RPG Maker Forums

TheoAllen
TheoAllen
For sure, the pokemon kit has the demand :p
The Stranger
The Stranger
Yeah, it's a nice idea. Even if some don't use them as the foundation of their game, they could look at how the plug-ins and what not are set up. If you're thinking of creating projects per customer (someone paying you to recreate mechanics and stuff for their project), I think that'd be even better.
Trihan
Trihan
Cool. Well if you two think it has merit it's probably a good idea, as you're both people I admire greatly in the community. :) Might add it to my list of services, then. I already have a couple of games in mind that I want to "stock" this kind of thing for.
gabrieldiastche
gabrieldiastche
It's a great idea :v
ScorchedGround
ScorchedGround
Would these serve more as tutorials on how to create these systems or as a foundation to build a new game upon?
Trihan
Trihan
@ScorchedGround The latter, with the former being a potential happy accidental side-effect I guess? It would be more of a ready-to-use toolkit containing the mechanics, skills and effects you like from whatever game, rather than teaching people how to do it themselves. But for anyone who wants to dive into it, I guess seeing how it's done would help you learn how it works.
ScorchedGround
ScorchedGround
Well that's very great nonetheless.

Though I guess it would be nice to add comments here and there to atleast roughly explain what is going on in the code / event commands if someone wants to replicate the system on a basic level.

But obviously that's up to you.
kaukusaki
kaukusaki
I had an idea for something like that back after vx ace dropped. Was working on a book of templates. The generated file I use for my in house programming so I can get my games done faster. I just never thought of uploading it because I wanted to show off first (^_^メ) I hadn't converted to MV/MZ yet since I'm swamped getting these contracts completed
The Stranger
The Stranger
Having a foundation to build upon, especially if all the events and what not contain notes for what they do, how to modify them without breaking them, and how to use them, would be a huge help for people. Would it be purely eventing or will you be creating your own scripts for these base projects?
Allusion
Allusion
This sounds like a great idea! I hope it takes off for you. ^0^/
Trihan
Trihan
@The Stranger I'd probably use the VisuStella cores for a base just because they're free and available to anyone, with optional extras for those with the additional plugins to use them. Or possibly custom plugins to replicate the functionality of the paid ones, but that would be a significant time expenditure that might outweigh the value of the projects.
Trihan
Trihan
Can anyone give me a rough idea of the potential legal ramifications of this from a copyright point of view? Like I know I couldn't replicate specific enemies/characters or use original game graphics, but is there any copyright attached to a given game's mechanics or set of character skills etc.?
The Stranger
The Stranger
@Trihan Yeah, sounds wise. Creating entire systems with eventing alone is already time consuming enough, and just recreating paid scripts might be a waste of time. I guess you could have different projects that vary in complexity.
The Stranger
The Stranger
So, one package you offer might be just events and maybe some alterations to the core scripts to create certain mechanics and systems, whereas another project might use a boat load of custom scripting. I guess at that point you're really just offering your services as a scripter, though. No idea if mechanic ideas can be copyrighted, I mean you can buy the Octopath scripts for RPG Maker.
Trihan
Trihan
That's true actually.
ATT_Turan
ATT_Turan
Definitely give it a shot. To me, the trick would be that I think most people who are making a fan game remake of a specific franchise are kids doing it with no expendable income. But I might be wrong; and they might be useful enough to build off of generally.
  • Love
Reactions: Trihan
TheoAllen
TheoAllen
You know that RPG Maker was made from this kind of mindset
Sausage_Boi
Sausage_Boi
This Guy!
Shaz
Shaz
Pokemon Essentials was taken down by Nintendo, so I'd avoid anything with mechanics that replicate anything by Nintendo. You could run into similar issues with other companies. And definitely don't use their name as part of the titles. Maybe a mashup of several different IPs in the one pack, with twists, might be safer. Sounds interesting though.
Sausage_Boi
Sausage_Boi
Wasn't it taken down because of the name "Pokemon"? If they'd called it Evolving Monsters Essentials, Nintendo could legally do nothing outside of sending angry letters of protest, because you can't legally copyright game mechanics.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.
100 problems in RMMZ 100 more problems take one down pass it around 101 Problems in RMMZ
Made some progress on my game, mostly mapping. Learned quite a bit in the process!.

M6eUoTT.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dracul_JOSHI