts next, mixing and matching stuff from DLC I've purchased.
Just finished composing a boss battle theme!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim5516