RPG Maker Forums

Featherbrain
Featherbrain
I have definitely felt what you described... But take solace in a simple truth: almost everyone who ever accomplished anything has first failed, sometimes over and over. Wallow for a bit. Dust yourself off. Take stock and figure out what went wrong. And don't forget the intrinsic joy of the craft.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
This will sound harsh, but that's really something I don't think people realize. It doesn't matter if you complete a game. Big deal. If you haven't advertised it in advance, nobody knows, and nobody cares. So the whole time you're working on a game you should be building your social media, and posting your work everywhere you can.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Don't rely on here, posting here is of exactly zero value. We're all game devs, not potential customers, plus the forum's traffic is a pittance. Personally I started building my socials back in March 2020. That's right, just now a year later I'm starting to get some notice.

TLDR: You have to advertise your stuff, else nobody will care.
SigmaSuccour
SigmaSuccour
You didn't mention if what you made was good or not... :o
In my case, a few people who did come across it, let me know that it was one of the best things they have ever seen/played. (And they look forward to more.)

So I just take it as... "What I have is great. I just need to make more, market more, and reach more people."
In that, I still feel discouraged, that my work is not more known.
SigmaSuccour
SigmaSuccour
(continue)...
And I deal with that... by looking at game devs who got too famous, too quick.
Their reputation is now deeply damaged, because they did not know how to handle the attention & fame.

Do... you?
So I'm grateful, that it's going slow and steady for me. In a more manageable pace.
Meowsticks
Meowsticks
I spent years posting blogs about my project in the early stage--to nobody. No viewers, no feedback at all of any kind, positive or negative. It hurts, yes, but for me at least, it wasn't (and still isn't) about getting huge. I started my project because I wanted to make an RPG. So even with no feedback, I keep pushing because it was never about them, it was about me doing it and creating a game I could be proud of.
Meowsticks
Meowsticks
My only 'goal' was that a single person I didn't know or talk to would play my game, and that's already happened with my demo so I consider it a success already. I think it's normal to get discouraged, I get that feeling all the time, but you just have to remind yourself why you made this project in the first place. That's different for everyone, but never lose sight of what got you to make that in the first place.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
This isn't the 1st, or 3rd, or 7th username I've done RM stuff under. I've been bouncing around this community, lurking at least 70% of the time, getting bored/distracted, coming back with a new name/new game (idea) rinse and repeat, for literally decades. I started "building my socials" before 2008 but I've also burned them down several times.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
I don't know if IT'S good @SigmaSuccour no one else's played it to tell me. It'd be darn deaf conceited of me to declare it good based on my own opinion! :LZSrasp:
The feedback I received on itch has been overwhelmingly positive & very encouraging at least.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
Also I am definitely, definitely not Phil Fish or any figure roughly analagous to your Phil Fish or John Romero type who had already riddenthe get-(internet)famous(ish)-be-an-*******-get-infamous-get-forgotten escalator up-and-down-and-up-and-down multiple times, nope, not THIS loser! Perish the thought! :distrust:
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
@ImaginaryVillain: What you just said here I knew was true about RMN, but I didn't think it was true about here, and I'm still not entirely sure I agree with you 100% about here. People what make videogames also tend to play a lot of them and can make good eFANgelists for building a brand.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
@ImaginaryVillain: Anyway, I know but no one can make me like it. And I don't, I ****ing hate it. Because it means the signal that we hear through the noise is the *******s shouting the loudest, not the talented people doing the best work, in ANY arena. Actually working on my games makes me feel alive like I'm living my best life. Marketing on social media makes me want to ****ing off myself lol.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
@Featherbrain I have a solid 15 or so years of failure under my belt, I'd really like to try another crack at the alternative!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

wow, Surface Tension is really one MF of an FPS level huh
So, I got let go from my current job because my skill set didn't align with the department's goals anymore. I have some hope, because I am currently in contact with a manager from a different department, and they are desperate for more employees. We'll see what happens... :kaoswt:
Noriko_Human.png
Worked on some face-sets. Need to finish up the lot and cut some out of the game. She's looking pretty cute.
Even though I'm not going for the first time in...ten years or something...ordered my Gen Con dice!
Will be focusing on map making today and adding locked chests :LZSsmile:Screenshot 2021-09-16 095316.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krazix