RPG Maker Forums

l8rose
l8rose
Could always put something on the top of the water to show where the character is. Like water bubbles or a narrow reed as if they're using that like a scuba tube?
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
I've been thinking about that. Currently I've been using light to show where the player is. The area around the player is significantly brighter than the rest of the world. The effect does look neat. However the game's so action oriented that in testing I find it difficult to react to enemies in time. Which given how much testing I've done means a normal player would have a very difficult time.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
I suppose I could make the mobs and projectiles more visible... But at some point the human eye only tracks motion so fast. With the average being so much less than that... I'm kind of worried in my efforts to look super cool... I might be making the game itself worse. Kind of one of those, "Is this really necessary?" Sort of moments.
l8rose
l8rose
Yeah, that would make it difficult.
Do the enemies in the water have something to show they're there too?

Well a game is also about the ambience/environment so you gotta balance the two.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
I do make the mobs have a light as well. But the game's already so colorful that lights aren't as immediately apparently as seeing the mob. Projectiles on the other hand... I'm currently using Galv's Map Projectiles, which aren't possible to light up with my current lighting system. So their visibility is very much in question a lot of the time.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
I guess the real question is... Is having to drastically change the lighting system, and provide additional ways to see obscured enemies worth being able to through water? And I guess to a lesser extent fog.
l8rose
l8rose
Could always try making it a different color around them. Something that sticks out against the water's color.

But yeah, if it makes it too hard/time consuming for you, might be best to leave it off. =P
Journey_Sticks
Journey_Sticks
There's always the option to make submerged areas "safe zones" where no enemies can tread. That would open up rivers, lakes or streams as safe travel routes so the player can avoid particularly grindy areas via a long circuitous aquatic route or alow them to take a rest from combat to search for sunken treasures.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
For easier reference...
Underwater

In fog

Just standing on the water

As for making it safe zones..... That er... is easier said than done. I guess if I kept an array of the water events, and had enemies check if they're within X pixels of the event to represent the water size. Hmm.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Mobs are just freely running around the map launching attacks on the player. Also worth noting it's all randomly generated so I can't just easily code it with regions or tiles or something like that.
Journey_Sticks
Journey_Sticks
It looks stunning & sounds intriguing! I hope you find a solution, I'd love to play the finished product. Keep up the good work.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.
Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GmOcean