RPG Maker Forums

ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
So makeup for paler skin, and red lips. Corsets pulled up in such a way to make them look emaciated with their spine protruding. Dresses dragging on the floor to represent blood pooling. Jewelry made of the hair of loved ones who had recently died. Definitely a morbid era... Can't wait to strap random pointless gears and mechanized stuff to it for Steampunk. :LZSwink:
The Stranger
The Stranger
Well, you're talking about a people who also popularised the whole memento mori thing - propping up the corpses of their dead kin and having the living pose with them so photographs could be taken. Victorian England was a very grim place. It's already steampunk, but steampunk without the optimism.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Children being dragged 'neath machines and mangled, children forced to work naked in total darkness in mines, the poor eating pies containing rotting meat drenched in spirits to mask the scent and taste, the poor and destitute forced to slave away in workhouses, and a whole bunch of other grim things that make the modern era seem like heaven on earth. Dark times.
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
The situation seems very sad and dark but the aesthetic seems cool :0 Like, the fashion and stuff.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
I admit I've always loved the look and feel of the era. Though I haven't put a huge amount of research into it until now. Having a blast looking up the weird dialogue of the time and other history. Sure I'm doing a fantastical version, but it never hurts to sell it with occasional historical accuracy thrown in. :LZSexcite:
The Stranger
The Stranger
Their way of speaking wasn't too far removed from how many in modern England speak. Well, depending on the region, that is. I mean, it wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things. The Victorian era often gets mixed up with WW1 for some reason, too. See a few reviews of the game Vampyr for an example of this. lol.
The Stranger
The Stranger
There were other reasons for why Victorian fashion was the way it was, and black wasn't worn by everyone. Black is commonly linked to the Victorians due to Queen Victoria who, after the death of he rhusband, entered a state of mourning. Prior to that she didn't wear black. Black was also the symbol of sombre responsibility.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I think black dye, or true black, might've been fairly expensive back then as well. Like in the eras which preceded it, the poor would've worn clothes with cheaper dyes; think of browns and what not. Green was also a super popular colour back then. So popular that it was the cause of some serious health issues because the colour was made using arsenic.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Hyouryuu-Na
Hyouryuu-Na
I read somewhere they used belladonna drops in their eyes... made their eyes look big and not for good reasons. And used lead-based makeup which is highly toxic. The article I read about Queen Elizabeth's lead-based makeup and cause of death talked about this in detail and it really sounded so painful and gross... Things people do for beauty :"D
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
And yeah, it is worth noting it wasn't all down and drab. After all Alice in Wonderland was from then, and it's not really dark at all in it's visuals. Though it was pretty common to wear black. Turns out it wasn't expensive then at all, not like medieval times where it was something for only nobles or royalty. Much of the research I've done so far says dyeing an outfit black was actually something....
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
.... the poor people did when they couldn't afford mourning clothes.

Another thing I've been avoiding is the Edwardian stuff that comes about right afterwards. A lot of medical stuff changed by then, less the "four humors" more actual medicine. So 1837-1901, with the whole Edwardian thing happening from 1901 to 1910 or sometimes all the way WW1. Which I think is really what people are confusing.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
@Hyouryuu-Na For people who based their fashion on a deadly disease, none of that would surprise me at all. I'll have to do more researching into Victorian makeup practices. :LZSexcite:
The Stranger
The Stranger
It's believed that the Victorians, or at least those who could afford it, used makeup that was partially made of deadly nightshade. This, of course, wasn't very good for their skin.
The Stranger
The Stranger
@ImaginaryVillain Those slang terms aren't too different to what a lot of people in various counties of England use today. Some have changed, for sure, but the idea behind them still remains. Cockney slang is still a thing, even if the Londoners you meet online would have you believe all of them spoke like toffs.
The Stranger
The Stranger
I remember me nan speaking in such a way that it was sometimes hard to understand her; it was all the local slang, you see. xD
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
Please tell me you still call Sausages, "Bags o' Mystery" because that's most accurate description I've ever heard for them. Also, I want people to still use "Daddles" for hands. Going to sneak in all kinds of silly slang, it's all too adorable to not include. :LZSexcite:
The Stranger
The Stranger
I wouldn't be surprised when it comes to describing cheap sausages. Who knows what's in them? xD One bit of slang I saw on that list, half rats, reminded me of another slang word I hear a lot, rat arsed. Both mean to be drunk, too.
ImaginaryVillain
ImaginaryVillain
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
The Stranger
The Stranger
Our whole society is one that likes to repeat itself over and over and over again. It's like watching thousands of years of reruns of some TV series. xD I mean, look at our fashion. We might think it's different than way back when, but the same trends have repeated themselves for a very, very long time. Tight, revealing clothes become garments that cover everything, which then become sexy and revealing again.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've decided to try and be more social and less nervous about engaging. I'm always over thinking things - from now on when I'm worried or don't get something I'll just ask.
Sometimes a mechanic that is meant to add challenge is just annoying. Even the Final Fantasy games did not completely escape this pitfall of design. (FF8 draw system I'm looking at you - grrrr)
starting working on the sprites for one of my games major antagonists finally. here's the first frame of his chanting motion in battle.
Have spent too much time hammering out with a friend just how to make a reoccurring enemy that permanently learns skills you use against her.
I know what I want in a loose sense. Maybe I should just make a post asking for opinions and suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imfayzer