RPG Maker Forums

Trihan
Trihan
If you're in it for the money, you'll always make more creating resources than making games with them, especially when you factor in time expenditure.
KazukiT
KazukiT
I do it myself so could express myself. I also like to share my games so they could experience them. (Even if its only a few people.)
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Well yeah, plus you need only be good one skill to market it. But to make a game you need all of the skills or to be willing to pay someone else to have the skill(s) you lack. So odds of success are so much worse.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
Yeah, I can't draw, nor can I compose, nor really play an instrument (I can kind of sort of play the bass guitar like if I had to to save my life or something I'd go with that although I don't know who's going around executing people w/o a musical skill), nor program, nor make SFX (and I honestly don't really know how SFX are even made). 1/2
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
But I can recolor & edit graphics to suit my purposes, I can create event logic and wrangle other people's to do 80% of the stuff I want it to 90% of the time, and I am excellent at sound design. So I have some basic facility with everything because I have [REDACTED] years experience making games. I am not in this for the money BUT I need money and this is one of the only things I can do so...yeah. 2/2
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
I can (and have quite a bit, and hopefully will again) write well enough that people will pay me actual dollars of human money for it, but you can't sell writing to game devs like you can these other things, since a) everyone has their own story they need to tell and b) 95% of people believe, (85 out of that 95 mistakenly), that they are qualified to do so in terms of style/craft/execution. 3/2
Trihan
Trihan
Learning coding is significantly easier than it used to be and also fairly lucrative. I make decent money writing VX Ace, MV and MZ scripts/plugins for people and the basics really aren't hard to pick up.
ThreeSixNine
ThreeSixNine
Its true, learning coding is extremely accessible now, in fact, it will never be more accessible than it is right now. If anything, ots going to become less accessible as time goes on. If you're really interested in coding, start today. Theres tons of great videos on YT that can take you extremely far.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
If I was to put the effort into learning any skill, it would probably be that because while I don't think I'll ever "git good" enough to write plugins people would pay money for (perhaps colored by my personal opinion that there are so many amazing plugins available for free it'd be insane to spend money on one), any progress made in learning JS would help me with my games too.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
I don't have a good brain for technical thinking--learn code make brain hurty--but it's not like art where I am absolutely hopeless (I think due to my rare combination of aggressively subnormal patience and bad hand-eye coordination).

I'm glad you're making money at this Trihan, you've been around so long you're one of those people I think genuinely deserves it, I've been seeing your name since forever ago.
TheGentlemanLoser
TheGentlemanLoser
@ThreeSixNine I'm not particularly interested in coding as such, but I am (obviously I think) pretty obsessed with game development and there is really only so far you can get with that w/o it.
Tamina
@TheGentlemanLoser Here is a different perspective. I'd rather create games than resources any day everyday :)

If I need money and want to make money off my art, I would just work for an employer or commission. They tend to pay well enough so I can afford rent, food and still have some money left.

1/3
Tamina
But my hard work will forever be part of other people's IP, never my own. I can't join competitions with "game resources", I can't get fundings from investors from "game resources". I am not sure if working on resources pay better than my current full time job creating art. It doesn't seem like a worthwhile time investment. Maybe I am wrong though.

2/3

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

One of these days, I need to find/figure out how to replicate the Brave/Default system. Heheh...
Are ReSTAFFs a thing anymore? Just curious, not sure if this is thread-worthy, so just musing here
Mr_Petue wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
please explain, why you are voting my commentary negativ.
Mr_Petue wrote on Eliaquim's profile.
please explain, why you are voting my commentary negativ.
Uploaded a new Video today where I play Minecraft "The Bridge" please check it out & let me know what you think of it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasler7