RPG Maker Forums

gstv87
gstv87
ahem...
if I may intervene with *one* graphic design textbook change:

nuevo-2.JPG

*lighting*
your characters are lit by ambient light.
give them some contrast.
when you have dark clothes, give them some texture.... some fine filigree on the suit, some stamp on the skirt, have that be shiny while the rest is matte.
gstv87
gstv87
mask the characters and the logo, as I did, drop them a dark shadow over the background, and re-light the characters to have a highlight.
that'll frame them against the background.
I get it, it's colorful.... it's crazy, it's magic... but sometimes there's too much color.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
I appreciate the critique. :LZSexcite:

Honestly the characters were all done at various times and I had the lighting all over the place. I should have rerendered them for this. Definitely fair.

As for the dark clothing, I'm a bit mixed. Normally I'd agree but I'm going for a more cartoonish feel so the detail is reduced intentionally. That being said I might try and vary the colors a bit.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
As for the background, we'll just have to agree to disagree. My goal is to show a bright and colorful world with hints of something wrong with it. Muting the background basically robs it of that, instead leaving a disjointed almost pointless background.

To make matters worse, the background becomes so dark my characters no longer stand out like they do in the original....
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
So essentially it doesn't work on either front. Part of why the characters are so dark is the world is so bright that if they're also bright... They're actually ironically hard to see.

Anyway, thanks for the critique. I appreciate it. I'll definitely look into the first two things. :LZSexcite: And consider the whole "keyhole" style method for showing some secret in the background later...
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Goodness knows, they used it in American McGee's Alice, and that's definitely an inspiration for my game. I do like the effect, though not in this particular image due to it's purpose.
gstv87
gstv87
not saying it can't be colorful, I'm saying don't darken the black so it's 0 black.
make your lowest black a shade of color, a gray, not *black*.
don't let the very background be 100% black either... I was thinking the back of the puzzle could have been a starfield or something.
gstv87
gstv87
usually you need a couple of colors, one black for shades, and one white for light. That's *palette*
here, black and white *are* part of the palette, but that doesn't mean you have to disregard shade and highlight.
it takes some tuning to get the lighting right in a 3D space, but it saves you a lot of trouble in the edit.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Honestly, we're just in major style disagreement. Which is fine, art is like that we don't need to agree on style. There is no one truth in art.

As for the lighting, I wouldn't sweat it. It's literally put a camera in Daz in the same location for each render then push a button. Boom lighting is done. Then just drop them in...
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
I mean I'm not going to bother to redo this as it was just a promo to get clicks on Insta and Twitter, so it's job is already done.

But I'll end up doing so later, probably after I finalize designs. Goodness knows I've changed stuff soooooo many times as I got access to better toys. So I'll likely end up changing stuff later as well. :LZSwink:
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
Oh wow I haven't been here for a while and this is quite a change :0 She has friends now yeey!
Dalph
Dalph
AliceVillain in Sparkland

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.
100 problems in RMMZ 100 more problems take one down pass it around 101 Problems in RMMZ
Made some progress on my game, mostly mapping. Learned quite a bit in the process!.

M6eUoTT.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dracul_JOSHI