RPG Maker Forums

gstv87
gstv87
Regex is a way of expressing strings in generic form.
RegEx -> "Starts with capital R, ends with lowercase x, contains one uppercase following two lowercase following the first letter."
RegEx, RamEx, RigOx, RagUx, .... they all obey the same form, but are not the same string.
 Masked 
 Masked 
Googling and poking is probably the canonical way of learning new programming-related stuff, so you're not that far off xd
For regexes in particular, I think https://regex101.com/ is a very good resource to learn from. You just type in your regex and some strings to match (or the other way around) and it explains to you what's going on.
Jragyn
Jragyn
I'm pretty confident that no one actually knows Regex, they just use sites like https://regexr.com/ to get what they need done, then promptly forget everything they did until they have to come back to regexr.
Zeriab
Zeriab
Drakkonis
Drakkonis
@gstv87 I understand what RegEx IS and what it DOES. It's actually using it myself that gets me, proper syntax, all the little pieces that into it, that sort of thing. I see a plugin's code to get an idea how to do something, and I get a wall of what might as well be Greek.
Drakkonis
Drakkonis
@Masked Honestly, that's how I'm learning JS, MV/MZ engines, and plugin development lol. I know programming basics, and have basic understanding of one language. JS is completely different, so it's been... interesting lol. Working on RETRO has taught me a few interesting tricks too that I don't think I'd have ever found otherwise.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sneak peak of my upcoming update! Who's holding her, you may ask? Find out tonight!
10.PNG
BCj
Finished another GUI! Turn indicator wasn't made by me.

ff981f8dc50b03cf58038c644334b454.jpg

3cb092fdc00087acfa0a190fd891f0ed.jpg
Added a small refining scene to my game.

It makes sense that you try to focus on the squishy mages at the back of the party first, right? If the mage can out-DPS the enemy DPS before the latter can kill the tank in front, the fight becomes boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMT500