RPG Maker Forums

West Mains
West Mains
BUT THEYRE POPULAR
BILL_NYE_THO
Saractear
Saractear
I love that you brought that up.

I wouldn't say look ugly, but it's more for making maps look like paintings instead of places where players roam around in.
Lunarea
Lunarea
Lighting effects work best when they're subtle. :)
BILL_NYE_THO
BILL_NYE_THO
Luna: I agree! Unfortunately lighting effects are almost never subtle, in the hands of RPG Maker creators.
Chaos Avian
Chaos Avian
Hmmm, wise words here. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks they can be awkward (although I still use them :/)
BILL_NYE_THO
BILL_NYE_THO
I go out of my way to not use them. The closest I ever get is a very subtle screen tint to simulate the idea of darkness without making the screen hard to see.
Saractear
Saractear
subtle lights work well; just make sure when using lighting to keep in mind what eyes can and can't handle. I'd hope the blinding lights aren't seen as good to the majority xD
BILL_NYE_THO
BILL_NYE_THO
Looking in any screenshot thread seems to convince me everyone loves the crazy hyper bright lights and super dark shadows. It's insane, like a nightmare world. As a graphic design major, I weep for the future of game art.
Gomi Boy
Gomi Boy
a game where you can hardly tell where you are or where you need to go = A Beautiful, Cinematic Experience
BILL_NYE_THO
BILL_NYE_THO
Gomi: Ahahahahaha, yes. Indeed.
PixelLuchi
PixelLuchi
Some maps in the Screenshot thread make my eyes bleed, tbh.
BILL_NYE_THO
BILL_NYE_THO
Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks so.
Saractear
Saractear
I still think that even those who employ the cringe-worthy light effects only do it to follow the herd and don't actually like to be blinded...I'm hoping.
Tsukitsune
Tsukitsune
They did lighting really well with Dragon's Dogma. The Night battles with your little lamp are one of the most intense things ever. Have you ever fought a giant ass Gryphon that just disappears into the darkness? Pretty crazy.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Studying more game mechanics and game design... If someone have some tips, I would be happy to read!
I finally caved and bought myself a Switch.
I'm having some trouble finding an established sub-genre to classify our current project. Effervesce Fallacy™ is loosely based on chaos theory . . . does anyone know what this sub-genre is called?
I figured I should start off with a game this (I think at least)would be easier to program. Demonstrating Card drawing for Black Jack

I'm playing Pokémon Yellow to celebrate National Pokémon Day. :smile: What Pokémon games is everyone else playing?

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baan